9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ll try my best to describe here, I didn’t see any similar posts so here goes.

I’ve owned my car since new, ‘14 civic ex sedan manual transmission. I can’t remember how this happened but it didn’t always do this.

In the lower gears (really notice it in 2nd and 3rd), the car will have uniform acceleration up until about 2500 Rpm where the car will noticeably lurch forward. This also will only happen when I have the gas pedal to the floor (anyone with the non Si model knows that this car accelerates pretty slowly, so I like to drive as fast as possible and this makes driving it kind of unenjoyable)

It still has pretty low km (84,000), so I don’t think the clutch is slipping yet. I just had the transmission fluid changed today and it still does this lurch.

Any other manual transmission civic owners experience a similar problem? Any solutions or thoughts on the issue here? I appreciate any input.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
188 Posts
My car has always done this. Even more noticeable when I went with a lightweight flywheel/3 puck clutch. I think it's the R18 kicking into high cam which can cause a sudden jolt in power. I've noticed it does get worse as the tranny fluid ages. I now change my trans fluid every other oil change. So once a year is good measure. I'd only use Honda MTF or Torco MTF. I think I blew my trans when I used Motul 75w90 because I heard other pay say it would help smooth out the trans. It really did smooth out my ring gear, diff, and final drive gears...Stripped them right off!

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,799 Posts
The car will accelerate harder after ~2500 rpm, and the higher you rev it, up to about 5000 rpm, but I wouldn't call it a lurch. Maybe it feels that way to you because it is bog slow below ~2500k.

Maybe a cockpit video of a couple of runs with the cam pointing at the dash would help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ll try my best to describe here, I didn’t see any similar posts so here goes.

I’ve owned my car since new, ‘14 civic ex sedan manual transmission. I can’t remember how this happened but it didn’t always do this.

In the lower gears (really notice it in 2nd and 3rd), the car will have uniform acceleration up until about 2500 Rpm where the car will noticeably lurch forward. This also will only happen when I have the gas pedal to the floor (anyone with the non Si model knows that this car accelerates pretty slowly, so I like to drive as fast as possible and this makes driving it kind of unenjoyable)

It still has pretty low km (84,000), so I don’t think the clutch is slipping yet. I just had the transmission fluid changed today and it still does this lurch.

Any other manual transmission civic owners experience a similar problem? Any solutions or thoughts on the issue here? I appreciate any input.

Thanks guys!
Mine sounds similar except it's more of a bucking. I "wear" a '15 LX m/t. I'm a plus size guy. The harder the acceleration, the more severe. 100k and no upgrades, but fun as hell to drive. Going easy on it and it's normal. Thanks for this site.

·
Registered
188 Posts
What a shitty design. Feels like something is broken. Ugh
Would you rather have a CVT or Slush box auto sucking up all your power? Manual is pretty raw and brutal so you will feel everything the engine is going through. Really helps when diagnosing the health of the motor. I wouldn't worry about it at all, just a small downside of having to shift your own gears. Also, you stated this problem in 3rd gear I wouldn't lug the engine in 3rd gear @2500rpm if I were you.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,799 Posts

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,799 Posts
Never driven an R18, but I don't think a lurching acceleration feeling should be normal. The R18 disengaging its economy vtec to the normal profile should not be felt.
This is true. That's why I had asked for a video taken during this occurrence. Sometimes it's hard to offer a diagnosis from only an explanation.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Never driven an R18, but I don't think a lurching acceleration feeling should be normal. The R18 disengaging its economy vtec to the normal profile should not be felt.
I have a 5spd manual coupe, and it's very normal. VTEC engagement is right where he has the shudder. I'll admit the R18 is not a highly refined engine, but it gets the job done around town.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine sounds similar except it's more of a bucking. I "wear" a '15 LX m/t. I'm a plus size guy. The harder the acceleration, the more severe. 100k and no upgrades, but fun as hell to drive. Going easy on it and it's normal. Thanks for this site.
yeah if I go easy on it, it seems to not be noticeable. Maybe it is normal it just feels like something is broken or not functioning right. I don’t remember it functioning like this as new but maybe I didn’t drive it as hard then

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’m not sure what program you’re using there, are you able to adjust where the vtech engages? I haven’t had a chance to upload a video yet myself but good to have somewhat of an explanation I guess.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,799 Posts
I don’t think the clutch is slipping yet
Btw, a slipping clutch would not cause a forward lurch. In fact, just the opposite - a rise in engine rpm with no increase in forward movement.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts