9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to run autocross every weekend in the summer months but having kids, career and moving pulled me away from series registering since 2008. I did the odd event here and there though. The last event I did before this season was 2016.

In April I got laid off so I picked up a 2015 lx and a set of tires. Used my free time to put on the mods that made the biggest difference on my 8th gen. My favorite local series got delayed until August due to losing a venue so I've only done 2 events so far. But they are running an 8 event season into the fall.

My first time out this season was pretty rough and I had no clean runs. Cones on every run!

This video was from my 2nd time out and it went much better. No cones all day. Still gotta clean up my act to leave less time out there but the event left me with that "I'm back baby!" Feeling.
View: https://youtu.be/e0umfbYNbaE

·
Truck? What truck?!
28,017 Posts
Welcome to 9th gen.

Very cool, overall. Nice to see an R18 in action like that.

I'm probably not the only R18 owner who wants to know your mods to the car. It's hard to get significant performance gains with this engine. As a racer, what has worked for you, for both power and handling?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome!

I've done nothing to even search for more power. My goal with this car is just to make it fun to drive and for me that means good handling and responsiveness.

The mod's I think had the most effect on performance are:
-urethane bushings for the front control arms
-urethane engine mount
-chamber bolts for front struts, and agressive alignment. I gotta find the sheet with the specs on alignment but it's as much chamber as the bolts would let me get on the front and toe out in the front and back.

I also did:
-Rear chamber links
-custom short ram
-a custom throttle pedal cover to bring it closer to the brake for heel & toe inputs
-Hondata to get rid of the throttle response delays, rev hang and to stop it from Vteching wen the computer thinks it's time to save gas in the middle of an autocross.
-Unplug a wheel sensor at events to disable abs & vsa because it always kills throttle when you get the slightest slide.
-NRG bucket

·
Registered
398 Posts
I used to run autocross every weekend in the summer months but having kids, career and moving pulled me away from series registering since 2008. I did the odd event here and there though. The last event I did before this season was 2016.

In April I got laid off so I picked up a 2015 lx and a set of tires. Used my free time to put on the mods that made the biggest difference on my 8th gen. My favorite local series got delayed until August due to losing a venue so I've only done 2 events so far. But they are running an 8 event season into the fall.

My first time out this season was pretty rough and I had no clean runs. Cones on every run!

This video was from my 2nd time out and it went much better. No cones all day. Still gotta clean up my act to leave less time out there but the event left me with that "I'm back baby!" Feeling.
View: https://youtu.be/e0umfbYNbaE
Nice run!

A couple of things to make you faster. The R18 has plenty of low end grunt, I don’t believe you needed to downshift to 1st for anything. Stay in 2nd.

You need to look ahead more. Some elements, you had too much steering input because you didn’t brake early enough. Limiting your steering input with hands on 3+9 will make you learn to give it up earlier to go faster.

More steering input = creates more bad habits.

But great run over all! It’s more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

Sent from my iPhone 13 Pro while on the toilet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks!

Great tips! You are spot on with what I thought of my runs based on what I felt and from what I saw watching the vids afterwards.

The next event is next weekend so hopefully I will show some more improvements!

Edit: Thinking about it though... not looking ahead was something I didn't think of as the reason for me going in too hot in several places. Thank you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is the video from the next event. I'm still making some rookie mistakes and struggleing to keep the whole course in my head.

Reminding myself to look ahead played a big part in feeling much better out there. No cones all day abd every run improved my time. But a screw up at the end of the last run cost me on a bigger last run improvement.

I'm having a blast this season!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So the last video was from event #4 in the series and this video is the last run from event #5. Another last run screw up!

Tomorrow is event #6 and I've removed the seats so easy 4 seconds faster right? 🤣

·
Registered
398 Posts
You need to slow down your hands and smooth out your steering inputs. It’s pretty jarring and you’re adding too much input on the really tight and slow spots. During the walk, make sure you make a mental note where the tight slow sections are and try to over brake. Then you’ll get more comfortable and go from there. Early braking = early acceleration. It will feel slow at first but your times will drop.

Example here, very tight right hand turn. I don’t bother leaving my hands from 3+9. This is my friends crx that I’m driving but the same concept applies

Sent from my iPhone 13 Pro while on the toilet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts