9th Gen Civic Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Elantra was my second choice because it won the car of the year in Detroit. And I like the 100k/ 10-yr warranty. But I still chose Honda over Elantra. Bottom line I love my Honda.

Exxxtreme (R18 #1971) (FB2 #88)
You're into that kind of marketing propaganda:cheerleader1:

North American car of the year in 1995: Chrysler Cirrus
2000: Ford Focus
2001: PT Cruiser

Only to name a few...

Nuf said

p.s. First post but long time lurker...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Honda for sure i jus bought the lx coupe and im 20 years old with no credit got mine for 17 even an i would prolly never go back to a different car

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hi all,

I ended up going with the Elantra. The Honda dealer offered me the 2012 Civic LX for $17,400. The same company/owner also owns a Hyundai dealership just down the same road. The same sales man offered to sell me the Hyundai as well. They wanted $19,200 for the 2013 Elantra GLS with the preferred equipment bundle (bluetooth, heated seats, powered rear view mirror, nicer wheels, etc). I called another dealership (there's only one other Hyundai dealership in town), and they said $18,800 for the exact same car. I called the first guy again, and they told me the second guy is lying and will never sell me the car for that much, that they're just wasting my time, etc. Well I called the second dealership back. They asked me to come in. They said $18,800 final. I kept the advice that another poster here said - treat them as if they're trying to rip you off. I told them anything over $18,000 was out of my budget. I got up and left. They acted like I was insane. Well... they called me back two days later and said they would do $18,000. I went with a good friend who knows quite a bit about cars, engines, customizing, etc. We inspected the car. Everything looked good, and it only had 7 miles on it. Signed the paper work. Drove off.

They gave me 2.9% financing, which I suppose is fine considering I hardly have any credit history. I did show them a job letter for the job I'm starting and my college transcript.

I don't race or do anything of that type. I found the GLS to be much more attractive in the inside and outside, including the better warranty. I liked driving it more as well. While I'm sure the Civic has nice quality parts, I felt that I was paying not for the car itself as much as for the Honda brand name. Also, I don't think Hyundai being Korean is necessarily a bad thing. Samsung and LG are also Korean companies. I have a Samsung Galaxy S phone that I think is excellent! =D

·
May 2012 K24Z7 ROTM Winner
405 Posts
IMO the main downside to Hyundai is resale value, but if you're planning on keeping it until its paid off it won't be much of an issue. Good luck with the new car!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hi all,

I ended up going with the Elantra. The Honda dealer offered me the 2012 Civic LX for $17,400. The same company/owner also owns a Hyundai dealership just down the same road. The same sales man offered to sell me the Hyundai as well. They wanted $19,200 for the 2013 Elantra GLS with the preferred equipment bundle (bluetooth, heated seats, powered rear view mirror, nicer wheels, etc). I called another dealership (there's only one other Hyundai dealership in town), and they said $18,800 for the exact same car. I called the first guy again, and they told me the second guy is lying and will never sell me the car for that much, that they're just wasting my time, etc. Well I called the second dealership back. They asked me to come in. They said $18,800 final. I kept the advice that another poster here said - treat them as if they're trying to rip you off. I told them anything over $18,000 was out of my budget. I got up and left. They acted like I was insane. Well... they called me back two days later and said they would do $18,000. I went with a good friend who knows quite a bit about cars, engines, customizing, etc. We inspected the car. Everything looked good, and it only had 7 miles on it. Signed the paper work. Drove off.

They gave me 2.9% financing, which I suppose is fine considering I hardly have any credit history. I did show them a job letter for the job I'm starting and my college transcript.

I don't race or do anything of that type. I found the GLS to be much more attractive in the inside and outside, including the better warranty. I liked driving it more as well. While I'm sure the Civic has nice quality parts, I felt that I was paying not for the car itself as much as for the Honda brand name. Also, I don't think Hyundai being Korean is necessarily a bad thing. Samsung and LG are also Korean companies. I have a Samsung Galaxy S phone that I think is excellent! =D
True. The down side is the resale value. Our other car is an Elantra. Same as your car. We got 100K/ 10 yrs warranty bumper to bumper. The interior is way better than my LX. Elantra won the car of the year for 2012 in Detroit Car Show. Honda in 3rd place. Good luck with your new car.

Exxxtreme ?
(R18 #1971) (FB2 #88)

·
Registered
709 Posts
Don't feel bad that it's a Korean made. Hyundai won car of the year 2010, 2011 for Sonata and 2012 for Elantra. It's not going to win if it's not a good car. Honda went short this year. However, I still ended up owning one.

Exxxtreme ?
(R18 #1971) (FB2 #88)

21 - 26 of 26 Posts