9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I'm also monitoring fuel economy with a Scanguage II (ScanGauge - Trip Computer + Digital Gauges + ScanTools), I thought some people might be interested in knowing how much fuel is left in the tank when the low fuel warning light comes on. I've gone thought three tanks so far, and it's been pretty consistent.

Low Fuel Warning Light Comes on - 10L remaining
Range goes to zero - 8L remaining
Zero bars left on the gas gauge ~ 7L remaining

The manual states there are 7.5L left in the tank when the light comes on, so my guess is Honda is being a little conservative. Ha!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Since I'm also monitoring fuel economy with a Scanguage II (ScanGauge - Trip Computer + Digital Gauges + ScanTools), I thought some people might be interested in knowing how much fuel is left in the tank when the low fuel warning light comes on. I've gone thought three tanks so far, and it's been pretty consistent.

The manual states there are 7.5L left in the tank when the light comes on, so my guess is Honda is being a little conservative. Ha!
Haha... good to know, thanks for sharing! Now, I will have to use my iPhone app. to convert the units :p lol

·
Registered
44 Posts

Did similar tests on an Accord a few years ago... gauge data was very repeatable. The low fuel light would vary with temperature from 2.0 gal to 2.5 gal remaining. There were also variances based on how the car was being driven when the light came on. The light would come on with less gas remaining on the highway and more in city traffic.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Very good to know!
Thanks for all this info :thumb:

Reactions: Digger

·
Registered
56 Posts
Good to know, there are times when the last bar of my gas indicator dissapears and I'd be pissing my pants. But good to know how much is left

·
Registered
36 Posts
my EX's fuel light came on today actually. I was down to the last bar and the range was 11 miles. It took about 11.5 gallons of gas to fill. If I'm not mistaken the tank size is 13.2 gallons so there was still 1.7 gallons left!

·
Registered
565 Posts
I got down to the 3mi range yesterday before fill-up and it took only 10.5 gallons :) Still had 2.7 gallons!

·
Registered
2,502 Posts

this is good to know, thanks for the info!
i prefer not to let me fuel get that low though, in past experience its not good for the pump and there's times where i have places to go and no time to stop and fill up......i always fill up when i get to about a quarter tank just to be safe. but thats just me

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Yeah the low gas level can tear up your fuel pump, and its worse on gas mileage

·
Registered
126 Posts
You will never be able to use all the gas in the tank. A certain quantity of fuel is required to cool the fuel pump. I would be curious how low you can go before losing pressure. I don't understand why they allow manufacturers to spec the total gallons and not the usable gallons.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Anyone ever see that episode of Seinfeld where they keep driving the car and pushing it further and further? That was funny.
This one (its just the parts of it not the whole thing):
YouTube - ‪Kramer test drives car on Seinfeld‬‏

On another note anyone ever notice any better mpg with the brand of gas they use? I try to use Shell 99% of the time. Sometimes I have to use RaceTrac and that seems to burn off a little faster.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
yes I've noticed the non-ethanol lasts a lot longer in my tank, and its better for the engine apparently

·
Registered
896 Posts
i used shell myself, until i had one of my cars tuned and my tuner advised i use Chevron or 76, he said that from his experience Shell tends to detonate sooner than other fuels......
Interesting. I always found Chevron to burn real fast.....at least in my last 2 cars. I wonder if its the detergents they add.

I'll have to see who doesnt use as much or any enthanol near me. Almost everyone has it. I know at one point it was required all gas have it, but this website says otherwise and lists which stations by state dont use any.

http://www.examiner.com/sports-car-in-tampa-bay/list-of-ethanol-free-gas-stations

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Yeah the low gas level can tear up your fuel pump, and its worse on gas mileage
I regularly filled my '98 corolla when it had 6-8L of fuel remaining, and I never had any problems with the fuel pump. I've heard the myth that you shouldn't let the fuel level go below 1/4 tank for cooling and lubrication purposes, but I've never seen any hard evidence to support it. I do know that the fuel pump is cooled and lubricated just by having gas flowing through it, so the effects of gas sloshing around on the outside for cooling are probably minimal.

I agree that more moisture can get into the tank, but like I said I never had a problem over the 13 years I owned my corolla. I'll be the guinea pig and let you know how the '12 civic holds up! :)

I've never heard the "worse on gas mileage" bit...another myth perhaps? Where's Mythbusters when you need them! lol

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I regularly filled my '98 corolla when it had 6-8L of fuel remaining, and I never had any problems with the fuel pump. I've heard the myth that you shouldn't let the fuel level go below 1/4 tank for cooling and lubrication purposes, but I've never seen any hard evidence to support it. I do know that the fuel pump is cooled and lubricated just by having gas flowing through it, so the effects of gas sloshing around on the outside for cooling are probably minimal.

I agree that more moisture can get into the tank, but like I said I never had a problem over the 13 years I owned my corolla. I'll be the guinea pig and let you know how the '12 civic holds up! :)

I've never heard the "worse on gas mileage" bit...another myth perhaps? Where's Mythbusters when you need them! lol
it just depends on the car, i dont know that honda has any issues in this area....but i know some companies have issues with this. this is a big issue on Silverado's that i have owned so i just got use to filling up at 1/4 tank. i dont know anything about worse gas milage though.....if anything you think it would improve due to the weight reduction from lack of fuel! lol in theory

·
Registered
126 Posts
Manufacturers have fixed this. You will have 2-3 gallons in the tank when you "run out of gas". I underestimated my 04 Accord and "ran out of gas" in less than 2 gallons after the light came on.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Manufacturers have fixed this. You will have 2-3 gallons in the tank when you "run out of gas". I underestimated my 04 Accord and "ran out of gas" in less than 2 gallons after the light came on.
i guess it would depend on the size of the car.....a civic with 2-3 reserve means the light comes on around 10 gal of used fuel. 2-3 gal is quiet a bit, and from the other thread it seems like 1.5-2 gal might be more accurate for the civic.

1 - 20 of 173 Posts