9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of us who put after market parts on our 9th gen Si's, and R18's, this is some updated information that I have read, and studied all night. So when dealerships deny you services for having removed stock parts, and replacing them with aftermarket parts you can show them that what they are refusing to cover under warranty is illegal! This is some straight forward information that the "Mugnuson-Moss Act" protects you, and your aftermarket parts against dealerships who refuse services that are covered under warranty! Keep in mind in this act it states that when you take your vehicle to the dealership for any issues, weather it's with aftermarket, or stock parts, they might try to verbally say its due to aftermarket parts and go no further in trying to diagnose whats truly causing the problem. 95% of dealerships will refuse a claim after being told, and / or shown aftermarket parts were installed on the vehicle without even inspecting the car, this is something that unfortunately most dealerships do. What we as car enthusiasts need to know about this, is that this is illegal!

There are 2 emission warranties under the Clean Air Act,
a) Defects and Performance: Defect Warranty requires manufacturers to produce vehicles that are free of faults that could cause the vehicle to not meet standards for emission levels for its useful life defined in the law.
b) Performance Warranty suggests that vehicles maintain certain levels of emissions performance during its lifetime.

If the vehicle fails to meet the performance warranty requirements, the manufacturer is required to make needed repairs at no cost to the customer even if an aftermarket part is installed, and responsible for a warranty claim. The vehicles manufacturer must not, and cannot void the performance warranty under any circumstance! This is protected by a parts-self certification program developed by the EPA, and SEMA.

In instances where such as a failed aftermarket part is responsible for a warranty claim, the vehicles manufacturer is to arrange a settlement with the customer, and by law the new-vehicle warranty is not void.

To sum this all up , laws governing these warranties are clear! A new vehicle warranty can only be voided if stock parts have been removed, and replaced with aftermarket parts; It must be proven that an aftermarket part(s) are responsible for an emission warranty claim. However, a vehicle dealership, or manufacturer cannot void the warranty simply due to the fact that an aftermarket part(s) have been installed.

If a dealership denies a warranty claim, and you feel the claim falls under the information provided above concerning the clean air act (such as an emission part failure), require and obtain written explanation from the dealer concerning their refusal to provide warranty services. Then follow steps outlined in your owners manual. If those steps do not work, call the EPA with your complaint at 202-233-9040 or 202-326-9100. If a dealer denies a warranty claim involving an implied, or express new car warranty you can contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). The FTC works to prevent fraudulent, deceptive, and unfair business practices, and provides information to help consumers. To file a complaint you can call toll free 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357).

This information came from the "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" Effective July 4th 1975 Signed by President Ford. Magnuson-Moss Warranty act, Title 1,.. 101-112, 15 U.S.C..2301 et seq.
Sources above found
Superchips Inc. Newsletter / Car Craft September 1994 issue.
Federal Trade Commission Website.
State Bar of Texas Website (TexasBarCLE - Texas Continuing Legal Education)
Also Magnuson-Moss Act

·
Pickle Hammer Power
4,294,967,287 Posts
nice find

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tought I'd sum it up for us, studied it all night was bothering me. I know what they will pay for, and won't. Feel free to ask me fellas!

Sent from my HTC One X using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Sounds like it is just referring to an emissions claim only and not other issues.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like it is just referring to an emissions claim only and not other issues.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
No its not just referring to an emissions claim. What I summed up was saying is that a dealership cannot void any warranty, or refuse to work on any car just because stock parts were removed, and replaced with aftermarket parts. The only way they can void a warranty is if a car violates the Clean Air Act.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice post. I work in the warranty department at Toronto Honda and we service and do warranty repairs on cars with performance mods. The only case ive seen that was a problem was when an aftermarket CAI was installed on a Civic and it came in for a check engine light. The job was not covered because the engine light was related to the intake being installed (air/fuel sensor). other warranty related problems ive seen is with aftermarket remote starters and immobilizer warranty issues.

If the dealer can determin that the performance mods on the car has caused a factory part to become defective then it will not be covered. The dealer may be able to do the repair but Honda inc may not reimburse the dealer for the repair if they come to the conclusion that it was cause by performance mods.

If your installing a new suspension to lower the car, the dealer can not deny you warranty or void it if the problem is not related to the mod. But if you are going in because you have a VSA / ABS issue they may be more strict when checking the car.

in the end, its up to the dealer to decide if they want to help you the customer or give you the cold shoulder.

·
Depends....cause sometimes i leak!!
256 Posts
For those of us who put after market parts on our 9th gen Si's, and R18's, this is some updated information that I have read, and studied all night. So when dealerships deny you services for having removed stock parts, and replacing them with aftermarket parts you can show them that what they are refusing to cover under warranty is illegal! This is some straight forward information that the "Mugnuson-Moss Act" protects you, and your aftermarket parts against dealerships who refuse services that are covered under warranty! Keep in mind in this act it states that when you take your vehicle to the dealership for any issues, weather it's with aftermarket, or stock parts, they might try to verbally say its due to aftermarket parts and go no further in trying to diagnose whats truly causing the problem. 95% of dealerships will refuse a claim after being told, and / or shown aftermarket parts were installed on the vehicle without even inspecting the car, this is something that unfortunately most dealerships do. What we as car enthusiasts need to know about this, is that this is illegal!

a) Defects and Performance: Defect Warranty requires manufacturers to produce vehicles that are free of faults that could cause the vehicle to not meet standards for emission levels for its useful life defined in the law.
b) Performance Warranty suggests that vehicles maintain certain levels of emissions performance during its lifetime.

If the vehicle fails to meet the performance warranty requirements, the manufacturer is required to make needed repairs at no cost to the customer even if an aftermarket part is installed, and responsible for a warranty claim. The vehicles manufacturer must not, and cannot void the performance warranty under any circumstance! This is protected by a parts-self certification program developed by the EPA, and SEMA.

In instances where such as a failed aftermarket part is responsible for a warranty claim, the vehicles manufacturer is to arrange a settlement with the customer, and by law the new-vehicle warranty is not void.

To sum this all up , laws governing these warranties are clear! A new vehicle warranty can only be voided if stock parts have been removed, and replaced with aftermarket parts; It must be proven that an aftermarket part(s) are responsible for an emission warranty claim. However, a vehicle dealership, or manufacturer cannot void the warranty simply due to the fact that an aftermarket part(s) have been installed.

If a dealership denies a warranty claim, and you feel the claim falls under the information provided above concerning the clean air act (such as an emission part failure), require and obtain written explanation from the dealer concerning their refusal to provide warranty services. Then follow steps outlined in your owners manual. If those steps do not work, call the EPA with your complaint at 202-233-9040 or 202-326-9100. If a dealer denies a warranty claim involving an implied, or express new car warranty you can contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). The FTC works to prevent fraudulent, deceptive, and unfair business practices, and provides information to help consumers. To file a complaint you can call toll free 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357).

This information came from the "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" Effective July 4th 1975 Signed by President Ford. Magnuson-Moss Warranty act, Title 1,.. 101-112, 15 U.S.C..2301 et seq.
Sources above found
Also Magnuson-Moss Act
That's good reading. Thank you for the info?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Under M-M the warranty, meaning the 36/36 warranty or any of the other factory warranties, can not be voided on a blanket basis due to mods nor can it be voided for doing your own service like oil changes etc.. The warranty for the electrical system can be voided if the stereo, amp, lights, etc. you wired in draw 45 amps through a 20 amp fuse and short everything out. IOW, the warranty on a specific item can be voided if there is irrefutable proof something was done to that particular system aftermarket and caused the problem.

But THE warranty (as in the entire warranty) can not be voided. Well, I guess unless you do crazy mods to every system and part of the car that damages every system in the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
wish I had something like this to look at 6 months ago. I went through HELL with a Infiniti dealer about a SC they installed and provided paperwork stating bought from them and installed by them the warranty would not be void( Yes powertrain included) and the motor blew up( Faulty installing of fuel pump).. I lost the case, Lost 6k on the SC having to sell it 1 years of car payments for a car I did not have , Plus laywer fees WHO SUCKED

·
Registered
929 Posts
wish I had something like this to look at 6 months ago. I went through HELL with a Infiniti dealer about a SC they installed and provided paperwork stating bought from them and installed by them the warranty would not be void( Yes powertrain included) and the motor blew up( Faulty installing of fuel pump).. I lost the case, Lost 6k on the SC having to sell it 1 years of car payments for a car I did not have , Plus laywer fees WHO SUCKED
Wow! Just wow, that is crazy, I'm sorry that happened. I wouldnt even begin to know how you dealt with all that...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanx guys, On top of that in the middle my job of 6yrs said" UM liad off" ( Was an accountant). Just made things THAT much better. :/

·
Registered
161 Posts
Damn thank you for this post my parents have been up my ass because I wanna install coils and they think it will void my warranty. I live in Toronto so hopefully this act works down here too

·
Registered
89 Posts

Sources above found
Also Magnuson-Moss Act
Thanks! Knowledge is power. People get screwed daily because they don't know any better. Awesome job sharing this info!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
FYI: any departure from OEM ie. installing a mod, is possible grounds for denial purposes if related to warranty claim.The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act does NOT apply to Canada.

Warranty claims are truly at the discretion of the dealer.
I have heard multiple stories from different brands about this, so it's taking a chance. It is obvious this issue has been beaten to death on this Forum and others.

Damn thank you for this post my parents have been up my ass because I wanna install coils and they think it will void my warranty. I live in Toronto so hopefully this act works down here too

1 - 20 of 23 Posts