9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll try and keep this short. Purchased a new Civic SI coupe recently. I had a Honda Moonroof Visor installed. When the car hits 35 miles an hour you hear a hissing noise like a tire loosing air. Long story short, worked with the dealer to determine its definitely the visor. Had it replaced, same problem. Comparing this to my 03 Civic SI with a visor, the new one cannot be fastened as tight to the roof as the older models so air gets under the weatherstripping (at least I think that is the problem). Has any one else had this issue? If so, did you get it fixed. I think the problem will be with all coupes (and maybe sedans), not just the SI. I'd like to hear from others so that I can maybe bolster my case with Honda. I plan to write American Honda and will keep people posted as to what I find out. If you have a similar experience, please let me know. It may help in my discussions with Honda. I think they can fix it by making smaller clips but I'm not a auto engineer.​

·
Registered
241 Posts
sounds like they're either not using very good 2-way adhesive OR they aren't using it all the way around. Also, they may not be cleaning both surfaces with an alcohol solution prior to applying the adhesive (car and the visor). Usually you see this happen more with the home installations; professional ones shouldn't have an issue. I'd definitely bring it back and get them to do a better install.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sounds like they're either not using very good 2-way adhesive OR they aren't using it all the way around. Also, they may not be cleaning both surfaces with an alcohol solution prior to applying the adhesive (car and the visor). Usually you see this happen more with the home installations; professional ones shouldn't have an issue. I'd definitely bring it back and get them to do a better install.
The Honda visor goes on without any adhesive. They installed the old one and new one twice. I could try a different dealer to see if another one does a better job.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I moved my clips around so the visor had a goo seat. I don't hear any noise

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Thanks, I'll check and see what I can do. Since I purchased it at the same time as the car, I went through the dealer. Did the install on my 03 myself. Maybe I will have better luck doing it myself.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally got this figured out. The dealership could not and thought it was the visor design. I was driving, heard the noise and put my hand in the space between the sunroof and the liner. The noise stopped. It was than that I realized that it was the seal on the moonroof that was the problem, not the visor at all. I went to the dealership today and they worked with me. They had a number of different weatherstripping tapes. We put 1/8" by 1" by 1/2" piece of weather-stripping over the visor clamp in the same location. Closed the sunroof and that fixed the problem.

I never got around to writing to Honda. I still think I should. Maybe they will want to look at it or maybe they will do something for me.​

·
I Like Grits
9,655 Posts
I finally got this figured out. The dealership could not and thought it was the visor design. I was driving, heard the noise and put my hand in the space between the sunroof and the liner. The noise stopped. It was than that I realized that it was the seal on the moonroof that was the problem, not the visor at all. I went to the dealership today and they worked with me. They had a number of different weatherstripping tapes. We put 1/8" by 1" by 1/2" piece of weather-stripping over the visor clamp in the same location. Closed the sunroof and that fixed the problem.

I never got around to writing to Honda. I still think I should. Maybe they will want to look at it or maybe they will do something for me.​

Thank U for sharing and explaining the problem and resolution. Im sure there will be many threads regarding this topic in the future, maybe folx will find yer post

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.