9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Si Coupe and late night after leaving my friends house the car didn’t want to move as I slipped the clutch it would stall so I had to get him to push it and when he did it started making all these wierd horrible noises that were in proportion to vehicle speed that were intermittent (came and gone randomly but could still feel something wrong with car). When I was about half a mile from my house to get to my house I heard a loud snapping noise in third gear then I felt in the shift knob. I discovered too that I started leaking transmission fluid close to the same time as I left a trail (the rain couldn’t wash away lol) in the beginning of my neighborhood leading to my house, which I discovered the next day along with a pool of the rest of the fluid under the car that finished coming out overnight. I did a test drive limited to 15 mph and there is grinding noises every time the car turns right which leads me to think it’s my diff as the past days earlier I was driving it hard and the lsd didn’t seem to be working as good as it should (losing traction, tires slipping). Also a week before this I had to fix my shifter assembly bc I broke the piece in there that goes when you bang gears a lot, which during so I lost a bolt on it that I had to replace because I couldn’t find it. If that bolt fell in my transmission, which I am considering, what kind of damage could it have done? The video is of the noise at first while dropping my other friend off before I headed home myself.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Question begs to be asked how hard do you drive the car and what is your mileage?
I bought the car at 100k last august and I put 15k on it since (I drive a lot). I don’t abuse the car but I redline it once a day and definitely drive spirited but am always on the gentler side with the gearbox. The car is bone stock except for shifter cable bushings, shift select springs, countersunk shift knob and an intake resonator delete. The car is at a shop right now since yesterday and I’m waiting for them to see what the problem is.

·
Registered
597 Posts
If you dropped a bolt in your transmission, it's best to assume it's all toast. Especially considering it sounds very nearly like you've cracked the case. Your best bet IMO is to buy a used trans.

·
Registered
2015 Honda Civic Si Coupe
725 Posts
Gonna agree with 9thgen. You dropped a bolt in the transmission, it's probably screwed to all hell.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you dropped a bolt in your transmission, it's best to assume it's all toast. Especially considering it sounds very nearly like you've cracked the case. Your best bet IMO is to buy a used trans.
Yeah I am expecting to end up needing a remanufactured tranny as it’s probably the best way to go considering the things that will need replacing. I spoke with the shop this morning and they should have an answer as to what is actually wrong with the car tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yeah I am expecting to end up needing a remanufactured tranny as it’s probably the best way to go considering the things that will need replacing. I spoke with the shop this morning and they should have an answer as to what is actually wrong with the car tomorrow morning.
IF your diff is shot, let me know. I just rebuilt my tranny and have a space OEM diff I can sell you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts