9th Gen Civic Forum banner

201 - 220 of 247 Posts

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
What are your IAT's normally? I noticed that mine seem to be kind of high with my turbo setup, almost wonder if its a bad sensor or maybe I just need a bigger intercooler.
it really depends on a number of things. But on tract my IATs never went above 117 after 12 laps. Those numbers I’m happy with.
In a traffic jam on a hot day they can go up as high as 140, but I don’t load the car up until they drop again.
Recovery is key a good system will start to recover as soon as the car starts to get some air through it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
What are your IAT's normally? I noticed that mine seem to be kind of high with my turbo setup, almost wonder if its a bad sensor or maybe I just need a bigger intercooler.
My OBD1 style sensor reads high, if that's what ya got. I confirmed by checking IAT readings on the engine cold, in the morning, was always much hotter than ambient. Putting a AEM IAT sensor in, just gotta get the hung welded in.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
I am using the AEM IAT sensor.

·
Registered
2013 Civic Si
36 Posts
I confirmed that my OBD1 style was bad because I noticed that after plugging my flashpro in after the car sat overnight, my IAT was reading 105 when the ambient temp was reading 65 in my garage. I got a new OBD1 sensor that I'm going to try out, hopefully it works. If not, I guess I will try the AEM.

·
Registered
2013 Civic Si
36 Posts
My OBD1 style sensor reads high, if that's what ya got. I confirmed by checking IAT readings on the engine cold, in the morning, was always much hotter than ambient. Putting a AEM IAT sensor in, just gotta get the hung welded in.
Are you on a s/c or turbo setup?

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
I would only trust the AEM style IAT. There's another company that makes another, but it might be the same.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #207

A short update on dyno day. For everyone following along.

·
Registered
2013 Civic Si
36 Posts
I would only trust the AEM style IAT. There's another company that makes another, but it might be the same.

I put the new obd1 style in today and it reads just as high as the old one. I'm going to try shaving the plastic down that surrounds the probe, hopefully it works better. Just sucks because we've been getting temps in the 40's but my iat sensor seems to think it's 105* out lol.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
I put the new obd1 style in today and it reads just as high as the old one. I'm going to try shaving the plastic down that surrounds the probe, hopefully it works better. Just sucks because we've been getting temps in the 40's but my iat sensor seems to think it's 105* out lol.
Why not just go with this one:

Honestly I would not rely on the ODB1 one for reliable information. Those sensors if they read accurately, they don't read changes fast enough.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was gonna shave mine, but decided to use the AEM. Not sure why all the turbo kits use the OBD1 style.
Be careful, it may effect your tune.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
I was gonna shave mine, but decided to use the AEM. Not sure why all the turbo kits use the OBD1 style.
Be careful, it may effect your tune.
it will most def effect your tune. There are IAT compensation tables to retard ignition at high temps. So either your car constantly will run in retard mode, or perhaps not retard when needed, which can be dangerous. For $50 you save yourself a lot of grief.

·
Registered
53 Posts
This is why i think your safe to shave the OBD1, your just making it react faster to change, not changing the offset reading. Old forums have alot of info on this.
If i wasn't going to retune, I'd shave mine. Since I'm retuning, I'm upgrading to AEM.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #213 (Edited)
Last night I did a little upgrading. I wanted this car to run a little cooler.

reasons why; safety, longevity, knock control, and more power!

I did record the install, I’ll be posting it later today on the channel.

mishimoto thermostat is in there although no picture taken.

Just look at those temp! 👀

This pic has nothing to do with the install but I thought it looked cool! Haha

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Can't wait to see the install vid. Whats all that white stuff on the ground?

Reactions: fahnix

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
Can't wait to see the install vid. Whats all that white stuff on the ground?
it's this white powdery stuff that falls from the sky, if your wheels are over it, you may have to put it in 3rd before taking off. LOL

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
Damn. Every time I get mad about the car mod laws in CA shots like that set me straight REAL QUICK! 😅

View attachment 493012

Every time winter comes I start looking at real estate. I don't like Winter here. Last year wasn't too bad, but it's starting off bad this year

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
Solid video dude
thanks man. Definitely happy with the result. I was afraid the car would take too long to warm up, or that my heat wouldn't work well, but so far I am good on both fronts.

I don't know if an NA/Stock engine would have the same results.

201 - 220 of 247 Posts