9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My high school graduation ('86) present to myself was a red 1986 CRX si (wish I still had it). Graduated college and treated myself to a 1990 Cappuccino Brown Accord Coupe. When I met my wife she was driving a 1992 Sea Foam Green Accord Sedan. Sorry to say that it has been that 20 years since owning a Honda. My wife and I recently did the math on what we were driving - an '04 Chevy Tahoe and '94 full-size Blazer. Looking at the payment on the Tahoe and the atrocious mpg of both vehicles we found we could each buy a 2012 Civic and save several hundred a month over the gas hogs! Her's is a Dyno Blue Pearl LX Sedan. His (mine) is a Polished Metal Metallic LX Coupe. We are both in love with Honda again. Shame on me for being away so long...

Reactions: AlienPrime

·
Banned
8,333 Posts
Been Honda since the day i started driving... almost made the transition to Nissan (Specifically a Nismo 370z) but the fact that i wanted to get rid of the Accord didn't turn out well considering i'd need to keep it as a winter car :p

·
Registered
288 Posts
I just bought my first ever Honda today! I've always had a huge appreciation for their engineering and quality though. I was always a gear head though so my cars were Mustang GTs, Z28's, trucks, etc. but I always liked Hondas too. I worked in an auto detailing shop in my high school and early college days which were the early 1990s. I drove a TON of Accords back then. What great cars those were.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Like you I left Honda for BMW. After outrageous maintenance and crazy gas mileage (V8), like you I'm glad to be back in the Honda family. Congratulations!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Pickle Hammer Power
4,294,967,287 Posts
welcome back..and welcome to the site

·
Registered
288 Posts
Like you I left Honda for BMW. After outrageous maintenance and crazy gas mileage (V8), like you I'm glad to be back in the Honda family. Congratulations!

Funny, I just traded in my 2003 525i for my Si! Loved the car, loved the handling, as mine had the Sport Package. It was very reliable too, but as I was getting closer to 100K miles I knew it was getting risky to depend on, as I need my daily driver to get me 110 miles round trip for work 3-4 days a weel, and the BMW wasn't exciting enough to keep as a "toy" car. I think the Si is going to do that double duty very well, even if I've never been much a fan of front wheel drive.

I'll miss her quite a bit.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Personal luxury car Executive car

·
Banned
8,333 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Funny, I just traded in my 2003 525i for my Si! Loved the car, loved the handling, as mine had the Sport Package. It was very reliable too, but as I was getting closer to 100K miles I knew it was getting risky to depend on, as I need my daily driver to get me 110 miles round trip for work 3-4 days a weel, and the BMW wasn't exciting enough to keep as a "toy" car. I think the Si is going to do that double duty very well, even if I've never been much a fan of front wheel drive.

I'll miss her quite a bit.
View attachment 7626
Great looking car, what color is that? Mine was a 02 540i Sport, Sterling grey. I had 52k on mine but I knew cooling system maintenance was just around the corner. I was worried that Si would be too small, I have 2 kids but when I compared the two the Honda actually had a little more leg room both up front & in back.

I miss the torque of a V8, 325 ft. Lbs but the Si is still almost as fast, just have to rev the sucker. I agree nothing beats the handling of a BMW plus have to love the 50/50 weight balance. Overall the Si is a better car for me.

·
Banned
8,333 Posts
Wow! All these beemer owners! Had a 2007 X3 for about 6 months.. my mom wrecked it :(

·
Registered
288 Posts
Great looking car, what color is that? Mine was a 02 540i Sport, Sterling grey. I had 52k on mine but I knew cooling system maintenance was just around the corner. I was worried that Si would be too small, I have 2 kids but when I compared the two the Honda actually had a little more leg room both up front & in back.

I miss the torque of a V8, 325 ft. Lbs but the Si is still almost as fast, just have to rev the sucker. I agree nothing beats the handling of a BMW plus have to love the 50/50 weight balance. Overall the Si is a better car for me.

It was called "Slate Green" Pretty rare actually. I've only seen one other E39 in my area in that color. I've seen a few E46 3-series in either that same color, or one that is very close to it.

She was still running fine and all I ever did was the front wheel bearings and rear door moisture barriers (twice each door...common issue). But like you, I knew the cooling system was on borrowed time, but my biggest fear was the ZF 5-spd auto. I read about a lot of failures of them right around the 100K mark and even a rebuild is very pricey on them. It just wasn't reliable enough for the long term, even if it was an irrational fear, but I have a long work commute and can't burden myself with that extra stress. So I made the decision to get out of it while it was still worth something.

I had been looking for an E39 for a while and really wanted either a 530i or 540i, with manual transmission. However someone told me about this one and when I looked at it I was blown away at the condition and it had low miles. I just had to buy it, after looking at a bunch of very neglected, beat up 530s and 540s. If I had in fact gotten a 530/540 then I would have been more inclined to keep it and put some money into it because it would have been a more enjoyable car than the 525i.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts