9th Gen Civic Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well crap, it seems the t-harness is not compatible with Si models. I had looked it up on iDatalink’s site to verify and my car wasn’t listed...so I called tech support and all he said was “if it’s not listed, it’s not compatible”. I suspect it’s because of the manual transmission.

I’m tempted to order the harness and see for myself, but I'm torn between this and just getting a quote from a shop for everything
I have read that manual trans can be difficult with remote starters, sorry to hear. Get a quote from BestBuy for remote starter perhaps since they have free installation? That's the hard part. Once that's done, get the drone mobile module and connect it to your Maestro RR and you should be good to go.

BTW, how is the "HD Radio" on the Pioneer 2660NEX? Is it actually "CD Quality" like they claim? Thinking about swapping out my 1400 for the 2660 for the bigger screen and HD Radio.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Success!
View attachment 492446

Removing the dash was much easier than I expected. For anyone wondering, the 2013 Si model pinout on the iMid harness is the same as for other models; position 3 (black, +) and 19 (white, -).

View attachment 492447

The resolution on the stock backup cam isn’t the greatest, which is more evident on a high resolution screen than on iMid...but I’m happy with it. Overall easy mod!
Hey Guy
I'm hooking up a Kenwood. When you guys hooked up the stock camera to mirror on the new head unit did you need to hook up the reverse cable on the unit. Or did you only have to connect to the video + & - .
Thank
Hector

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hey Guy
I'm hooking up a Kenwood. When you guys hooked up the stock camera to mirror on the new head unit did you need to hook up the reverse cable on the unit. Or did you only have to connect to the video + & - .
Thank
Hector
You will need to hook up the reverse cable in order to send a signal to tell your head unit that the car is in reverse and to engage the camera.
This is done by connecting your reverse cable on your wire harness to the reverse cable on the head unit harness. (generally a purple wire with a white stripe)

·
Registered
5 Posts
You will need to hook up the reverse cable in order to send a signal to tell your head unit that the car is in reverse and to engage the camera.
This is done by connecting your reverse cable on your wire harness to the reverse cable on the head unit harness. (generally a purple wire with a white stripe)
Thank you

·
Registered
13 Posts

Hi guys, I just installed a new head unit on my 2013 Honda Civic EX sedan with an aftermarket stereo from Amazon. When I took the old one out, there isn’t any backup camera cable in the head unit area. So I’m assuming that the backup camera cables are connected and located in the imid area. Then again I’m not sure. My question is, how do I mirror the imid backup camera display to the new head unit screen? Also if that’s not possible, how do I transfer or change the backup camera display from imid to the new head unit display? I just want a larger and clearer view when I reverse. I think I might have to take the dashboard apart but I don’t know how and I don’t want to break anything. Please help. Thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Sunheng
I had to take apart some of the dashboard to get to the connector of the imid. Then I tapped in to the camera + and - and the backup trigger their. I found a pin layout on Google. Unfortunately I deleted it.

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
View attachment 493281 View attachment 493282 View attachment 493283

Is that anyway you can show me pictures of what you did? I’m sorry, I’m a visual learner and I really understand electrical stuff.
Hello Sunheng, if you read this entire thread, there are pictures of how to do this.

1. You need to remove your dash which comes apart in 3 pieces to access the iMid harness. Google "ADExternal's 2012 Honda Civic Reverse Backup Camera DIY" for detailed photos for this.

2. Next, you need to splice two wires (position 3 (black, +) and 19 (white, -)) on the harness that goes into the iMid.

3. Finally, you need to connect a standard spliced RCA cable (see below) to the spliced iMid wires above directly into your head unit.
Before re-assembling your dashboard, make sure you test it out by reconnecting the harness to your iMid (doesn't work when disconnecting) and putting your car in reverse to see if you've wired it correctly

Let me know if you have any questions,
Jim

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello Sunheng, if you read this entire thread, there are pictures of how to do this.

1. You need to remove your dash which comes apart in 3 pieces to access the iMid harness. Google "ADExternal's 2012 Honda Civic Reverse Backup Camera DIY" for detailed photos for this.
View attachment 493286
2. Next, you need to splice two wires (position 3 (black, +) and 19 (white, -)) on the harness that goes into the iMid.
View attachment 493287
3. Finally, you need to connect a standard spliced RCA cable (see below) to the spliced iMid wires above directly into your head unit.
Before re-assembling your dashboard, make sure you test it out by reconnecting the harness to your iMid (doesn't work when disconnecting) and putting your car in reverse to see if you've wired it correctly
View attachment 493288

Let me know if you have any questions,
Jim
Hi Jim.
Thanks for the tips but I'm still a bit confused and I read the whole thread several times by the way. I went to Car-Risma inc., which is an automotive toy store located in Lowell, MA today and they told me that they would charge me about $200 just to figure it out and get one of their employees to try and mirror my iMid display to the head unit. That price that they quoted me on is ridiculous, so you guys are my only help, I've searched everywhere from Google to YouTube, and this is the only site that has the information that I need and also has the picture to prove it as well. So thank you.

Step 2, do I splice [Position 3(black, +) and Position 19 (white, -)] from iMid harness together or to certain wires in my head unit harness?
If so, would the wires be long enough to connect from iMid all the way the head unit area?

Another question, there is a wire labeled "BACK" on my head unit harness, I'm assuming that wire is for reversing, do I connect that to something else?

Step 3, In the picture below there is a female yellow RCA cable labeled "CAM VIN", it's for the backup camera video signal, where would I get the male one? Do I take the male yellow RCA from the iMid area and plug it into the head unit female yellow RCA or do I have the buy a separate male yellow RCA cable? Please clarify, sorry for being slow.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hi Jim.
Thanks for the tips but I'm still a bit confused and I read the whole thread several times by the way. I went to Car-Risma inc., which is an automotive toy store located in Lowell, MA today and they told me that they would charge me about $200 just to figure it out and get one of their employees to try and mirror my iMid display to the head unit. That price that they quoted me on is ridiculous, so you guys are my only help, I've searched everywhere from Google to YouTube, and this is the only site that has the information that I need and also has the picture to prove it as well. So thank you.

Step 2, do I splice [Position 3(black, +) and Position 19 (white, -)] from iMid harness together or to certain wires in my head unit harness?
If so, would the wires be long enough to connect from iMid all the way the head unit area?

Another question, there is a wire labeled "BACK" on my head unit harness, I'm assuming that wire is for reversing, do I connect that to something else?

Step 3, In the picture below there is a female yellow RCA cable labeled "CAM VIN", it's for the backup camera video signal, where would I get the male one? Do I take the male yellow RCA from the iMid area and plug it into the head unit female yellow RCA or do I have the buy a separate male yellow RCA cable? Please clarify, sorry for being slow.
Hey Sunheng,

No worries my man, that's what this forum is for and you are just about there! So let's review:

1. First, you need to get yourself a male-to-male RCA cable, any old cable from a VCR, DVD Player, Console, etc will do. Alternatively, you can buy a dedicated one on Amazon like this. Once you get that, you need to cut one side off completely and leave it long enough to run from your iMid harness to your head unit ( about 3ft should do). So one side of the cable is RCA Male and the other is cut bare wire

2. When you cut the RCA cable, there will be a wire inside a wire, the inner wire needs to be spliced into the iMid Harness (Position 3(black, +)) and the outer wire needs to be spliced into the iMid Harness (Position 19 (white, -)). If this is confusing you, check out this video for reference

3. Once you've done that, you should now have an RCA Male cable dangling from your iMid harness. Run that to your head unit and plug it into the RCA female of the head unit labeled (CAM VIN) which I assume means Camera Video In.

4. Once that done, plug the iMid harness back into the iMid display and test to see if the video signal is properly being sent from the iMid to the head unit when you put the car in reverse (NOTE: The video will not transmit if the iMid harness is not plugged into the iMid display).

At this point, all should be good. I don't believe that you need to do anything with the BACK cable on your head unit because is seems that your head unit is already displaying the camera when your car is in reverse based on your pictures. You most likely are triggering reverse with the wire harness from your head Unit to the CIVIC.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

Jim

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Sunheng,

No worries my man, that's what this forum is for and you are just about there! So let's review:

1. First, you need to get yourself a male-to-male RCA cable, any old cable from a VCR, DVD Player, Console, etc will do. Alternatively, you can buy a dedicated one on Amazon like this. Once you get that, you need to cut one side off completely and leave it long enough to run from your iMid harness to your head unit ( about 3ft should do). So one side of the cable is RCA Male and the other is cut bare wire

2. When you cut the RCA cable, there will be a wire inside a wire, the inner wire needs to be spliced into the iMid Harness (Position 3(black, +)) and the outer wire needs to be spliced into the iMid Harness (Position 19 (white, -)). If this is confusing you, check out this video for reference

3. Once you've done that, you should now have an RCA Male cable dangling from your iMid harness. Run that to your head unit and plug it into the RCA female of the head unit labeled (CAM VIN) which I assume means Camera Video In.

4. Once that done, plug the iMid harness back into the iMid display and test to see if the video signal is properly being sent from the iMid to the head unit when you put the car in reverse (NOTE: The video will not transmit if the iMid harness is not plugged into the iMid display).

At this point, all should be good. I don't believe that you need to do anything with the BACK cable on your head unit because is seems that your head unit is already displaying the camera when your car is in reverse based on your pictures. You most likely are triggering reverse with the wire harness from your head Unit to the CIVIC.

Jim
Do I need to get a RCA cable with the detection trigger wire or without?

RCA cable without detection trigger wire

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used this pin layout to figure it out on my 2015 civic lx. The wire colors on mine where different but the pins where the same. My harness different have the reverse trigger so I spliced it from the imid connector also.

Hector Handwriting Font Parallel Pattern Paper

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do I need the Detection Trigger Wire though? If not, I'll just buy the one without since it's cheaper.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Sunheng,

Jim
I think you're right that I don't need to do anything with the "BACK" wire since whenever I reverse, the head unit screen goes black anyway. So I'm assuming it just needs the video signal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Sunheng,

Jim
Hey Jim, on step 2, once I cut one side of the male RCA video cable, there will be smaller black and red cables inside just like the picture below, right? If so, would I just need to connect the small black cable to Position 3 (back, +) and connect the small red cable to Position 19 (white, -)? Just want to clarify.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Hey Jim, on step 2, once I cut one side of the male RCA video cable, there will be smaller black and red cables inside just like the picture below, right? If so, would I just need to connect the small black cable to Position 3 (back, +) and connect the small red cable to Position 19 (white, -)? Just want to clarify.
That's correct. Although it may not have two cables like in your picture, more likely there is a cable within the cable like the picture below. In this example, the red cable on the inside (signal carrier) is what you connect to position 3 (black, +) and the shielding/ground you would connect to position 19 (white, -).

·
Registered
13 Posts
That's correct. Although it may not have two cables like in your picture, more likely there is a cable within the cable like the picture below. In this example, the red cable on the inside (signal carrier) is what you connect to position 3 (black, +) and the shielding/ground you would connect to position 19 (white, -).
View attachment 493297
Thank you very much for the clarification and tips, I will give it a try once it gets a bit warmer outside, right now it’s like 30°F outside and possibly snowing, the weather has been terrible lately. Hopefully everything will work smoothly. I appreciate your help, Jim. Will update once it’s finished.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Thank you very much for the clarification and tips, I will give it a try once it gets a bit warmer outside, right now it’s like 30°F outside and possibly snowing, the weather has been terrible lately. Hopefully everything will work smoothly. I appreciate your help, Jim. Will update once it’s finished.
Best of luck. How do you like that Daisata head unit? Looks pretty nice (other then the WAP by Megan Thee Stallion) ;)

21 - 40 of 59 Posts