9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Looking to buy a Used 2014 Civic SI but the car is already heavily modded. Would it be ok to buy this?

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  aliadamm 
#1 ·
Font Darkness Number Circle Monochrome
Seller says he is selling because he is a European mechanic and wants a European car? Says all OEM parts can be included, everything down to the nuts and bolts too. Is this an ok buy?

See less See more
#2 ·
That would be a decent build depending on price. Just understand with that exhaust and downpipe setup, it will be deafeningly load. The Hondata, RMM, injectors, fuel pump, RBC manifold, and clutch has it setup pretty well for a turbo kit in the future.

#3 · (Edited)
That's a lot of high quality mods, guy probably put 8-10k into the car. It's also done correctly, with good part selections and a proper dyno tune. This also means it was likely driven very aggressively. So it depends on how much you want to deal with when an aftermarket part breaks, whether you want to have to deal with emissions compliance, etc. If you're just looking for a reliable, cheapish commuter then something like this isn't ideal.

Also, like Ben said, that exhaust setup is very loud. I'm assuming you haven't seen it in person yet otherwise you'd know that lol.

#4 ·
You have pics of the car? Would like to see engine bay to confirm some of the mods and how well the car has been maintained. Also, before buying, ask for compression test, oil, etc.

#6 ·
I rather buy a stock car. Buying a stock car doesn’t necessarily mean it was driven safe but for me it gives me peace of mind. Honestly like whitesi said compression test will tell you if the car is healthy. If there’s maintenance records it’s a plus. A car like that with all those mods does mean that it was beaten so something to keep in mind. However, that car looks like it’s boost ready. If car can pass inspection i think that’s a plus too

#8 ·
Seller says he is selling because he is a European mechanic and wants a European car? Says all OEM parts can be included, everything down to the nuts and bolts too. Is this an ok buy?
If you are wanting a daily driver.
NO is my answer.
If you don't know how to fix cars or motos yourself.
NO is my answer.
If you don't have a lot of money.
NO is my answer.

#9 ·
In what would have been post #2 in this thread, I was going to state my preference for stock cars, as well.

But I do remember being young(er), when my shorts would get all in an uproar over some modded hot rod, and how trying to convince me otherwise was often a futile pursuit.

So to the OP, if you're not gonna go stock, take the advice of those who suggested a thorough checking out of the car in question. Use extreme caution, and try to make decisions with the big head.

#10 ·
In what would have been post #2 in this thread, I was going to state my preference for stock cars, as well.

But I do remember being young(er), when my shorts would get all in an uproar over some modded hot rod, and how trying to convince me otherwise was often a futile pursuit.

So to the OP, if you're not gonna go stock, take the advice of those who suggested a thorough checking out of the car in question.

Use extreme caution, and try to make decisions with the big head.
Big head! 😆😆😆

#11 ·
1st thing I would do,is get a compression check.
Why? Well because it's a k24z7 and some of these were infamous for oil consumption.
Add on top of that Achilles heel and all the mods and probably beat like a w.ho.r.e,then it's probably safe to say you should get a compression check. Otherwise you're going to end up with a car with lots of mods and a toasted motor. Some of us were lucky and got solid motors some had the famous valvetrain failures ,others were eating oil like a buffet.

#12 ·
Was it a significant problem after the 2012 MY?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.