9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,762 Posts
We use Microsoft on our supercomputers, the only company other than MS pretty much in the world. Vendors don't want to support MS urging us to push Linux. Our IT department doesn't want to because of "political forces". Makes it tough to show the reliability issues we often see is due to the crappy Linux emulators the code vendors made so we could use Windows.

They don't listen to those of us who used to work for the Navy submarine program because we don't know how to make a reliable supercomputer....just the billionaire who owns MS, pushing us to use Windows on our supercomputer....

·
Pickle Hammer Power
4,294,967,287 Posts
sorry..i got no complaints about my job..i do however have complaints about some of the people we serve....lol

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,762 Posts
Retail is good training about the public.

·
Pickle Hammer Power
4,294,967,287 Posts
ribbit ribbit

·
Pickle Hammer Power
4,294,967,287 Posts
It's not nice when they poop or pee but providing they have clothes I I only smell the results... What I don't like is puke... Lol...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,762 Posts
We're remodeling the office at the end of next week and we are required to work from home. But...they're dismantling the company network and taking our computers offline. So...three days of "working from home" where we really have no way of actually getting any work done. That's great in my opinion.

But...I'm flying to Philadelphia the day after we move back into the new office for a wedding that following weekend. I much rather would have flown to Albany, NY and spent a few days with my girl "working from home" and then drive to Philly. We knew the remodel was coming, but they had to tell us too late for me to take advantage of it....

fml

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,762 Posts
Now today, I'm on a good roll and the utility company cuts a line to our offsite computing facilities...again. Son of a f***ing bitch!

When I want to get good work done, I have to surf the internet. When I want to surf the internet, I'm behind on my work.

·
Boston...we will not forget!!!!
1,246 Posts
I wish people would not try to flush diapers down the toilet on planes. Wtf. You wouldn't do that at home. Why do it on a plane. Throw it in the trash like anyone with a brain would do.

Also landing gear grease smells. Awful. And it doesn't go away. I can smell it faintly in my house sometimes. Why can't they engineer that shit to smell like chocolate or something. Lol.

·
that cranky admin
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also landing gear grease smells. Awful. And it doesn't go away. I can smell it faintly in my house sometimes. Why can't they engineer that shit to smell like chocolate or something. Lol.
if it smelled like chocolate it would probably ruin chocolate for you. Every time you smelled chocolate you would think of work. It would be like having the most beautiful girl in the world but she smells like broccoli.

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
I find it hard to gripe about work when so many millions of smart people willing to work hard are unemployed due to inept, inane, uncaring federal government policy decisions or lack of decisions. When was the last time anyone in D. C. showed any concern about the unemployment rate? They would rather talk about something emotional like gun control. Why not talk about criminal control?

Perhaps elected government office-holders should have to go on the open market for their benefits and retirements like everyone else. Oh, and fly on commercial airplanes instead of NEW business jets like Pelosi thought she was entitled to have. And, no, I don't give a damn which party has that mentality but that it needs to be wiped out. There was a time when they did fly commercial sitting right next to their constituents.

Perhaps they should be docked pay when they don't show up for votes or don't vote or BEST OF ALL, not be paid when a budget is not submitted on time per the law of the land or if the budget is in the red by even the first dollar. Not in my lifetime will their royal highasses subject themselves to real work under the same rules as their constituents. BTW, does anyone really think all the billions of dollars spent on campaigns is money at work creating wealth for the COUNTRY? It's "me", it's all about "me" and that malady is what's deteriorating the fundamental character of the country. Our founding fathers created a country for the people. Boy, did that ever change. Now, it's "for the government". Over and out.

·
that cranky admin
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I find it hard to gripe about work when so many millions of smart people willing to work hard are unemployed due to inept, inane, uncaring federal government policy decisions or lack of decisions. When was the last time anyone in D. C. showed any concern about the unemployment rate? They would rather talk about something emotional like gun control. Why not talk about criminal control?

Perhaps elected government office-holders should have to go on the open market for their benefits and retirements like everyone else. Oh, and fly on commercial airplanes instead of NEW business jets like Pelosi thought she was entitled to have. And, no, I don't give a damn which party has that mentality but that it needs to be wiped out. There was a time when they did fly commercial sitting right next to their constituents.

Perhaps they should be docked pay when they don't show up for votes or don't vote or BEST OF ALL, not be paid when a budget is not submitted on time per the law of the land or if the budget is in the red by even the first dollar. Not in my lifetime will their royal highasses subject themselves to real work under the same rules as their constituents. BTW, does anyone really think all the billions of dollars spent on campaigns is money at work creating wealth for the COUNTRY? It's "me", it's all about "me" and that malady is what's deteriorating the fundamental character of the country. Our founding fathers created a country for the people. Boy, did that ever change. Now, it's "for the government". Over and out.
I agree... but there really isn't a damn thing anyone can do about it.

While there may be many smart people out there without jobs, it isn't the government's fault that they don't have jobs. Many industries are shrinking or are heavily competitive and there simply isn't room for everyone. In my industry I get 1-5 recruiter calls or emails daily, there are so many jobs that they can't even find people to fill all of them. What does this say about all of those "smart" unemployed people? They may be smart, but that doesn't mean there is a place or a need for them in their industry of choice. Most of my friends came over to my major or a similar one not because they enjoy it, but rather because they know this is where the jobs are; that is a smart move based on the economic situation. Is that a shame? Yep, but that is the way things work here. If you want to be an artist or a peace worker or something head to Europe, we're a capitalist country and if no one is buying the skills that you're selling then you're not a commodity. Who's job is it to employ people with unwanted skills? The government? So do we want big government full of workers taking over industry so we can employ people with the wrong skill sets in cushy positions with benefits paid for by people in the private sector? What is the supposed solution here? What can the government really do to create more jobs? If you think that the government privatizing some areas will create more jobs... well you're right to a degree, but it only helps people that have the right skill set and are in the right area.

It is so easy to complain about the government but so difficult to propose a solution. A lot of money is wasted in politics, this is true, and if it were not this way companies wouldn't be buying candidates. Yes this corporate run government bullshit needs to stop, but it isn't going to create more jobs.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Oh god! why Apple products are so nice but so complicate to disassemble? I can repair 2-3 PC for that same amount of time.

I hate glue under smartphone digitizer LOL.

Why I have to do so many clicks just to do something in windows 8. Like the graphic but not so much on everything else.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
rotartsinimdA
4,050 Posts
Oh god! why Apple products are so nice but so complicate to disassemble? I can repair 2-3 PC for that same amount of time.

I hate glue under smartphone digitizer LOL.

Why I have to do so many clicks just to do something in windows 8. Like the graphic but not so much on everything else.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Screen replacement in iPhone - not for the faint of heart, the hard of seeing, or those with average size hands and up.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts

Funny because places that employee blue collar people can't find anybody. There are good jobs out there but nobody wants to get dirty and do anything physical. I know places that are desperate for good workers, but passing a drug test, having a clean driving record and passing a background check are things most people don't seem to posses.

I know $50k-$55k/year isn't the 6 figure salary everybody wants, but those jobs are out there and you can have a decent life on that money if you're smart.
Where are these millions of people willing to work hard ?
They sure aren't applying for the jobs that I know of, that is the crazy thing, there is very little competition for those jobs.
I guess poor little Johnny can't be bothered to get some dirt on him or have to lift anything heavy. His mommy coddled him since birth and if it's not white collar work then it's beneath him and he'd rather collect unemployment.

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,762 Posts
Funny because places that employee blue collar people can't find anybody. There are good jobs out there but nobody wants to get dirty and do anything physical. I know places that are desperate for good workers, but passing a drug test, having a clean driving record and passing a background check are things most people don't seem to posses.

I know $50k-$55k/year isn't the 6 figure salary everybody wants, but those jobs are out there and you can have a decent life on that money if you're smart.
Where are these millions of people willing to work hard ?
They sure aren't applying for the jobs that I know of, that is the crazy thing, there is very little competition for those jobs.
I guess poor little Johnny can't be bothered to get some dirt on him or have to lift anything heavy. His mommy coddled him since birth and if it's not white collar work then it's beneath him and he'd rather collect unemployment.
I can say there aren't folks flooding mechanical engineering either. I had job offers across the country for those coveted six-figure salary jobs companies can't fill. It has been helped out a bit by the government killing off the national lab system (still unofficial but it's happening - shit got bad second week of 2009 for Navy contracts, I'll let you connect that timeline). So folks wanna walk out of those places to take $30-50k annual raises to work in the private sector. I still get a few calls a week from headhunters looking to see if I want to interview for more mech engineering jobs.

I think it's business and marketing type jobs that folks want. That, or "Hey...I'll get a degree in English lit but don't want to teach. Hmmm...what can I do? Don't want to bartend, I have a degree! Hmmm...what can I do? I can't find work that will pay $50k for my English lit degree so I won't work."

1 - 20 of 29 Posts