9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a 2012 Civic LX for 3 years and experienced this problem for the first time the other day. I was driving on the highway when my fuel indicator went down to two bars and the "Low Fuel" message popped up in iMID, the audible "ding" noise also played. This is totally normally. I hit the "information" button to dismiss the message and the iMID went back to my radio.

Then 5 seconds later, it happened again! I figured maybe the system misjudged the fuel amount and it was fluctuating, just a fluke. But then it happened again, and again, and sometimes it was back to back. I no longer bothered dismissing the iMID message because it would pop up again in just a few seconds.

The dings continued occurring at least once every 5 seconds and for several minutes until I finally pulled over to fuel up because it was driving me absolutely crazy.

I've googled all over for this issue and can't find anything. I find results about "loose fuel cap" and "how far can you go with the low warning light" instead.

I found one post on this site where it sounds like someone else had the same issue, but no one responded to the post. I can't link it since it's my first post.

I have yet to use up my fuel and get the next warning light but I'm not looking forward to it. I may try a power cycle (disconnect battery) to see if it resets the software so this doesn't happen again but I don't have my hopes up.

Has anyone else experienced or heard of this issue? Any advice on what to try if it happens again? This seems like something a mechanic won't be able to fix.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,449 Posts
My only advice to you on preventing this from ever happening again is fill up sooner rather than relying on the low fuel indicator before you fill up. It is never a good idea to be driving too low as you never know when you can get caught up in a traffic jam or with winter around the corner get caught up in a storm than your really screwed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bro I had this same exact problem on my 2012 as well it was annoying literally every 5 seconds and it wont stop. I still to this day dont know how to fix it

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
BMW's used to have a similar problem. It was the fuel level sensor getting crud on it. A bottle of Tehron would solve the problem. I have no idea if this would help. FWIW.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestion Roadcourse. I hadn't thought of that but it seems like it has a chance of working. It's certainly cheap enough to try if it continues to happen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there,

Like you, I've scoured the web for this same issue.
This is happening not only to my low fuel light, but to my tire pressure light as well.
If I've just hit low fuel or my tire is even a little bit low, my dash starts ringing constantly. Anywhere from 10 to 20 times per minute. Did you ever get this resolved or did you just have to be super diligent about keeping your fuel up (and air if you have my issues as well)?

Thanks! I appreciate any help anyone can offer.

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
Wasn't it great when cars just had gauges and not all that stuff that implies that someone thinks we can't think. Well, I guess some people can't think....but they are allowed to drive.....

·
Baned
8,538 Posts
Has anyone having an issue ever taken their car back to Honda to have them look at it? It kind of sounds like a programming issue which might be resolved with a look at the ECU.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I appreciate the response. It’s definitely an electrical issue. The warning repeats for low fuel and low tire pressure. It’s extremely intermittent and crazy annoying. I’m going to start tearing into this now because as an ASE Certified Master Technician I should know what the fix is. Problem is I font work on cars anymore. Lol. Well, I’ll be posting up as soon as I figure it out.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I appreciate the response. It’s definitely an electrical issue. The warning repeats for low fuel and low tire pressure. It’s extremely intermittent and crazy annoying. I’m going to start tearing into this now because as an ASE Certified Master Technician I should know what the fix is. Problem is I font work on cars anymore. Lol. Well, I’ll be posting up as soon as I figure it out.
Good on you...you could try youtube first but be careful with youtube repair guides. I see enough shade tree remedies to be skeptical.
If you want the real deal, see the link in my sig.
$10 for a one day subscription.
And unfortunately they do not allow downloading of the data in any useful form.

·
Registered
2012 Honda Civic FB
3 Posts
Has anyone found a fix for this? It drives me up the wall.
Happened to me once. Mechanic told me to disconnect the NEGATIVE connection of the battery. Give it 10-15mins for the system to reboot and good to go. Plus it’ll update the “real” gas reading on the range and fuel bars.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts