9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 95 Posts

·
I Need A Vacation
13,117 Posts
As a daily driver why do you need so much more horsepower?

Honda can easily build a car thar blows away a BMW M3 if they wanted to but whats the point. Honda is a business and like any other business they are out to make money and the best way to do that is designing affordable quality commuter cars and sell millions of cars.
Honda can barely sell any Si as it is, the enthusiasts market is small. If Honda adds some of those features your looking for OP then the price starts to creep up and Honda knows they will sell even fewer Si then they already are.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,092 Posts
Imho, the Si model is a bone.

That is, Honda makes its bread and butter with their lower trim level cars, especially with the Civics. Based on my own observations, the 8th and 9th gen LX/EX/Si ratio is about 50/10/1. The Si is the 'sports' model of Civic to keep sports-minded small car fans in the Honda camp. I don't think Honda is overly concerned with the competition, as long as they sell most of the esseyes they produce.

Then figure in the almost gone days of race on Sunday/sell on Monday. That's just not priority anymore in this country from many manufacturers. NASCAR is a hollow shell of itself with less brands represented than in the past. And there isn't any other form of auto racing that has much of any following in this country.

You want a hot Civic? Try Europe or Japan.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,117 Posts
I agree with you Scotty. The Si is there to fill a trim, to complete the full model range. It's definitely not there to make much money since they sell too few.
If Honda is going to spend money on R&D its going to be on the bread and butter models. I think Honda will continue to offer the Si in a affordable and excellent overall package but won't be too concerned about challenging an Sti anytime soon. Like I said before the enthusiasts market is a small one.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
If you want a 300hp awd "pocket rocket", go buy one!.. It's called a WRX STI. But you gotta cough up $12,000 more for that!!... Otherwise, stop complaining!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
This!!

I work for Honda and have for about 4 years.
Honda 1st thinks about reliability
2nd future retained value
3rd price comparison with models in its class.

If you look at the other cars it compares against, they are ALL more money. And not by a grand or so several more.

Honda will not make another RWD vehicle until it releases another TRUE sports car like the S2000.

Honda NEVER badged the Si as its sports car. You and other as customers have done that.

The Si is just simply a civic with minor performance enhancements that make it more fun to drive. Nothing more nothing less.

I'm tired of reading about some baby cry person who says "Oh the si is a let down"
"Oh the Mazda speed 3 or focus St is faster"
"Oh the FRS/BRZ are RWD and Handel better"
So y didn't you buy one????
because the Si offers THE BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK PERIOD.Those are are cars that are 3+ grand more expensive and don't have the reliability rating as Honda nor the future retained valve.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
355 Posts
This!!

If you look at the other cars it compares against, they are ALL more money. And not by a grand or so several more.

Honda will not make another RWD vehicle until it releases another TRUE sports car like the S2000.

Honda NEVER badged the Si as its sports car. You and other as customers have done that.

The Si is just simply a civic with minor performance enhancements that make it more fun to drive. Nothing more nothing less.

I'm tired of reading about some baby cry person who says "Oh the si is a let down"
because the Si offers THE BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK PERIOD.Those are are cars that are 3+ grand more expensive and don't have the reliability rating as Honda nor the future retained valve.

You tell them buddy!

·
Banned
549 Posts
I'm tired of the cry babies too. I'm happy with my SI the way it is. You want to spend $1000's to make yours better??... Good for you!... But please stop crying.... You should have bought a different car... That's what this thread is REALLY about. If you didn't buy an SI knowing you would have to Mod the hell out of it to keep up with $28,000 + cars, your the fool....

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Imho, the Si model is a bone.

That is, Honda makes its bread and butter with their lower trim level cars, especially with the Civics. Based on my own observations, the 8th and 9th gen LX/EX/Si ratio is about 50/10/1. The Si is the 'sports' model of Civic to keep sports-minded small car fans in the Honda camp. I don't think Honda is overly concerned with the competition, as long as they sell most of the esseyes they produce.

Then figure in the almost gone days of race on Sunday/sell on Monday. That's just not priority anymore in this country from many manufacturers. NASCAR is a hollow shell of itself with less brands represented than in the past. And there isn't any other form of auto racing that has much of any following in this country.

You want a hot Civic? Try Europe or Japan.

AND

This!!

I agree with both of these replies...

Honda is going to stick with what has made money for them and that's why you see so many mid to late 1990's models as well 2000's models still on the road today! It's the Mid-level Civics, which is the bread and butter for Honda. Same reason as what happened in the 1970's is happening today - GAS prices increasing or staying at levels we as Americans never thought we'd see $3.39 a gallon (approx average) across USA. the last time that gas was under a $1.00 from what I remember was June 1999 through about April 2000. I remember getting gas for as low as $. 87 cents in South Carolina, mainly because the taxes on gas are cheaper.

In the 1970's the downfall of the big muscle cars was gas price increase! October 1973 when members of OAPEC (Organization of Arab Petroleum Exporting Countries) proclaimed an oil embargo. Those of us that are older, in our 40's now remember the long lines and gas rationing back then.

Just like SB2012SI said above the SI is not badged as a "sports car". I called Honda of Fricso and asked one of the sales people myself and they said no it's not truly a "Sports Car" it has minor differences from the other Civic trim levels that people tend to confuse it as a "Sports Car".

From the posts that I have seen from everyone appears the same or similar responses. Everyone has had a Honda previously before the Civic that they have now! Honda = reliability! Just like SB2012SI said above and now below.

If you wanted something faster you would or should have bought it. I bought because of dependability and reliability! Honda's first thought!!!

As ScottyRocks stated: You want a hot Civic? Try Europe or Japan. Personally if I was in either Europe or Japan, I would use the train system so much easier to get around, plus you have to pay for parking, foreign insurance rates much higher along with getting a drivers permit in either locales.

That's my 2 cents

·
Registered
761 Posts
I love my Si! I remember when I ordered it and had to wait 4 months for it to arrive, I'd sit at the dinner table with laptop open on Hondas website and just sit and stare at the build your Si section and would read and read the available options, features etc...it fits me just fine. In fact plan on leaving it stock, only MAYBE a mild drop to fill the wheel gap and possibly tint the windows and that's it for me. OP has a right to his opinion as we all do, but for me I love my Si:)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
And yet none of all your arguments from all these posts make me want a 250 HP Si any less, fascinating, best take your STi speeches somewhere else cus I will never give Subaru another dime after that chirping disaster of a BRZ engine. No car maker is beyond reproach so I'm not buying it. I don't care about your demographics. I buy the Si for speed, we all do or we would be in an EX-L. You dont want 50 more horsepower?? Yea right. They don't make SC and turbo kits for most normal cars, they make them for the Si. 250 HP Si comes out tomorrow and most of you guys will want it. You don't post all day on a performace thread forum cus your driving a Chevy Cruise. You guys are silly. Si stands for sports injected but it's more like flinstones sports chewable. There are boring cars that do 200 HP. Time to up the HP, bottom line. It isn't always about HP, but sometimes it is.

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
And yet none of all your arguments from all these posts make me want a 250 HP Si any less, fascinating, best take your STi speeches somewhere else cus I will never give Subaru another dime after that chirping disaster of a BRZ engine. No car maker is beyond reproach so I'm not buying it. I don't care about your demographics. I buy the Si for speed, we all do or we would be in an EX-L. You dont want 50 more horsepower?? Yea right. They don't make SC and turbo kits for most normal cars, they make them for the Si. 250 HP Si comes out tomorrow and most of you guys will want it. You don't post all day on a performace thread forum cus your driving a Chevy Cruise. You guys are silly.
So make your own 250 hp SI because I guarantee you if Honda brought out a 250 hp SI you'd be like wth I want 300 hp and so on and so fourth.
You think Subaru guys say aw to hell with it I got 300 that's it I'm done? Nope they go and mod those cars too.
Same as ANY car most like you always want more and aren't happy with what you have.go live in India or Africa or a third world country tell em your pissed that your Honda doesn't have 250 hp?they might slap the living daylights outta you.
Tell me what do you plan on doing with 250 hp?........

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
I love my Si! I remember when I ordered it and had to wait 4 months for it to arrive, I'd sit at the dinner table with laptop open on Hondas website and just sit and stare at the build your Si section and would read and read the available options, features etc...it fits me just fine. In fact plan on leaving it stock, only MAYBE a mild drop to fill the wheel gap and possibly tint the windows and that's it for me. OP has a right to his opinion as we all do, but for me I love my Si:)

One of the most sensible post here. Agree or agree to disagree and share opinions. How refreshing.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
So make your own 250 hp SI because I guarantee you if Honda brought out a 250 hp SI you'd be like wth I want 300 hp and so on and so fourth.
You think Subaru guys say aw to help with it I got 300 that's it I'm done? Nope they go and mod those cars too.
Same as ANY car most like you always want more and aren't happy with what you have.go live in India or Africa or a third world country tell em your pissed that your Honda doesn't have 250 hp?they might slap the living daylights outta you.
Tell me what do you plan on doing with 250 hp?........

Smile as much as when I test drive the Focus ST.

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
If you want a 300hp awd "pocket rocket", go buy one!.. It's called a WRX STI. But you gotta cough up $12,000 more for that!!... Otherwise, stop complaining!

Youre thinking of base price. with the nav better interior and all the creature comforts you want, look to spend 40grand before taxes and fees

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
Smile as much as when I test drive the Focus ST.
Then go buy a focus done deal.ford is garbage anyways but I guess bells as whistles hide the true underlinings just like an ugly girl with hella make-up.
Or beer goggles then your like wtf did I just do last night.
Yeah focus might be fun,go ask the ford mechanics how much they love em.they'll tell you it keeps food on their table.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Honda has never been about big powerful numbers they are more track oriented IMO. I own a 2012 GTi (apr tuned) and a 2013 SI 4dr and the civic has so much more grip it is scary. When I take the GTI around mid ohio im fighting to find grip (tune on or off) the si im having fun trying to loose it.
just my 2 cents

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
So yea, I want my Hondas with a bit more power with a factory warranty. What's wrong with that? But I should only want what Honda want me to have??? Can I have some of that marketing cool aid so I can be happy too??

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
You know there is the honda CR-Z too.. its not fast per se but it is a driver's car, gets good mileage and still has that honda practicality

21 - 40 of 95 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.