9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what's the farthest anyone's gone on a full tank? Looking to go to Cali next month and I'm sure it will make it on a full tank but not 100% sure I always took the srt and would have to always fill up 2 or 3 times before getting to are destination.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Most I ever went was about 340, all highway (with some traffic) got 33mpg. I'm sure you could push 400 if it's 100% highway but you would probably run out of gas before the next station at that point.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,071 Posts
I'd bet that Silver has gone the farthest. He gets phenomenal mileage.

·
Registered
80 Posts
That's bad news for me. I am driving from IN to CA next month, planning to drive ~700 miles per day.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
That's bad news for me. I am driving from IN to CA next month, planning to drive ~700 miles per day.
Yea you will definitely have to fill-up at least once a day. It all depends on the weather, and temperature. Check your tire pressure often (6 hours after they have been sitting) and they should be around 32-35 psi.

Hopefully silver will chime in here to offer his tips. I have followed them and my MPG's have improved greatly thanks to him.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
537 miles and it didn't take a full tank to fill it up. Forgot how many gallons but it was close.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
I am sure I could get 700 miles. My best 60/40 highway was 48.9 and have gotten over 54 mpg highway after a fill up. The 48.9 is calculated and the tank after was still high around 47 mpg. The R18 i-VTEC is a econ cam and not a performance cam like on the K motors. Instead of 4 valves it uses 3 valves till 3500 under a no knock condition in which premium is required. This is in summer conditions with no lights,no AC usually after the hottest part of the day.

I am still getting around 35 mph in the winter with the lights on, heat and warm ups including snow. I am idling about 2 hours more in sub zero temps.

·
Registered
201 Posts
It may be a good idea not to run your tank that low for many reasons, the life of your fuel pump being one, picking up dirt from the bottom of the tank being two, moisture being three :)
life of the pump, I agree. fuel acts as coolant to keep the pump motor cool. consistently running on a low tank of fuel may reduce pump life.

dirt settles to the bottom of the tank, the same place the fuel is being pulled from no matter if its full or near empty. so you run the same chance of sucking up any debris in the bottom of the tank regardless of fuel level.

water is heavier than fuel, therefore it will settle to the bottom. assuming any water inside your tank from is from "bad gas", it would get sucked up first, soon after fill-up.

idk, just sayin

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,071 Posts
I found that cruise control doesn't always yield the best mileage.

In slightly hilly terrain it is better to modulate the throttle with my foot and let the car slow ever so slightly, as opposed to the CC kicking it down a gear to maintain speed, using more gas.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I found that cruise control doesn't always yield the best mileage.

In slightly hilly terrain it is better to modulate the throttle with my foot and let the car slow ever so slightly, as opposed to the CC kicking it down a gear to maintain speed, using more gas.
Cruise control scares me I don't trust it, I like to be in control at all times.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
life of the pump, I agree. fuel acts as coolant to keep the pump motor cool. consistently running on a low tank of fuel may reduce pump life.

dirt settles to the bottom of the tank, the same place the fuel is being pulled from no matter if its full or near empty. so you run the same chance of sucking up any debris in the bottom of the tank regardless of fuel level.

water is heavier than water, therefore it will settle to the bottom. assuming any water inside your tank from is from "bad gas", it would get sucked up first, soon after fill-up.

idk, just sayin
If you're using ethanol mixed with gasoline, you have water in your fuel tank, always.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
I don't use the cruise control either. It does save fuel but its because it keeps the throttle moving slow and consistent.

I hate ethanol too and before BP went top tier I thought their premium was ethanol free. I still use it and get the best mpg from it in my cars.

·
Registered
201 Posts
If you're using ethanol mixed with gasoline, you have water in your fuel tank, always.
you quoting my post made me realize my typo ...

anyways, some water will be mixed in with the ethanol, I'm sure. however I wouldn't expect this to cause any issues as long as its mixed, and not so saturated to the point of separating out, sitting at the bottom of your tank.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I usually get 250-280 miles per tank, only because i have a real heavy foot.
You understand my pain brother haha I'm pretty heavy footed also, but given a good day and only doing highway I might be able to pull 300, might. my imid is saying i'm averaging about 22mpg right now

·
Registered
576 Posts
On my 2012 Si on the highway I get about 32 mpg and over 350 miles (just going off the top of my head here. I've actually logged specific numbers before.)

I've also driven the car once with *all* of the fuel indicator lights OFF. I filled up a few miles after that last light turned off. I did not feel comfortable with that last light off. I made it to a gas station.

I think there's like 20 dots or something on the fuel gauge.

The manual states fuel capacity is 13.2 gallons for both the Si and non-Si models.

I tend to fill up the car with 11 gallons of fuel when I fill up which means that there is another 2.2 gallons of fuel (70 miles worth) of fuel in the tank when the car gets down to its last one or two bars of fuel on the gauge.

At 32mpg, that means you could theoretically travel 422.4 miles on a full tank of fuel.

But I would not advise attempting that kind of range on an Si. You'd certainly wind up walking! There's probably a certain amount of "unusable fuel" in the tank that just kinda sloshes around and never makes its way into the fuel pump. (At least that's how I recall Cessna 150s worked. I suppose cars have a similar issue as small aircraft!)

According to Honda the 2014 non-Si sedan gets 39mpg highway, which with 13.2 gallons of fuel would theoretically yield 514.8 miles per tank of fuel.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts