9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 14 Si, and the more I drive it the more I want a deeper, more bellow-y sound from the engine, along with a more defined VTEC "crossover". I really don't have the money to buy an intake at this point, so I wanted to hear some thoughts as to what I could do that's simple and inexpensive. Would a K&N drop-in filter improve the sound very much or would I need something more involved that just a simple filter swap?

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have a 14 Si, and the more I drive it the more I want a deeper, more bellow-y sound from the engine, along with a more defined VTEC "crossover". I really don't have the money to buy an intake at this point, so I wanted to hear some thoughts as to what I could do that's simple and inexpensive. Would a K&N drop-in filter improve the sound very much or would I need something more involved that just a simple filter swap?
Pull off the snorkel tube. It's the one coming out of the bottom of the air filter housing. You'll have to put it back on when the weather gets hot.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,337 Posts
A K&N drop-in, by itself, will not change the sound to any degree that you will hear. It's still inside a plastic box. But if you open the plastic box, as TER suggested, you will get more sound.

·
Registered
129 Posts
A K&N drop-in, by itself, will not change the sound to any degree that you will hear. It's still inside a plastic box. But if you open the plastic box, as TER suggested, you will get more sound.
Id have to disagree (respectfully).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
754 Posts
That is probably going to cost near the amount of full intake.

OP. Save your money and buy an intake. They cost like 100 to 200 for an SRI.

DC sports has a great SRI for the 14 SI for under 200.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,337 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, thanks for the responses, peoples! I really don't have the money to blow on an intake right now. The resonator delete seems pretty sweet, but I'm a little concerned about how that would affect the performance and durability of the engine, since it would be sucking in all that warm air from behind the brake disc and wheel. Can anyone shed some light on this idea? Also, how would that affect my warranty?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wait... what did you do? And can someone post a picture (or point out in the pictures posted) what snorkel you are talking about?
Removed all the resonnator stuff,and replaced the oem intake downtube by a full 3.5inch aluminium one to a velocity stack ,,,k&n drop-in filter and go.. ... Cost me 60$ for a real c.a.i not 350$ like other aftermarket one that will give c.e.l or trottle lag also the battery can stay there,yes not rainproof but i dont run under the rain anyway...and sound amazing

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Removed all the resonnator stuff,and replaced the oem intake downtube by a full 3.5inch aluminium one to a velocity stack ,,,k&n drop-in filter and go.. ... Cost me 60$ for a real c.a.i not 350$ like other aftermarket one that will give c.e.l or trottle lag also the battery can stay there,yes not rainproof but i dont run under the rain anyway...and sound amazing
Not rain proof.... forget it!! This is my daily driver.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Wonder if anyone has created a sound symposer similar to other cars run these days. Just need to plumb some noise to cabin of course with a method of capturing possibly off gases.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts