9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the dealer today, finally got my car preforming much more normally (dealer installed X0A030 update to PGM-FI program). Interesting news:

1.) Service manager mentioned that there was a new (general) software update that was released by Honda today (11/13/2012). I didn't get the number, but this update apparently supersedes the 07/25/2012 version & it's modifications (2.17.06)

2.) X0A030 is still the current PGM-FI program with the new version; however, apparently there was some error where owners weren't getting the update (X0A030) displayed as being available for their car because it was tagged as a "natural gas vehicle" update. This has been corrected. There is a possibility that vehicles previously indicating no need for the X0A030 update will now show it as available.

3.) Service manager mentioned that there was a memo (or service bulletin [NOT A TSB]) that was distributed 'in house' which, I wish I wrote the entire number down...it was like "A-0******0*12" or something; alerts dealers to the problems being reported regarding Si's & initial suggestions on repair. Service manager said that, from the tone of the memo, he expects a TSB to be issued sometime in the near future...likely in the new year.

4.) Service manager indicated that given the memo & the software version update which has left X0A030 as the current PGM-FI program update, though there were changes to other models and their programs, it likely means that there will be another PGM-FI program update which is directed at this specific issue...which would make sense to be released with a TSB.

--He was very thankful for someone bringing this to their attention. I know the initial pgm-fi program has been talked about frequently; however, he said that he wished Honda released that in a TSB, because that would have allowed them to 'fix' the car correctly the first time.

What else did I get from the conversation? Well the implication was this: Call corporate, they tell the service dept. the two goals are customer satisfaction & fixing it right the first time; but if the information isn't available, there's no way for them to know there is a fix (particularly problematic in areas that don't sell/see lots of Si's).

·
Registered
276 Posts
^^. Thanks for sharing. It should be interesting over the next few weeks to see how people make out at the dealer and the results. Here's hoping that it fixes some of the issues raised here.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

·
Registered
566 Posts
Mine's going in tomorrow for a few issues and I plan to bring this new info to their attention. Will let you guts know if I get anywhere with getting the latest updates. My issues are purely mechanical, I believe, so they may not check for new software, even if I specifically request it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tnmz6i,

I had the mechanical problems, then got the axle & cv fixed...then the new round of problems...just make sure you mention that you were having issues with X, Y, & Z, and want to rule out ecu issues since there have been others with problems & honda has released new different diagnostic software for them & pgm-fi for you. it's under warranty, they shouldn't have any problem doing it. espically if they're going to potentially replace parts, they'd likley run a diagnostic...all they have to do is disconnect the do the mcvi (potential) update for you prior to the diagnostic to make sure you're doing ok.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All I know is that whatever software was version 2.17.06 and received updates in May & july has received another major update. It appears that, even if you are under warranty, they generally only update a system if you are having a matching problem or particularly request it (again, could be wrong here). As for now the PGM-FI program remains the same as it was in the last release, however, Service Manager mentioned this was interesting since it was the only unchanged & there was a memo about related issues. That is why he speculates a TSB & related PGM-FI program update will be forthcoming.

I don't know much about this part of the vehicle except the HDS is the laptop that hooks up to the car to run tests & diagnostics, the MVCI is the unit they usually use to install updates, though it apparently also runs a car system diagnostic. If there is a software update that comes out for the PGM-FI program, it will apparently not necessarily show up if they use the Honda Diagnostic System (no update showed for my vehicle when they installed the previous PGM-FI program) they had to plug the MVCI in and it ran it's tests and, at the end indicated that it had updated the program.

I'm not sure what series Si's might have updates as the current software stands now, but let me find the paperwork...had them print out what they did and that might shed some light on all of this.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Forgot to mention the updates to the service writer until he had already printed up the work order, but he did write it in, so we'll see if they actually find anything, assuming they even check. He looked up recalls and TSBs and found none that apply to my car, so maybe there are some updates.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Skrub,

No. Those are referencing the specific update to the PGM-FI Program (X0A030) that was contained in version 2.17.06. I think that tnmz6i's civic could probably benefit from that update, but that's not eactly what I was talking about.

The 'update' that has come out is not a new PGM-FI program, however, X0A030 will still be installed if your car needs it. What is new is (and I'm not sure what the term is for this) the numbered software version (previously 2.17.06) which I believe is how the MCVI 'knows' which programs to install for your vehicle. The hope is that since this new numbered software version (according to this service manager) came out with some Si specific memo but conspicuously left the PGM-FI program unchanged may mean that they are working on a "performance update" fix rather than a partial patch. This would be nice, since the that the original "Rev Hang Cure" (the installation of X0A030--which is what is referenced in the threads you linked) seems to not completely fix the issue for all owners (some reporting it completely fixed the issue, some reporting it did nothing, and some reporting it helped but it's not complete).

My service manager mentioned to expect something probably early in the new year. Who knows, it's speculation now. I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

·
Registered
566 Posts
I just got my car back. They said no updates were available. I didn't press the issue since I'm taking it back next week to have the tensioner replaced under warranty. I'll bring it up again at that time.

·
Registered
228 Posts
That update your talking about is for the car stalling when the gas pedal is pressed during a cold start, the car will stall. The only other update for 2012 Civics is for a battery software update that came out Nov. 13th 2012. Those are the only updates available for the 2012 Civic's. There is no update for anything related to Rev Hang at all. I do work at a dealership.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I had that exact Program Update loaded into my ECU via the Dealer in June - and - it DID LESSEN the Rev Hang, no matter what it was for. However - it only lessened the Rev Hang when the A/C was ON and the Fan Blower Speed was MAX. Now that it's cooled off down here and I run with the A/C OFF the Rev Hang is right back where I started. Personally I'm going the Flashpro route - while it is supposed to be "out", there is NO mention of it on the Hondata website. So - in the end - I'm figuring it's going to cost me about $1000 to get my car running the way Honda should have sold it to me in the first place (Flashpro $695 plus "retune" via the Flashpro Programming Mapping that I'll have to have a Local Tuner do)

Reactions: Digger

·
that cranky admin
6,077 Posts
I had that exact Program Update loaded into my ECU via the Dealer in June - and - it DID LESSEN the Rev Hang, no matter what it was for. However - it only lessened the Rev Hang when the A/C was ON and the Fan Blower Speed was MAX. Now that it's cooled off down here and I run with the A/C OFF the Rev Hang is right back where I started. Personally I'm going the Flashpro route - while it is supposed to be "out", there is NO mention of it on the Hondata website. So - in the end - I'm figuring it's going to cost me about $1000 to get my car running the way Honda should have sold it to me in the first place (Flashpro $695 plus "retune" via the Flashpro Programming Mapping that I'll have to have a Local Tuner do)
You can (could?) get flashpro for $620 shipped, plus $150 for a very good etune from vit (dyno isn't really worth it if you aren't modded up). Yes flashpro is out- mine is sitting on my desk at home right now. Corsport has been a bit slow to get them out to preorderers though. Hondata really needs to update their site, it is pretty unclear right now.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I still don't get it. Every time I shift, the revs drop just like they should. Regardless of if I'm shifting at 3k or 7K. I don't have any hesitation.

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
Can somebody dumb this down a bit and explain to those of us who don't speak all the lingo? I really have no idea what the OP is talking about.

:drooling:

Reactions: Digger

·
Registered
348 Posts
Just got my Si software update. Seems to run smoother and not as bad rev hang...who knows!!??

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 20 of 29 Posts