9th Gen Civic Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
was the pcv changed with an aftermarket one?

the non honda replacements rattle like hell at certain rpm's had this issue on our 2015 EX and it drove me crazy until isolating it with a stethoscope.
pcv is in the back passenger side on the R18, rubber hose going to it.
I'm not too sure honestly still trying to learn more about my car but posted a video of how it sounds on YouTube

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
im not saying replace it im saying pull the hose and see if the rattle goes away...

some of the cheaper replacements have a weak spring in them and rattle.
Ohhhh ok got it 👍🏽 I will do that tomorrow morning. Thank you I hope that's the case this noise has been bugging me for months and obnoxiously annoying hearing it when I drive through small streets

· Registered
484 Posts
So just replace the water pump or is it two different parts?
get an automotive stethoscope, and carefully listening around for the noise.

throwing parts at the problem will not solve it.

a quick test for isolating noises in the drive belt line, is to remove the belt, if the noise is gone with the belt off you know its one of the components in belt drive line.

· I Need A Vacation
14,782 Posts
So just replace the water pump or is it two different parts?
Don't replace anything before you get a proper diagnosis of the issue which from the sounds of it needs to be done by a qualified mechanic or else you'll be throwing parts at it all day all night.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
get an automotive stethoscope, and carefully listening around for the noise.

throwing parts at the problem will not solve it.

a quick test for isolating noises in the drive belt line, is to remove the belt, if the noise is gone with the belt off you know its one of the components in belt drive line.
That's the thing they removed the belt and it didn't make the noise and as soon as they put it bck on it started to make the noise and when I left the shop cause I definitely did not want to pay 800 for replacing 2 parts on my car they said even if we fix the tensioner and serpentine belt the noise will continue from either the power steering, alternator, or water pump.

· Registered
588 Posts
By process of elimination, it is the waterpump… change it. You’ll need 2 bottles of coolant, the pump, new gasket.

While you’re draining the coolant, you might as well replace the radiator hoses since they’re old now and maybe the thermostat since thats also old.

Sent from my iPhone 13 Pro while on the toilet.

· Registered
11 Posts
So I have a 2015 honda civic ex and everytime I drive their's this chain rattling noise coming from the right side area of the passenger side, it's only when I accelerate around 1500-1800 rpms once over that it goes away but not completely until I go bck to a lower speed. I already changed the tensioner,idler pulley, the harmonic balancer, on that area. But still making the noise while I drive also before all this I took it somewhere else and they said the tensioner had playback and forth but since then got it replaced brand new oem and still making noise.
whatyou have to remember vibration sound or any noise specially metal soundtravels so better of using a stethoscope or a long p[rybar and listen to where its coming from by touching iot to where you think strong noise is at or maybe its the cover or the heatshield with ro tiny rocks in it can cause rattle it could be your brakes on metal on metal ..depends on rattle sound plastic or metal

· Registered
20 Posts
It co
So I have a 2015 honda civic ex and everytime I drive their's this chain rattling noise coming from the right side area of the passenger side, it's only when I accelerate around 1500-1800 rpms once over that it goes away but not completely until I go bck to a lower speed. I already changed the tensioner,idler pulley, the harmonic balancer, on that area. But still making the noise while I drive also before all this I took it somewhere else and they said the tensioner had playback and forth but since then got it replaced brand new oem and still making noise.
it could be a heat shield that has broken free and rattles against the exhaust during idle or low rpms. This is not uncommon.
I would check the exhaust for and loose bits.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
But it doesn't
It co
it could be a heat shield that has broken free and rattles against the exhaust during idle or low rpms. This is not uncommon.
I would check the exhaust for and loose bits.
rattle when I'm stationary only does it while I drive and or go in reverse. And I even took it to get the exhaust check cause my car is lowered 3 inches and it scrapes alot on my invidia

· Registered
588 Posts
You already had someone diagnose it… I’m not sure why you’re looking at the forum for a 2nd opinion. Just go to a Honda dealer and have them actually diagnose it.

Sent from my iPhone 13 Pro while on the toilet.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Honda dealerships charge you and arm and a leg just to Diagnose the problem like I said above when they looked at it and said that the tensioner had playback bck and forth and even if they fixed it for 800$ the noise would be either still be coming from the power steering, water pump or alternator. And I did take it to another mechanic and they could hear the noise and said that it would be the harmonic balancer and it ended not being that as well when replaced. So I wanted to see if anyone was having that same kind of noise or issue on this forum to help but In my head I feel like it might be the waterpump cause I even took it to a muffler shop and everything is fine no loose shields or anything stuck.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts