9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a 2012 Honda Civic Sedan (mileage = 25K), I am looking to buy a fuel system cleaner that I can use along with fueling the tank with gas. Is there a good and recommended fuel system cleaner that you guys are using and also what is the recommended mileage intervals to use this cleaner.

Thanks

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
Is your fuel system dirty? How do you know? How did it get dirty if it is? Did you use the search function before posting this question? This only comes up about every two weeks.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Winter gas is very dirty compared to summer gasoline and you are using more of it. There are many brands as long as the active ingredient is PEA. Top tier gas should be good enough until middle spring and then use a good additive at 1/2 dose for 2 tanks. A oil change would also be good at this point too.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Winter gas is very dirty compared to summer gasoline and you are using more of it. There are many brands as long as the active ingredient is PEA. Top tier gas should be good enough until middle spring and then use a good additive at 1/2 dose for 2 tanks. A oil change would also be good at this point too.
Just curious, are you referring to additives something like this?
RBP Diesel Additives

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Just curious, are you referring to additives something like this?
RBP Diesel Additives
I am referring to redline total fuel injection cleaner. This is the one I use. We use additives in our diesel fuel at work too. Winter gas has more butanes which raise the RVP and the combination of ethanol which does not start burning until 170 degrees and fuel enrichment from low temps cause poor mpg and a dirtier motor. Summer fuels has more aromatics which is a solvent and has cleaning and lubricating properties. A good top tier gas should be good enough but any fuel injection cleaner with poly ether amine will work. Some additives still use PEI which is not as strong. Also the concentration is different which is why I like redline at 50 percent. Do not use diesel additives in gasoline motors.

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
I am referring to redline total fuel injection cleaner. This is the one I use. We use additives in our diesel fuel at work too. Winter gas has more butanes which raise the RVP and the combination of ethanol which does not start burning until 170 degrees and fuel enrichment from low temps cause poor mpg and a dirtier motor. Summer fuels has more aromatics which is a solvent and has cleaning and lubricating properties. A good top tier gas should be good enough but any fuel injection cleaner with poly ether amine will work. Some additives still use PEI which is not as strong. Also the concentration is different which is why I like redline at 50 percent. Do not use diesel additives in gasoline motors.
Along with my smart-ass post above, I just ordered a bottle of Redline from Amazon. I read up on it and it does appear to be good stuff now and then. Just curious, S2C, why do you use it half strength?

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Along with my smart-ass post above, I just ordered a bottle of Redline from Amazon. I read up on it and it does appear to be good stuff now and then. Just curious, S2C, why do you use it half strength?
When you get the bottle look at the side there is application lines. One bottle is good for 100 gallons. This stuff is already in the gas so you won't need that much and you don't want to waste it. First application I use 1/4 bottle then wait a fill up and then use maintenance dose. More is usually not better and it could hurt the Catalytic converter efficiency. This is another reason I use premium gas because of fuel quality.

Edit The active ingredient is over 50 percent in the bottle compared to 30 percent or less. So you are getting more for your money.

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
When you get the bottle look at the side there is application lines. One bottle is good for 100 gallons. This stuff is already in the gas so you won't need that much and you don't want to waste it. First application I use 1/4 bottle then wait a fill up and then use maintenance dose. More is usually not better and it could hurt the Catalytic converter efficiency. This is another reason I use premium gas because of fuel quality.

Edit The active ingredient is over 50 percent in the bottle compared to 30 percent or less. So you are getting more for your money.
Thanks S2C. I've never actually read the label on a bottle. It's due in Friday. How's that for quick delivery from Amazon? Also, cheaper and no sales tax. I hate to not shop local but it would have come from a chain store anyway so not worried about this instance.

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
Do you have a update RC?
It's in the car right now but I've hardly driven it since putting it in the tank. In a little bit of town driving I noticed the mileage jumped up immediately. I'm guessing that's due to the upper cylinder lube reducing friction. It is a little smoother at idle too. Time will tell but I think it will be good given its noticeable right away.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
It's in the car right now but I've hardly driven it since putting it in the tank. In a little bit of town driving I noticed the mileage jumped up immediately. I'm guessing that's due to the upper cylinder lube reducing friction. It is a little smoother at idle too. Time will tell but I think it will be good given its noticeable right away.
You did not use the whole bottle? Did you see the markings on the side? Yes its the upper lubricant that is helping with mpg. Premium gas has that in it and is why I premium gas. Glad you are noticing a difference. Its great stuff. You wont need to add it every tank unless you are using the maintenance dose.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,208 Posts
I was in the habit of using Techron in my bikes twice a year, and maybe once a year in the car.

·
Registered
157 Posts
we use StarTron concentrate and a standard Lucas cleaner every fill-up and a Lucas Deep-Clean once a month. our fuel systems are immaculate...;)!

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
StarTron eats that corn syrup crap by the way...it's an enzymatic formula.
Trying the StarTron and it does do something. Not sure what the benefit is yet but if it helps the problem of ethanol it will be worth it. Engine is smoother. I threw some in the wife's car and she has not noticed a difference yet. Will report back when I see the results. IsoHeet seems to do the same thing at a cheaper cost.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've used IsoHeat, Startron, Lucas Ethanol Treatment, and the Gumout Ethanol Treatment...StarTron seems to work the best and also have the best customer service...:)! No joke...if you ever call in to their customer service line for questions or even to shoot the breeze...you will have one of the best experiences available. I speak firsthand...lol!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts