9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just bought a full stock 2014 Civic Si, and I cant wait to start MODing. First one I want to start with is either Flashpro or Ktuner, from what I read Flashpro is more expensive, but you are able to datalog on the device without having to bring your laptop in the car. Are their multiple benefits to having Flashpro or is it marked up because of having a longer reputation. Any opinions on the better product? I havent decided if I am going to E-tune or Dyno-tune locally, but I figured I could at least do a stock basemap that will boost me up a little.

Any info at all helps, and thanks for reading!!!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Most people on here seem to run Flashpro. I know theres gotta be a thread comparing the two, but Flashpro seems to be the way to go. For tuning i'd rather have a dyno tune, however that can wait until you have some mods that require a tune to make the car run right i.e catless downpipe, 3.5 intake things like that. I say dyno tune for convenience, no knock on the e-tune guys but that is a process that seems to take weeks to get really dialed in.

·
Registered
300 Posts
It depends on what you want to do. Flashpro is better if you plan on going Turbo, its a tad more expensive and just has better fail safe mechanisms. Ktuner is a better option if you just wanna do N/A as its less expensive. Then you have to think about who's going to tune it. Vit only does etuning with the flashpro. That's why I bought the flashpro because the tuner was notable. I know there are just as notable tuners out there but it depends on who you want to tune, how much you want to pay and what do you want to get out of the application in total.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Vit is no longer selling etuning services ?.

I saw he took a job with Motec and most likely accepted a full time position. I hope we can find another reputable tuner moving forward.

For those who have not saved your calibrations, download them now before the servers go down.

It depends on what you want to do. Flashpro is better if you plan on going Turbo, its a tad more expensive and just has better fail safe mechanisms. Ktuner is a better option if you just wanna do N/A as its less expensive. Then you have to think about who's going to tune it. Vit only does etuning with the flashpro. That's why I bought the flashpro because the tuner was notable. I know there are just as notable tuners out there but it depends on who you want to tune, how much you want to pay and what do you want to get out of the application in total.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I saw he took a job with Motec and most likely accepted a full time position. I hope we can find another reputable tuner moving forward.

For those who have not saved your calibrations, download them now before the servers go down.

Wow I literally checked two days ago and his etune services we're available, and now they say theyre not. I haven't thought about getting dyno-tuned because I've read about some horror stories of people just throwing basemaps on, and i havent met anyone in the dc area that knows of a reputible tuner. First "newish" car and as a noob i am worried of making a wrong move. Lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't realize you could get away without tuning on some of the MODs. Are there any others that dont require tuning, or do all MODs related to increased hp need to be tuned?

Most people on here seem to run Flashpro. I know theres gotta be a thread comparing the two, but Flashpro seems to be the way to go. For tuning i'd rather have a dyno tune, however that can wait until you have some mods that require a tune to make the car run right i.e catless downpipe, 3.5 intake things like that. I say dyno tune for convenience, no knock on the e-tune guys but that is a process that seems to take weeks to get really dialed in.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,542 Posts
Iketh?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m in KCMO, and there’s a couple reputable shops here in town with dynos. They have a dealer license setup with Hondata, where you (the customer) pay for a license from Hondata, the shop dyno tunes your car, and that license is valid for any fine tuning/tweaking specific to your VIN.

You may check and see if any shops near you do that. Good luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m in KCMO, and there’s a couple reputable shops here in town with dynos. They have a dealer license setup with Hondata, where you (the customer) pay for a license from Hondata, the shop dyno tunes your car, and that license is valid for any fine tuning/tweaking specific to your VIN.

You may check and see if any shops near you do that. Good luck!
I will definitely try looking for one of those. If the price is reasonable it sounds like a great idea!!!

·
Registered
300 Posts

There are plenty of reputable etuners out there and not all dyno tuners are terrible, you just have to know what kind of tune they're doing and what type of machine they use.

if you go through kseriespros.com they have an etuning services with Derek Robinson at Innovative Motorsport. Also very reputable and does tunes from scratch. There is also Dardan tunes & Javi Tunes, both I hear good things. Its about a tuner that street tunes everything and not just a couple pulls on a dyno, its not real world imo. Also Vit only tuned on Hondata, plenty of other people have been etuned on ktuner no problem.

Hondata etunes
https://kseriespros.com/hondata-flashpro-ksp-e-tune/

Ktuner etunes
https://kseriespros.com/ktuner-ksp-e-tune/

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

There are plenty of reputable etuners out there and not all dyno tuners are terrible, you just have to know what kind of tune they're doing and what type of machine they use.

if you go through kseriespros.com they have an etuning services with Derek Robinson at Innovative Motorsport. Also very reputable and does tunes from scratch. There is also Dardan tunes & Javi Tunes, both I hear good things. Its about a tuner that street tunes everything and not just a couple pulls on a dyno, its not real world imo. Also Vit only tuned on Hondata, plenty of other people have been etuned on ktuner no problem.

Hondata etunes

Ktuner etunes
Interesting... Any idea on the turn around time. I know Vits was 1-3 months, is that typical of most etuners or was the length just due to the work load?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Interesting... Any idea on the turn around time. I know Vits was 1-3 months, is that typical of most etuners or was the length just due to the work load?
I'm not too sure what the turn around time is for KSP Tunes. Vit turnaround time could be a combination of both of those factors, I tuned with vit N/A and I JUST made the cutoff time for his last tunes with hondata for my turbo install this friday. I had and have again high priority and would have at least 4-5 tunes a week so it wasn't that bad. But whats nice is how the tune is being built, you want a lot of pulls in different conditions. The more datalog's the tuner can get his hands on with all the varying results, he can perform a lot of the fine tweaks and also spot potential issues when reaching the limit. Saying that I personally didn't mind the tune turnarounds being 1 a day or every couple of days. The assurance of it getting done right, worth any wait.

Reactions: 202siGUY

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How about this... Which do you think produces better performance with an all stock tune using one of the basemaps/reflash... and does ktuner even come with any?

·
Registered
300 Posts
How about this... Which do you think produces better performance with an all stock tune using one of the basemaps/reflash... and does ktuner even come with any?
I can tell you Flashpro comes with a basemap and I did notice an immediate difference with the basemap. Definitely sounded meaner, as if the ECU was overclocked a little to the motor. The rev hang dropped quicker but no basemap beats a true tune.

about the ktuner I'm not sure if it comes with any basemap's but I image it does. I also feel it may do the same as the Hondata, they seem to be pretty on top of their game as well. They weren't out when I bought my Hondata so I haven't even seen one before.

You could always learn to tune it yourself. ;P

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can tell you Flashpro comes with a basemap and I did notice an immediate difference with the basemap. Definitely sounded meaner, as if the ECU was overclocked a little to the motor. The rev hang dropped quicker but no basemap beats a true tune.

about the ktuner I'm not sure if it comes with any basemap's but I image it does. I also feel it may do the same as the Hondata, they seem to be pretty on top of their game as well. They weren't out when I bought my Hondata so I haven't even seen one before.

You could always learn to tune it yourself. ;P
How long do you think you can drive on a stock tuned basemap without hurting the car since its not a custom tune? Should you be avoiding WOT during that time, or is it fine?

·
Registered
300 Posts
How long do you think you can drive on a stock tuned basemap without hurting the car since its not a custom tune? Should you be avoiding WOT during that time, or is it fine?
A stock tuned basemap won't really hurt the car. Most of the basemap's are not that good and will still make you run rich. Rich is safer than running lean, but when you run rich you will be wasting a lot of gas and have the occasional backfire. Car runs really rich stock so it will be equivalent if not a little better. What you should do is bluetooth connect your phone/tablet to your Hondata and use the HUD to watch over your A/F ratios. Make sure it doesn't go over 14.7 during a WOT.

·
Registered
218 Posts

Hondata etunes

Ktuner etunes

Did not know of other etuning services other than vit and iketh, thanks for this info.

I contacted kseriespro for more info, their etuning service is quite cheap, only $250 USD. They told me that Derek is quick at sending tunes, usually the same business day.
Now it comes down to whether I want to get my car dyno-tuned locally from a reputable honda tuner for $450 CAD or go the Derek Robinson route for $320 CAD.

I'm waiting for a used FR or RV6 DP to go on sale and that will then complete my build, performance wise. Until then, I'll think hard about what tuning route I'll go.
I know road tuning is recommended over WOT dyno pulls, but constantly uploading tunes is a pain and a lengthy process, but if you want the best it isn't going to be quick & easy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts