9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Honda Civic 2012. Recently I see the oil remnant at the top hose. I'm not sure
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Wood

This is the second problem. There is a leak from the front main seal.. I guess that's what you call it. I noticed this issue since I bought the car at 55K and now it's 100K miles. It seems to lose very little oil from each oil change. Should I just tighten each bolt a bit more instead of fixing it?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rim Bumper

Automotive tire Hood Rim Bumper Automotive wheel system

Tire Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,850 Posts
Re the second problem, that looks like it's been going on a while, but doesn't seem to be critical. I would clean off that entire surface and see just how much/how bad it gets in what time frame, and then go from there.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,850 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just fixed a major leak on one of our Hondas (we have a considerable "family fleet" ... plus one Acura [mine :cool:]). I followed the posts from above.
  • First, I warmed up the engine, i.e., came back from a needed short drive, and then ...
  • Parked in my driveway in an area that would drain well to the gutter.
  • Got out the garden hose with adjustable nozzle
  • Made sure engine was not "too hot", just warmed up
  • Sprayed area with a really good grade of engine degreaser (CRC Pro-Strength), let it do its work
  • Sprayed down with a narrow spray stream of water (avoid the alternator and work to not hit electricals)
  • Cleaned tough sports with paper towels
Drove around, found the leak (leaking camshaft thrust cover plate on Honda V6), replaced the O-ring for that particular item with an OEM Honda part.

On another note, your leak is not a "major leak" from the looks of it.

OF

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have Honda Civic 2012. Recently I see the oil remnant at the top hose. I'm not sure

This is the second problem. There is a leak from the front main seal.. I guess that's what you call it. I noticed this issue since I bought the car at 55K and now it's 100K miles. It seems to lose very little oil from each oil change. Should I just tighten each bolt a bit more instead of fixing it?
change your pcv valve... its likely sticking and building up excess crank case pressure which is blowing oil out the seals and hoses.

clean up the oily mess, run some atp at-205 in the crank case a 1000 miles before your next oil change, and observe if the leaks stop.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
change your pcv valve... its likely sticking and building up excess crank case pressure which is blowing oil out the seals and hoses.

clean up the oily mess, run some atp at-205 in the crank case a 1000 miles before your next oil change, and observe if the leaks stop.
When I bought the car at 55K miles, l noticed the leak so I bought an OEM PCV valve for replacement because I thought it was the issue. It's 100K miles now so not sure if I should get another one. About $30 for a piece

·
Registered
340 Posts
When I bought the car at 55K miles, l noticed the leak so I bought an OEM PCV valve for replacement because I thought it was the issue. It's 100K miles now so not sure if I should get another one. About $30 for a piece
Honda genuine? seems to be issues with various aftermarket ones.
last couple I tried R18 and K24's, that were not from Honda would rattle.
waste of 30 bux.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts