9th Gen Civic Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
There's certainly a variety of factors that would influence range:

1) Cargo weight. More cargo = more weight = more friction = less range.
2) Number of passengers. More people = more weight = less range.
3) Headwind = reduced range. Tailwind = increased range.
4) Low tire pressure = reduced range. Correct pressure = best range. (Do not over inflate.) Also, the TPMS goes off at 25psi on my car, which is pretty low, so be sure to check pressure manually for optimal pressure. The correct pressure is on the unit body on a sticker when you open the driver side door.
5) Vehicle condition. Properly maintained vehicle = more range.
6) AC use = less range. Every accessory puts a certain small load on the engine: AC, sound system, HVAC fans, headlights. The more electricity you are using, the harder the engine has to work to move the alternator which means it must burn more fuel.
7) Windows up or down. If I recall correctly, windows up makes the car more aerodynamic and thus more efficient, boosting range. With windows down you create more drag and reduce range.
8) Aggressive driving = reduced range. Gentle driving = greater range.
9) Elevation changes. I'd guess that if you're traveling from a high location to a lower location, you'd get better fuel economy. And worse fuel economy if you're going from a low elevation to a higher one.
10) gear selection. Taller gears are more efficient. But don't lug the engine!
11) Ethanol vs. non-ethanol fuel is significant.
12) Speed. I read somewhere that 45mph is the most efficient speed. As you go faster, wind resistance increases and drops fuel efficiency. Just dug this graph up on google:
mpg_vs_speed.jpg

Probably some other factors too.

The only good part about burning fuel is that it makes the car weigh a little less, (gasoline weighs about 7 pounds per U.S. gallon) and thus more fuel efficient. 13.2 gallons of fuel weighs about 92 pounds, then.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You understand my pain brother haha I'm pretty heavy footed also, but given a good day and only doing highway I might be able to pull 300, might. my imid is saying i'm averaging about 22mpg right now
When I first got my car I was averaging 28 mpg around the city. Now I get about 23. I see no reason to buy an si to drive it like a mini van

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,091 Posts
Re all this talk of not running the tank down too far:

I have run the fuel down to nothing in every car I have owned and have never had a problem with anything. I've also done this with my bikes, and only ran out of fuel once (as I was actually coasting into a gas station!:)).

None of my vehicles have ever experienced fuel pump problems. I know that this is just anecdotal evidence, but there it is, regardless. Just putting it out there.

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
Re all this talk of not running the tank down too far:

I have run the fuel down to nothing in every car I have owned and have never had a problem with anything. I've also done this with my bikes, and only ran out of fuel once (as I was actually coasting into a gas station!:)).

None of my vehicles have ever experienced fuel pump problems. I know that this is just anecdotal evidence, but there it is, regardless. Just putting it out there.
Now that's just great. People are going to have to dream up more anecdotal bullshit that they've never experienced first hand. Shouldn't take long.....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I know on my other car it has an high performance fuel pump and says don't not go below 1/4 of a tank or damage could happen to the pump. Now on the civic since I have an 86k warranty I really don't care to much about watching the gauge

·
Registered
7 Posts
up in canada here... got a 2013 ex here.... I live in Montreal and drive to Bathurst New Brunswick almost every long weekend about 800km.... I fill up untill I cant put anymore in... usualy 2 or 3 clicks on the pump... I got there twice and my km to emty said 10km ....lol one time it had 0km and i drove for about 4or 5 km even though i was worried... i know the area well so i kept passing the gas stations just to see how far i could go.... cruise on....around 105-110 kmh for 9 hours

·
I Need A Vacation
13,117 Posts
up in canada here... got a 2013 ex here.... I live in Montreal and drive to Bathurst New Brunswick almost every long weekend about 800km.... I fill up untill I cant put anymore in... usualy 2 or 3 clicks on the pump... I got there twice and my km to emty said 10km ....lol one time it had 0km and i drove for about 4or 5 km even though i was worried... i know the area well so i kept passing the gas stations just to see how far i could go.... cruise on....around 105-110 kmh for 9 hours
Glad you made it but honestly I really don't get it why do people cut it so close like that.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
With the new designs of cars, Honda has thought of almost everything mechanical. The fuel tank is shaped different so the the pump in the fuel to almost empty. In the past fuel was returned to the tank and heated the fuel so running the tank low the fuel was hot. Injectors and dirt is a bigger problem from mpg to performance.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts