9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I broke my foot in Sept and left my 2012 Honda Civic coupe sit a little to long. I went down to start it and have a buddy move it a bit, but the battery was dead and we couldn't get in.
Problem was, my key isn't unlocking the door.
So the battery is dead and that means I can't unlock my door? What's happening? Why doesn't my key unlock my car?
Drivers side door is the only place to put a key, and the fob isn't doing anything.
Help.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,390 Posts
Unlock the door, get the car started, and go buy a battery at CVS. Open the key to see what battery it is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I can't unlock the door, that's the issue. The fobs battery is fine, they key isn't working in the door. Once I open the door I just have to jump it and I'm good.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Inserting the key and turning it doesn't unlock the door manually? That's not from the battery.
Have a locksmith jimmy it open?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,390 Posts
I can't unlock the door, that's the issue. The fobs battery is fine, they key isn't working in the door. Once I open the door I just have to jump it and I'm good.
At first I thought, 'why isn't he doing it the old fashioned way?' and then I remembered that I can't get my key more than half way into the slot, and it won't turn, either.

Rather than screw around with that, I always keep my second key with me in my medical bag (which doesn't leave my side).

I don't know if the key will work sans car battery. And do you have a second key?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
No spare key, got it from a dealership with only one key ( was a lease trade in). If I got fresh one cut might that help? It turns fine it just doesn't unlock. Dealership thought maybe my key was worn out, that normal for a 2012?

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,390 Posts
In my experience over the years with many keys to many things, a key that turns means the teeth, or this case grooves, are aligned properly inside the cylinder to allow it to turn. Therefore, if it turns but nothing happens, the problem could be beyond the key.

But since you should have a second key, anyway, I would get one from Honda. If it opens the lock then what I wrote is wrong, and would be my preferred outcome, as a key is less of a pain to replace than a lock, or something further into the system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Update
I went into Honda, sound like the lock mechanism is detached possibly from when I repaired the mirror a couple months ago or its broken.
The fob was still unlocking up until the battery died, does this make sense? The key mechanism is broken/detached but the electrical lock was still attached?
I'm planning on getting a tow truck to open the door, jump it, and I'll drive it down to the local shop to check out the lock. Hopefully it just needs to be reattached.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts