9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Photoshop Masta
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I have a rear windshield visor I bought off of ProCivic, I've had it on for about 3 weeks now and almost half of it popped off. I used some exterior double sided (3M) tape that supposedly can hold 5lbs, I thought I had enough, it looked like too much at first but I figured extra would best. THIS is more or less what I used.

What did you guys use? For those who have one anyways. Thanks!

·
Registered
947 Posts
I don't have the visor but maybe the wind that will hit it will cause the pressure to amount to more than 5lbs. I am not really a physicist but I'm guessing that plays a part in it.

Reactions: Stigmacher

·
Photoshop Masta
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have the visor but maybe the wind that will hit it will cause the pressure to amount to more than 5lbs. I am not really a physicist but I'm guessing that plays a part in it.
Well it's supposedly 5lbs per square inch...I think. When I put in on, I thought to myself "damn, I'm gonna have a terrible time taking this thing off", that's how strong it felt once I mounted it. Now, it's loose? Damn!

·
Registered
947 Posts
If it felt that strong to you then it should've help up. Maybe rain or something could've weakened it?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ive used something called window weld with my previous cars and it held up REALLY good. Or go to auto parts store and get something that will hold up to window and plastic as well. Just remember weather is a big factor in this make sure it doesnt rain or its cold once u put it on.

·
Photoshop Masta
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Did ProCivic have any insight as to mounting?
Thanks for the replies guys!!

dpzlilfrank14 - Yeah I don't know. The only thing I can think of is possibly hitting/nudging it when washing my car, it just popped up yesterday and it's been on for a few weeks. That's all I can think of.

deveinonmystick - Thanks for the tips! I'll look into it.

Digger - Nah bro! I looked into myself.

I'm thinking of re-mounting it with the same tape, except this time I won't put much in the middle, which will help keep the edges mounted, cause the edge is what popped off, the middle is fine.

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
Hey bro of you didn't clean the mounting area properly the tape didn't make a good bond so some dust stuck around and the tape worked for a bit and then got saturated.the best thing to do
Is pull it off and start fresh,clean the mounting surface good the best is to go to your local body shop supply and see of they sell a product by Klean Strip that's called prep-all clean both the visor and mounting surface and make sure you remove the old glue residue off completely.they should sell the stronger 3m tape as well use it and take your time line it up and one shot it press and hold hard.then grab your mom or old ladies hair dryer and right on the edge of the tape warm it up and keep holding it.lmk

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Photoshop Masta
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey bro of you didn't clean the mounting area properly the tape didn't make a good bond so some dust stuck around and the tape worked for a bit and then got saturated.the best thing to do
Is pull it off and start fresh,clean the mounting surface good the best is to go to your local body shop supply and see of they sell a product by Klean Strip that's called prep-all clean both the visor and mounting surface and make sure you remove the old glue residue off completely.they should sell the stronger 3m tape as well use it and take your time line it up and one shot it press and hold hard.then grab your mom or old ladies hair dryer and right on the edge of the tape warm it up and keep holding it.lmk

Your sir, are awesome! Good tips. Yeah, I'm gonna redo it this weekend, I also noticed it's not lined up as well as it could be, the side that popped off (passenger side) is a tad bit closer to the roof than the drivers side is, that could've played a roll too.

Thanks again bro! Good stuff.

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
Just here to help with what I can especially having the experience it helps if you can learn anything from anything is don't half ass installs it may cost you double later

·
Photoshop Masta
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just here to help with what I can especially having the experience it helps if you can learn anything from anything is don't half ass installs it may cost you double later

I appreciate that, for real.

When I first installed it I was worried I wouldn't be able to get it off lol that's how sturdy it felt. After further examination, my only 2 'discoveries' as to why it may have popped off is that I may have hit it/nudged it while washing it or the fact that it's slightly off alignment, only one side is coming off, the middle and the drivers side is still VERY sturdy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts