9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought some of the OEM projectors and Im gonna see what it takes to get some razor sharp, sparkly, colorful cut off. I started this weekend by separating the plastic lens from the housing. I noticed the glass lens on the projector was lightly frosted, or dimpled, and isn't optically clear.

The projector itself is screwed in there pretty good, so I paid a visit to The Retrofit Source this morning with the separated headlights in hand to get an expert opinion on how to separate the projector from the housing.

I left with a box of goodies to get the ball rolling.

- 4G TL Projectors
- Morimoto Ballasts and relay harness
- Morimoto 4300k bulbs
- TSX-R clear lenses (They just released Mercedes Black series lenses with some pretty nice results, so I may get those instead, if they fit)
- Lens tuning spacers

My goal is to get razor sharp cut off at a minimal price, so I'm gonna start with simply replacing the frosted stock glass lens with the clear TSX-R lens. The guys at TRS suggested I add the 4G TL projectors, so that will be the next step. At the end of this, this should be as close to a factory fresh plug n' play swap as possible, you will have detailed pics of the results, and you will know exactly what you need to achieve them. If I don't use something, or I need something extra, I won't include it in the final price

I've also got a source for some of the factory pigtail plugs to make a plug n' play harness, if your lights didnt come with pigtails

Bear with me on this install because I only have weekends to work on this, since my job takes a lot of my time, and I'm in between building a nursery for my child (not sure if its a girl or boy yet).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you guys that find the factory pigtails stop being jerks and just post the source? It's really starting to annoy me how everyone keeps their sources hush hush
I haven't found ALL of it yet. Lol. One of the plugs you can get from any Honda parts website, CollegeHillsHonda has them, but I dont have the part number handy right now, and I just wanted to find everything and test them to be 100% sure before I send everyone on a wild goose chase for stuff that doesn't work. If I can find a good pigtail solution, I wouldn't mind making everyone else's life easier by making the pigtails and harnesses myself. A lot of people bought lights from eBay that don't have pigtails they need with them.

I know how some people can be, and I'm this way myself. I refuse to cut any existing harnesses or modify this car in any way that can't be reversed if I need to sell it.

·
that cranky admin
6,077 Posts
I haven't found ALL of it yet. Lol. One of the plugs you can get from any Honda parts website, CollegeHillsHonda has them, but I dont have the part number handy right now, and I just wanted to find everything and test them to be 100% sure before I send everyone on a wild goose chase for stuff that doesn't work. If I can find a good pigtail solution, I wouldn't mind making everyone else's life easier by making the pigtails and harnesses myself. A lot of people bought lights from eBay that don't have pigtails they need with them.

I know how some people can be, and I'm this way myself. I refuse to cut any existing harnesses or modify this car in any way that can't be reversed if I need to sell it.

Yep that is what I did. Made my own harness so that I didn't have to touch my car's wiring. I refused to cut or splice anything other than stereo stuff.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For the people who have eBay projectors. I'm guessing a lot of you didnt get pigtails with your headlights. You need these to make a clean 100% plug-in install. I did some sleuthing and came across a couple plugs I'm pretty sure will work. I've ordered them and I'm gonna test them to confirm so everyone doesn't go out and buy a bunch of plugs that don't work on my behalf. Lol.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Can you guys that find the factory pigtails stop being jerks and just post the source? It's really starting to annoy me how everyone keeps their sources hush hush
I was going to just pay the $200 and get the pnp harness from team3d. i figured it would be worth it just to not have to f*** with it , but hes out,
so i tried to find a wiring harness company but that went horribly wrong http://www.aeromotive.us/ so i ordered
04321-S5A-307 CONNECTOR, WATERPROOF (2P 040F) (5 PIECES) (BLACK) $3.54
(Not Taxable)
2$7.08
04321-S5A-305 CONNECTOR, WATERPROOF (2P 040F) (5 PIECES) (GRAY) $3.54
(Not Taxable)
2$7.08
04321-S5A-306 KIT CONNECTOR WATERPROOF (3P 040F) (5 PIECES) $3.97
(Not Taxable)
2$7.94
i think it will be two different 2 terminal plugs and one 3 terminal plug.I plan in just using my existing 3303-TRO-A01 turn signal sockets for the harness so that saved me another $20. i dont know yet if it will work but thats what i have going.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Yeah... I ended up soldering wires to those individual pins... jerks!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went down to the dealership today. The parts guy says the connectors DO NOT come with pins. My dealer only sells the pins as a pigtail, so it comes with a length of wire that matches the wire of the car it comes out of.

So if you've ordered the connectors, you need part number 04320-SAA-A00, or you need to find individual pins to match the connector.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Picked up 04321-s5a-307 and 04320-saa-a00 today. The clip DOES fit the outer turn signal socket but does not fit the inner socket by the DRL. The socket could easily be modified to accept the pig tail by lightly shaving down the small alignment rails on the sides.

Perfect fit!

As you can see, the sockets are slightly different but it can be modified to work.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was able to get the clip to fit both sockets!

Grab a lighter and an art knife

Heat up the blade so it shaves the plastic with ease and shave down the side rails

Bam!

·
Registered
290 Posts
This sucks, I just bought the headlights off of ebay, didn't know it was going to be such a problem to make it PnP. I am like the rest of you, I DO NOT want to cut my harness at all.

If any of you guys do end up making one I will pay you for your service.

·
Registered
833 Posts
This sucks, I just bought the headlights off of ebay, didn't know it was going to be such a problem to make it PnP. I am like the rest of you, I DO NOT want to cut my harness at all.

If any of you guys do end up making one I will pay you for your service.
At this point i think we've just about got it figured out. Props to all the guys helping tho,its been kinda difficult

Reactions: tmkpres

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I got my connectors. Josh's sockets look different than the ones that came with my lenses.

My outer turn signal is A 3 pin socket, similar to the socket you order for the harness (part# 33303-tr0-A01), but they're NOT interchangeable. The connecting plugs (part# 04321-S5A-306) is a 100% perfect fit. When you order the connecting plugs, you get 5 plugs and 5 of the inside of the plugs you have to fit together with the pins.

The inside parking light is a 2 pin socket. The connecting plug I ordered (part# 04321-S5A-307) is very close, and like josh said above, the rib on the socket needs to be shaved down. You can sand it or cut it with a razor.

You also need the wires/pins/seal (part# 04320-SAA-A00). Put them all together, and you've built your harness!

·
Registered
833 Posts
So I got my connectors. Josh's sockets look different than the ones that came with my lenses.

My outer turn signal is A 3 pin socket, similar to the socket you order for the harness (part# 33303-tr0-A01), but they're NOT interchangeable. The connecting plugs (part# 04321-S5A-306) is a 100% perfect fit. When you order the connecting plugs, you get 5 plugs and 5 of the inside of the plugs you have to fit together with the pins.

The inside parking light is a 2 pin socket. The connecting plug I ordered (part# 04321-S5A-307) is very close, and like josh said above, the rib on the socket needs to be shaved down. You can sand it or cut it with a razor.

You also need the wires/pins/seal (part# 04320-SAA-A00). Put them all together, and you've built your harness!

This is awesome news! I guess since i got 2 of each ill have quite a few spares. i got the 305,306 & 307 plugs so im wondering if the other 2 pin ones i ordered will have the alignment tabs closer to what is needed. if not im fine with shaving them down a bit. this is much better than what i originally thought i was going to have to do with the smash type wire splice(used in trailer wiring) and mini red female spade terminals.. I can hardly wait to install them now. its just too bad now that ive almost got it all together that there is the real hid projectors available. I told my gf that i wanted to order them and sell mine and she flipped.

·
Registered
833 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Someone scoop a set of the HID's so we can see how they look!

I received my replacement light in the mail today. This seller is 100% legit!! They asked zero questions when I emailed them about a broken tab on my light and a new one was in the mail the next day.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts