9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased the hondata FLashPro and loaded the All stock tune went for a drive and took a datalog got high knock counts on cylinders 1 2 3 need to know if this is safe or not im new to all of this
2020-11-13.png

·
Registered
2012 CBP FG4
284 Posts
Is the car stock too? No aftermarket exhaust?

I know some tuners will take a look at logs for free. I think Steve at E-Tunez does.

I'm just learning myself, but this could just be phantom knocks. IIRC, the ECU in it's stock form doesn't register knock in the same fashion as it does when you flash the stock map from Hondata as Hondata had to write the code to interpret the "knock count".

Take a look at this:

·
Registered
2012 CBP FG4
284 Posts
Interesting. Do you remember Steve mentioning anything about the knock count/control on your tune as he was adjusting it over the few weeks of logs you took?

NOTE: (I'd noticed the high knock count during logging for Rev 3. Was going to mention it if the counts didn't come down but he mentioned it before I did.)

Rev3 log reply:

Hi Matt,

Looking over the datalogs, found some smoothing and AFR improvements, we are making progress, changes below:

Rev4: Things are coming along well here, we had to make a few adjustments here for better trims so less hesitaiton on/off throttle and a bit more response as a result, but looking good, it will feel more refined now with, both PT and WOT starting to dial in, some good power gains again, updated ignition for lower knock counts too, great work on the logs again :)

Lets do another set of the same logs here please :)

Steve

My Reply:

Wonderful. I'm glad you mentioned the knock count. I saw it when I peeked at the log and started to panic. But then remembered that I'm in good hands and decided to not even mention it. :D

I'm guessing with the changes being made I'll see the knock count go down as we progress through the Revisions?

Thanks again Steve!

Thanks,

Matt

Steve's Reply:

Hi Matt,
That is correct, it should slowly come down, I wish 9thgens has knock sensitivity tables but they do not. A stock car typical does about 1 knock per minute of driving, so very normal to have some. A 30 minute log on a stock cart with a stock tune will typically yield around 30 knocks.

In this case the counts will eventually be much lower as its tuned, but there will will be a few knocks from time to time. This is so it runs a bit more advanced ignition at cruise, for best MPG and as we set the tune right on the knock threshold for best performance (but not pushing it past the threshold continually like the stock tune). Another factor is that on 9thGens there is no knock sensitivity tables to adjust (at least not available to us) like on the 8thGens and other platforms. Normally when modified we decrease the sensitivity to account for louder parts (intake, pulleys, suspension rattles etc) just so we see only genuine counts. But as we can’t on 9thGens they will naturally have more knock counts then other Gens, just because we can't dial out the false ones :)

As long as the counts are randomized its completely normal, even the occasional count in the midrange (5-6k) at WOT is normal on 9thGens as we tune for peak cylinder loading via cam angles in that area, so while the timing will self correct, it will constantly try for 20-26 degrees of timing, with the occasional knock at 18-19 degrees there.

Hope that helps

Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the invidia N1 catback that’s it so far wanted to run hondatas stock reflash and eliminate rev hang until the summer time then I’m going to get the kraftwerks supercharger and get it dyno tuned but it’s cold at the moment lol but yea I deff wouldn’t mind someone taking a look at the logs and just telling me if it’s ok or if it’s something serious

·
Registered
2012 CBP FG4
284 Posts
Take a log and hit up Steve.

·
Registered
2012 Si sedan
156 Posts
NOTE: (I'd noticed the high knock count during logging for Rev 3. Was going to mention it if the counts didn't come down but he mentioned it before I did.)

Rev3 log reply:

Hi Matt,

Looking over the datalogs, found some smoothing and AFR improvements, we are making progress, changes below:

Rev4: Things are coming along well here, we had to make a few adjustments here for better trims so less hesitaiton on/off throttle and a bit more response as a result, but looking good, it will feel more refined now with, both PT and WOT starting to dial in, some good power gains again, updated ignition for lower knock counts too, great work on the logs again :)

Lets do another set of the same logs here please :)

Steve

My Reply:

Wonderful. I'm glad you mentioned the knock count. I saw it when I peeked at the log and started to panic. But then remembered that I'm in good hands and decided to not even mention it. :D

I'm guessing with the changes being made I'll see the knock count go down as we progress through the Revisions?

Thanks again Steve!

Thanks,

Matt

Steve's Reply:

Hi Matt,
That is correct, it should slowly come down, I wish 9thgens has knock sensitivity tables but they do not. A stock car typical does about 1 knock per minute of driving, so very normal to have some. A 30 minute log on a stock cart with a stock tune will typically yield around 30 knocks.

In this case the counts will eventually be much lower as its tuned, but there will will be a few knocks from time to time. This is so it runs a bit more advanced ignition at cruise, for best MPG and as we set the tune right on the knock threshold for best performance (but not pushing it past the threshold continually like the stock tune). Another factor is that on 9thGens there is no knock sensitivity tables to adjust (at least not available to us) like on the 8thGens and other platforms. Normally when modified we decrease the sensitivity to account for louder parts (intake, pulleys, suspension rattles etc) just so we see only genuine counts. But as we can’t on 9thGens they will naturally have more knock counts then other Gens, just because we can't dial out the false ones :)

As long as the counts are randomized its completely normal, even the occasional count in the midrange (5-6k) at WOT is normal on 9thGens as we tune for peak cylinder loading via cam angles in that area, so while the timing will self correct, it will constantly try for 20-26 degrees of timing, with the occasional knock at 18-19 degrees there.

Hope that helps

Steve
Thanks for the lengthy response, that's exactly what I was looking for. I'm looking forward to getting mine tuned by him!

·
Registered
2012 CBP FG4
284 Posts
Thanks for the lengthy response, that's exactly what I was looking for. I'm looking forward to getting mine tuned by him!
Absolutely. Nothing but a copy pasta from my email, and I feel like it's some good info to get out there.

I picked up my tune package last year right after Black Friday (I'd missed the sale, but they still gave me damn near the same discount a few days later), and then didn't use it until October of this year. If you already know that gonna purchase a tune, go ahead and do it during the Black Friday sale.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts