9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A hole on the steering wheel of a new 2012 Civic - Please Help!

I recently purchased a new 2012 Civic LX Sedan (I live in Toronto, Canada) and after 2 days of driving it, I found a hole on the center-back of the steering wheel.

I took it to the dealer (different from the dealer from what I bought the car from as it was closer to me) and the mechanic say I have to take it back to the original dealer as either the original dealer or I caused the damage. After insisting I didn't do anything, the mechanic went to another 2012 Civic and examined the steering wheel. To his surprise, there is ALSO a hole on that 2012 Civic's center-back steering wheel as well. I asked him why, and he said he guess they are all like that from Honda Canada and there is nothing he can do about it.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Pretty sure I have it too on my EX (from Canada). I have felt it, but I always forget to look for it when I park. Fiancée has the car right now but I'll have to look for sure now.
My guess is it's a hole from filling the mold for the rubber wheel. Should it be there, no- should it bother anyone, IMO no...
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty sure I have it too on my EX (from Canada). I have felt it, but I always forget to look for it when I park. Fiancée has the car right now but I'll have to look for sure now.
My guess is it's a hole from filling the mold for the rubber wheel. Should it be there, no- should it bother anyone, IMO no...
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
I guess it is a Canadian thing?

When the mechanic showed me the hole on the other 2012 Civic, that hole is MUCH MORE subdued (it is kind of flat) than the one on my car. The hole on MY 2012 Civic looks like a irregular hole carved out by a 5 year old with a sharp knife, and I definitely notice it when I am driving.

·
2014 January FB2/FB6 ROTM
1,937 Posts
Actually, i also noticed this hole or slight cut in the steering wheel. In reality, its just a production error or something they do. Cuz, if you go to a store and look at one of those nerf balls you find in the toy section, this is a reference that i think is very similar to this problem and its not a dealership issue more of a material issue, there is also one of these types of holes or grooves where they cut the material off. itss a bit hard to explain, but don't worry about it. it won't tear or get worse unless you purposely pick at it bro. if you want, i can take a pic of my LX which also has this. my parents thought it was a major problem and was afraid it would get worse overtime but it hasnt as i had the car for 3 months now.

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
hmm...haven't looked at my si yet for this hole.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah, I've got that too. I was secretly wondering if it was a flaw that would increase over time, or something left over from an injection-molding-like process. After seeing your picture, I think it's the latter, so I'm less worried and more annoyed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just went to the parking lot to check. My Canadian LX has a dimple, not a chunk as shown in the OP's photos. Never felt it though.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have a Civic EX-L. Their is no hole on the steering wheel but my steering wheel is wrapped in leather.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just went to the parking lot to check. My Canadian LX has a dimple, not a chunk as shown in the OP's photos. Never felt it though.
Yes, when I went to my Honda Dealer and the mechanic showed me the other 2012 Civic, it is a "dimple" (flat circle that is ignorable) compared with the one on mine, which is actually quite intrusive and quite a big chunk (in irregular shape). I will definitely be calling my salesperson to that replaced.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i also have couple of interior leather/fabric tear. one is on the side of the leather armrest. another one in the top panel close to sunroof liner. my dealer already agreed to change the armrest. but the roof panel tear i saw it couple of days ago, and i don't know how the dealer is going to react to the new tear. i've already spoke to honda customer care, i was told dealer suppose to fix that as the car is still under warranty. i've my fingers crossed that the dealer will do something about the second tear. weird thing is those tears appeared in places where you'll not put your fingers/hands on.

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
can you guys confirm if the hole is on the LX, EX, Si?

·
Registered
25 Posts
My EX has it too. As did the 15 year old Nissan I traded in for it. It's not a production flaw, it's not a defect, it's the spot they filled the mold from. If it bothers you enough to bug the dealer they might get you one with a less noticeable dimple, but they're all going to have it to some degree.

·
2014 January FB2/FB6 ROTM
1,937 Posts
USA here, No hole.... thinking about modding mine for the weight reduction.....lol

That was a good one 06siguy.
After all, that 0.01 lb of wieght difference provides a world of lightness ;)

·
Registered
224 Posts
I drive 2012 Si and there is nothing like this on my steering wheel, my gf drives 2012 EXL and it does NOT have it either

**i had to come back and edit this post as i just checked the EXL and i noticed that it is not there, i must have been confusing it with another car, so just to clarify, the Si and the EXL both DO NOT have this dimple/chunck missing

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm assuming its because the Si is leather wrapped so there's no dimple, and the other steering wheels are probably done via some type of injection mold as it feels like rubber/foam material so that's just a dimple from when the material is in the mold then pulled out of the mold

1 - 20 of 45 Posts