9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Missing USB Cable,need help where to connect it

18K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  Gh0st 
#1 ·
I have a honda civic 2012 lx that came with no USB Cable, (i bought the car but i did not check it)i want to buy a USB Female cable adapter for the civic, but i have no idea where to connect it, i dont see a spot behind the radio, May i get some help on where it must connect?

#2 · (Edited)
Is this a US, or CAN, or Asian, or Europe, Civic? Did you buy it used (assuming so)? Is this a sedan, or coupe? The US 2012 sedan Owner's manual shows the USB cable located under the console armrest. It comes clipped in place, and must be un=clipped from the back of the console bin to be used. However, the OM states that this feature is NOT available on all models, so there may not be a jack for it on the back of the audio unit. I don't recall if the DX and LX used a different base radio unit from the EX models in 2012. For 2015, all models have the USB port in the center console bin, but they changed audio units in 2014 MY. I use a 6 inch long USB extension cable to make it easier to change flash drives without pulling on the factory cable, even though the OM says not to. See page 145 of the OM, or here:

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/R01212/R01212OM.pdf

#5 ·
I'd bet the DX didn't have one, but when I was shopping, I was only looking at Nav. equipped cars. And of course, you've answered it while I was typing. Good show.

Reactions: mno86
#4 ·
Just took a peak on Honda's press release of the 2012 Civic. Sounds like all models except the Civic DX came with the USB. If that's the case, it should be in the center console (there's a spot on the back 'wall' where it clips into the console when not in use). You'd need a male USB adapter if that's the case, assuming you have a US model. Most Target's have $5 tech accessories - great deal to stock up on chargers/cords/etc.

Text Font Line Number

#6 · (Edited)
Hey,thanks for the response, it is an USA LX model 4 door sedan, not a DX, i bought it from a honda dealer, in the center console, there is just a hole where the USB should be. I am trying to email the dealer with no response. I found USB adapter but i don't know where to connect it. Would the adapter connect to the radio or some where else. I have looked at the back of the radio but there is no spot to connect it to. Does the adapter connect to somewhere else. Does anyone have diagram or pictures? Thanks for the help

#7 ·
Looks to me like parts 2 & 3 are what is needed. 2 is the part that goes into the "hole" in the back of the console bin. 3 is the wire that goes through the console to the audio unit. Is part 3 in the console? Looks like if you remove the rear garnish panel from the console, you have access to where the cable assembly should be. I can't find any pin out or diagram of the back of the audio unit. I'm a bit confused as to why the USB port is missing from this car.

CONSOLE for 2012 Honda CIVIC SEDAN

ANTENNA (1) for 2012 Honda CIVIC SEDAN

WIRE HARNESS (3) for 2012 Honda CIVIC SEDAN

#8 ·
@Jamis, that is what i found so far.I found the USB Female Cable Adapter For Honda Civic,
i am just still looking where to plug in the usb adapter. I read in another blog that it is in the IMID but that did not make sense to me. I am trying to get a hold of the Honda dealer to explain to me why this piece was missing with no avail. Thanks for the response, if you find any kind of diagrams please post. thanks

#10 · (Edited)
This is just the weirdest thing and I am fascinated right now - please keep us updated.

This is what it should look like (or very close) for a 2012 LX inside your center console (the photo on the right may be an EX, as I can't remember if LX have a second round outlet in them. But I attached it to better show how it works.

Have we determined what market Civic you have? Is it Canadian? US? I'd have to research to see if the Canadian LX came with the USB, but I know the one sold in the US did.

Vehicle Car Car seat Family car
Car Vehicle Technology

#9 ·
Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance, but I do have some questions.
1. I'm assuming this is a used car purchase?
2. If so, how many miles on the odometer?
3. If the USB cable is completely missing from the console, it begs the question was this car involved in an accident and the USB port was left out in the repair.
4. This might explain the dealer's reluctance to talk about it. I'm thinking it was an auction car that they put on their lot to sell.
5. Might be worth paying for a CarFax report to see it's history.
My son bought a used Civic coupe from a Honda dealer once and after a few months rust developed in the driver's side rear quarter panel. When we took the interior apart to check to see if the rust was elsewhere, we found broken glass inside the body from the rear quarter window. Obviously, the car had been in an accident earlier in it's life. The dealer may/may not have known about it.

Oh yeah, the USB cable may plug into the wiring harness of the dash and not into the audio unit itself. In my car, the iMID and the Nav unit display slightly different song information when playing USB drives. The iMID shows the song title from the title field and the Nav shows the song title from file name. It doesn't explain how they are connected, but it suggests they are sharing the input from the USB port.

#11 ·
See post #6, it's a US model purchased from a Honda dealer. OP posted that the console recepticle is missing. Apparently, so is the cable assembly that runs through the console to the dash area. I'm betting it was an auction wreck purchased by the dealer to sell. I find it interesting that the dealer won't talk to him, at least so far.

#12 ·
My bad - didn't catch that somehow. I'd probably look into a Carfax at this point. Or call American Honda. They're usually useless, but they might take this case a bit more seriously. I'm wondering what kinda damage the car could've sustained that affected the center console. I've seen some photos of intense crashes in the Civic where the interior was affected, but the car was a total loss at that point beyond repair.

#13 ·
Hi
@Jamis
1. It was used but bought at a dealer, certified
2.33,000 miles on it
3.i Have the car fax and it was clean, no car crash or anything
@mno86
My car looks just like the first picture except with out the clip that says "USB" but just a hole where it was (photo on the left)

The dealer just got back to me and he wants me to bring the car in to see what the problem is, even though i told him its missing the USB cable, I will keep you guys updated, hopefully he can put the cable in and hopefully my car will not rust underneath, is there a way to prevent that ?Is there a service manual for the honda civic 2012 ?

#14 ·
Does it look like someone broke it off? Can't even see how that's possible, but who knows. If it was certified used, the dealership DEFINITELY should've caught that (and you should absolutely have them put it back in on their dime).

Car shouldn't rust. I'm guessing the USB runs down through the center console under the shift up into the radio. Just a guess.

#15 ·
Car shouldn't rust. I'm guessing the USB runs down through the center console under the shift up into the radio. Just a guess.
Yes, according to the parts diagram in the first link I posted, the USB cable runs inside the console on thebpassenger side from the armrest bin to under the dash. I'll be surprised if it's not there when the dealer tears the console apart. Perhaps only the bin part (#2) is missing.

Reactions: mno86
#16 ·
In my 2012 Si the USB cable ran from the armrest in the center console down through the console up towards the front of the car and then plugged into a connector which ran who knows where. The connector is not a normal USB plug. It was attached right at the base of the dashboard where the dashboard meets the console on the passenger side.

#17 ·
Wonder if the OP has had a chance to take this problem to the dealer yet? Really curious to see what the resolution is/was.

#19 ·
Well, it's been ten days since the original post. I guess it wasn't too important an issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.