9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so I'm having an issue that I'm hoping someone can shed some light on.

I have a 2013 Honda Civic Coupe 5-speed automatic transmission, 83k miles

I bought this car a couple weeks ago and I love it but it has been doing some odd things.

Basically, the Acceleration has been acting odd. I have noticed some inconsistent jerkiness both when initializing the gas petal, as well as releasing it. Not every time, but it seems to hiccup and pop forward maybe 10% of the time. Much worse on downhill or uphill.

The reason I bought it was because I needed to drive cross country. Went to mechanics beforehand and they said all was well, so I went ahead with the trip without an explanation for this quirk.

1500 miles in, we reach Denver without much of any issue. Hiccups are still pretty common but don't seem to be worsening. We stop there to grab some food, and when we leave and get back on the highway I'm noticing that it is doing it much more. Additionally, I seem to have lost a lot of power in the engine.

As I travel route 70, we hit some steep downgrades (6-7%) and I'm getting concerned because the car is not letting me accelerate without effectively flooring the petal. The engine downshifts to 3rd gear on a downhill to accelerate. It feels like my gas petal doesn't do anything. At this point, I'm not even trying to go fast, more just keep up with the traffic around me. I end up with something ridiculous like 28 highway mpg (reset it to see JUST roughly 10 miles of downhill) because the car wouldn't let me speed up.

From the research I've been able to find, two possible explanations are: one, the high altitude effects the engines power, but I feel like I lost legitimately almost all of my engine power and it seems like far too much to just be the altitude.

The other explanation is that the automatic transmission is doing engine braking without me telling it to, but the degree by which it seems to be doing it feels absurd, in that I'm going 20mph slower than everyone around me and if I want to speed up at all, I have to floor it and downshift while going downhill!

There were times I was going 20mph on the steep decline, going halfway down on the gas (I'm not flooring it in that situation, I'm not a maniac) and the car barely accelerates.

Can someone explain to me how this could be a normal function? Or, if there is an issue what could it be?

I would really appreciate any input that could explain why this car acts this way.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Change your transmission fluid and see if that makes a difference.
Did a transmission flush before heading out. Helped a fair bit with smoothness for shifting, but didn't do anything for the issues I mentioned

1 - 3 of 3 Posts