9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I bought an aftermarket set of speakers for my Civic EX with Navi. After installation, I notice that I loss a subsequent amount of bass when I tested it. I have no subwoofer and amp installed yet. I do believe that installing a subwoofer would give me my much needed bass. Is there any other way around this? Like installing an amp? I prefer to keep the space in my trunk. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you sirs!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Sounds like your aftermarket speakers is in dire need of power, a 4-channel amp would greatly help. My plan for my sub is to bypass the oem amp with a line out converter connected to the new amp and debating if I need new for higher current.

·
Registered
565 Posts
What speakers did you buy?

Anyway, yes... the stock HU is not providing enough power to your speakers most likely. You will benefit from a 4-channel amp and eventually a subwoofer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought Rockford Fosgate T165 and T165-S. My friend recommended it to me since I do not want to add a subwoofer in my system. I just would like to know if buying an amp would help me remedy the shortage of power so that my speakers would generate my much needed bass?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Yes, but as most 6.5s speakers give more mid to upper range bass (greater than 51hz). So if youre looking for low range bass (less than 50hz) than you need a sub.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Like every body else said, your speakers sound like that because they are underpowered. I suggest you pick up an amp that matches the RMS of the speakers. I would suggest a Rockford Fosgate PBR300x4. That will give you 75 watts RMS at each speaker. The speakers you have are right around 75 watts RMS. I have the PBR300x2 bridged running my sub and its an awesome amp on a tiny footprint and it barely gets warm. You can either use RCA or direct speaker wire for inputs, so this option works great with keeping the stock head unit.

As far as bass, one thing you could try is running the front speakers at the full range of sound and enabling the low pass filter on the rear speakers (done through the amp). This would give the rear speakers a lower frequency range and essentially make them act as small subs. It would be worth a try before buying a sub. It may be enough bass for you.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just ran into the same issue with my car. I installed polk db651 (I believe?) speakers and there was hardly any low end. I just installed the Rockford Fosgate PBR300x4 last night and it sounds so much better. I still have to finish tweaking it to my liking, but it was definitely worth installing. I'm still undecided about a sub though...

Sent from my DROID4 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
405 Posts
If your worried about trunk space, dont get anything big. You could sinply go with one sub and i feel that would fufill your needs

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'm selling a 60w RMS per channel JBL 4-channel amp (150watt bridged) and an Infinity Basslink. This might work very well for what you want.

·
Registered
54 Posts
After testing it out a bit today, the Rockford Fosgate amp works great. I did find out the hard way, however, if you use speaker level inputs, it uses the remote wire as an output. If you connect that to your head unit, it'll come back on after you take the key out. In terms of trunk space, this little amp is really small. I mounted mine directly to the ceiling of my trunk and you can't even see it unless you stick your head in and look up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@TheLostAmish,

Sir, is your setup without a sub? Im thinking not to put any subwoofer. Im not that much of a "I'll blow your window" type of driver.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Haha, I hear ya on that one. Currently I do not have a sub, but I am considering getting one. When I installed my 4 channel amp, I used a 4 gauge wire for the power and ran that to a distribution block in my trunk. Then I ran an 8 gauge wire from the distribution block to the amp. That way, everything is set up so if I want to add a sub, all I'd need to do is run another wire from the distribution block for power, ground it, then tap into the rear speakers.

The 4 channel amp alone did add quite a bit of low end. I usually listen to music on my phone via the auxiliary cable, so thankfully I can use an equalizer to make it sound better. Sadly, the "Laptop Speakers" preset is what makes it sound the best. Lol

·
Registered
144 Posts
Could you have reversed one of the wires on a speaker? If the left + right are wired differently, they'll fire out of phase, and that can result in a good amount of lost bass.

So double-check the polarity of your wiring.

Chip H.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had my amp installed today. Everything is working fine and the sound is very good. Thank you all for your help. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not for now I guess sir. I would if I have spare money. but for now, I am satisfied with the outcome of the sound. i have another problem though; my navi unit lost power and now it needs to reset. I will post pictures of this project.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I left the OEM speakers in the front and replaced the back with Kicker's. It was definitely the way to go to preserve bass. I experimented with 4 sets of speakers in different setups. Factory front, aftermarket back, JL sub in the rear deck.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The front speakers are fairly decent for OEM, maybe a push to call them premium. I added a 350rms mono amp and 12" sub and it made a huge difference. I went from 50% happy with sound to 85%. Mostly not happy with highs lacking definition mid bass could be a little better. I fear if I replace front speakers that I wont be happy until I replace HU back. The rears are ok with the sub I have they do not need to make low bass I also have OEM sub still running.

Question, anyone recommend front speakers and tweeters that make an improvement with OEM HU/amp in case I get a wild hair and decide to rip out the oem ones?

·
Registered
3 Posts
When you put better speakers and loose the bass, you have a polarity issue, As Chiph said review the polarity of the front and rear speakers since it changes a lot. Possitive with possitive and negative with negative. If reversed one speaker eats the other´s bass sound.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts