9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I have been driving my 2012 Civic Hybrid for 2 month now and so far I'm in love with it LOL. I have this low buzzing electrical sound when I break in low speeds, it happens all the time, I wonder if there are any other hybrid owners that experience the same issue? I'm planning to take it to the dealer, however, I'm wondering if this noise is normal because whenever I break I can see on the iMID screen that the battery is being charged, so I wonder if the noise I'm hearing is part of this battery charging process... anyone can confirm?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I have been driving my 2012 Civic Hybrid for 2 month now and so far I'm in love with it LOL. I have this low buzzing electrical sound when I break in low speeds, it happens all the time, I wonder if there are any other hybrid owners that experience the same issue? I'm planning to take it to the dealer, however, I'm wondering if this noise is normal because whenever I break I can see on the iMID screen that the battery is being charged, so I wonder if the noise I'm hearing is part of this battery charging process... anyone can confirm?
Yup, I hear it too, but only after my wife complained about it when I had the radio off (I have bad hearing LOL). This is what I found out about other hybrid cars:

"This is the brake pressure accumulator pump. If you repeatedly pump the brake pedal, you will force the pump to run. "Normal" cars do not have this pump, as they depend upon engine vacuum to create brake power assist. Since the Prius gasoline engine frequently is not running, engine vacuum cannot be counted upon to always be available. Hence Prius has an electric motor that intermittently runs this pump to build up hydraulic pressure so that when you depress the brake pedal, the car will stop."

Sounds like a good enough explanation to me, especially since you only hear the sound when you brake, and not just when the electric motor is charging the battery.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, I hear it too, but only after my wife complained about it when I had the radio off (I have bad hearing LOL). This is what I found out about other hybrid cars:

"This is the brake pressure accumulator pump. If you repeatedly pump the brake pedal, you will force the pump to run. "Normal" cars do not have this pump, as they depend upon engine vacuum to create brake power assist. Since the Prius gasoline engine frequently is not running, engine vacuum cannot be counted upon to always be available. Hence Prius has an electric motor that intermittently runs this pump to build up hydraulic pressure so that when you depress the brake pedal, the car will stop."

Sounds like a good enough explanation to me, especially since you only hear the sound when you brake, and not just when the electric motor is charging the battery.
Thank you for the explanation! I didn't even know where to start looking on the web for the answer:)

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also bought the new Civic Hibrid 2012 and my wife also complaint to me about the buzzing sound evertime she press the break to slow down. We brought the car to Honda for checking and Honda said it is normal. They even test drive it. I am checking with other Honda Sites later on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Civic Hibrid 2012 Buzzing Sound

Greetings to all. I also having this buzzing sound each time my wife press the break system when slowing down or to stop with our Hibrid Civic 2012. We bring the car to the Honda Seremban and the mechanic they said it is normal for those Honda Hibrid car. In fact he test it as well. He said it is something to do with a Regenerative System to recharge the battery. Sometimes the buzzing sound occured and sometimes it did not occured. It is a bit annoying especially when the sorrounding damn quiet. I am planning to bring it to KL or PJ Honda for further check.

·
Registered
373 Posts
It's normal, there is nothing to be done for it.

Copied from Hondas site:
A common brake servo system of a gasoline vehicle uses engine vacuum; however, this vehicle uses an Advanced Hydraulic Booster System. The Advanced Hydraulic Booster System monitors deceleration caused by IMA regeneration, and provides the driver with pedal feedback that reflects both braking and regeneration force.

When the brake pedal is depressed, the fluid pressure from the power unit flows into the servo unit. The fluid pressure is regulated at optimum pressure based on the brake operation amount detected by the hydraulic pressure sensor in the servo unit. The braking force is generated by sending the fluid pressure to each wheel through the master cylinder and VSA modulator control unit.

The regenerative control cooperation achieves smooth braking by making use of the regenerative brake and the braking force generated by the master cylinder pressure to generate the total braking force.

Basically, since this car can have not only the normal brakes trying to slow the car down, it can have the regenerative braking also trying to slow the car down, the AHB system tries to adjust your deceleration rate and brake pedal required pressure to feel more like a normal car. The sound you hear is power unit and servo unit doing this task.

Turn up the radio?
HTH

1 - 7 of 7 Posts