9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so we bought our new Civic on 10/22/12 with 19 miles on it. This past Thursday as my wife was driving our kids to school, the car started shaking and sputtering and eventually died within a period of 1 minute. It has half a tank of good 93 octane gas so I was baffled. I figured it was a fuel pump safety cutoff or a blown fuse or something fuel related. After I arrived I could not find the issue and found the engine light on, with error messages saying check emissions system, check sva, check power steering.

So after getting the Honda dealer to send out a wrecker and bring it to their shop and putting us in a rental we got a call from the service manager yesterday saying that they found metal shavings lodged into the EGR valve and that they removed the shavings and the car is now ready to pick up... Now being that Ive raced motorcycles for 15 years I know metal shavings are a bad sign especially knowing that metal passed through the valves, in the cylinder(s) and out through the exhaust (into the EGR). So my hope here is to get some advise as to what we should try to get the dealer to do now that we have a car with only 800 miles on it and already having a major mechanical problem.
I want a new car since I know that the 1 piece of metal they pulled out is definitely not the only piece floating around in the engine. But I assume they wont just gladly put us in another new car... This is our first BRAND NEW car and it took us alot of time and money to get our credit right so we could make this purchase and we have 3 small kids so mechanical failure is not acceptable for us...so what would you guys advise us to do? We are about to go get the car this morning.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's what happens when you let the wife drive the new car..... Just kidding!!

Check your state's or province's lemon laws and then tell your dealer to make it right....

Believe it or not though new engines do produce metal shavings far more often than we are ever aware of.... It may be that the car is fine and will be fine going forward (in reverse too...) and if not this documented issue and your warranty will be of value to you.

·
H2O in hydrant - K9P out
2,169 Posts
Do not pick up your car. Keep the rental for now and tell them you want a new car.

I'll assume that the dealer will look you straight in the face and tell you that the car is "good as new" now. I would tell them, okay then you shouldn't have any problem giving us a new car for a new car then. If you only put 800 miles on it the car is still "brand new" for them so let them deal with it. Getting a new car won't be easy and may take quite a bit of your time and energy, so be ready for that and don't let it get to you. Stay calm, be polite and slowly work your way up the management ladder until you get to the boss of the bosses who has the power to make this situation right.

If you make it all the way to Honda's upper management (head office) your problem should be solved. If, by some chance, you don't get a new car you could always go the "nasty" route which is to tell Honda Head Office management that you are going to write letters, e-mails and call Car and Driver Magazine, Motor Trend, and all car enthusiast magazines to let them know about this problem and how you were treated. Honda will certainly not want bad publicity and this could force their hand.

Finally, there is a Plan B option. When they explian to you that your car is a-okay and do not want to give you another brand new car, you could give them a second option. Ask them for an exclusive extended warranty on the engine and all parts that are even remotely rekated to this problem. If they are so confident that the car has been fixed perfectly and there is no need for you to change for a new one, then ask them to back it up with a (example) 10 year warranty.

Good luck. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update:

We went to the dealer this morning and they drove the car 5 miles and said that it is was just probably some debris from the machining process at the factory. But I asked if they saw any particles in the oil and they said they checked everything and found no other problems that would indicate damage. So I asked what did they see when they drained the oil..."well sir we didnt drain the oil". So I told him how does he know there is not any other metal in the engine if he didnt even inspect the oil??? I told him I dont even really want the car at this point being that we are about to take it up to Colorado @ 13K ft altitude with no cell reception for thanksgiving with 3 kids under 5 yrs old and mid 30 degree weather...so a breakdown would be completely unacceptable and we would not feel safe driving the car up there after this, so he said he would extend our rental car and put at least 100 miles on the car and keep a computer on it and change the oil and give me a sample... Thats where we are at right now. We should hear from them early next week.

I am reading your feedback and keep it coming, I haven't ever dealt with car problems with a dealer before or trying to get a new car due to an issue like this so I feel like a fish out of water, feedback helps a bunch!

·
Registered
976 Posts
They are completely giving you a line of sh!t. I would demand a new car. That motor needs to be torn down to find the issue.

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide.com App

·
Pickle Hammer Power
4,294,967,287 Posts

·
I Like Grits
9,655 Posts
how will u know the oil sample u receive will actually be from your engine?

i would request the dealer to contact hondatech, they have a direct line. and u want to participate in the conversation.
hondatech might help resolve

·
Registered
1,895 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Request that they send a copy of the oil off for analysis. You can buy a test kit at any truck stop, or Blackstone will send you one for free (the analysis, however, is $25). The report will tell you what wear metals are present, and in what quantities, and if they exceed known-good values.

Blackstone Labs

Chip H.

·
Premium Member
8,336 Posts
I am with everyone else, they are giving you a line of bull!, I would fight until I got a new car!, good luck:)

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
1)I would get a oil sample myself 2)I would not take posession of that vehicle until the results came back(video tape with a time stamp taking the sample) 3) contact Honda and get the ball rolling letting them know this BS is unexceptable.Just my thoughts-

·
I Like Grits
9,655 Posts
Okay, so we bought our new Civic on 10/22/12 with 19 miles on it. This past Thursday as my wife was driving our kids to school, the car started shaking and sputtering and eventually died within a period of 1 minute. It has half a tank of good 93 octane gas so I was baffled. I figured it was a fuel pump safety cutoff or a blown fuse or something fuel related. After I arrived I could not find the issue and found the engine light on, with error messages saying check emissions system, check sva, check power steering.

So after getting the Honda dealer to send out a wrecker and bring it to their shop and putting us in a rental we got a call from the service manager yesterday saying that they found metal shavings lodged into the EGR valve and that they removed the shavings and the car is now ready to pick up... Now being that Ive raced motorcycles for 15 years I know metal shavings are a bad sign especially knowing that metal passed through the valves, in the cylinder(s) and out through the exhaust (into the EGR). So my hope here is to get some advise as to what we should try to get the dealer to do now that we have a car with only 800 miles on it and already having a major mechanical problem.
I want a new car since I know that the 1 piece of metal they pulled out is definitely not the only piece floating around in the engine. But I assume they wont just gladly put us in another new car... This is our first BRAND NEW car and it took us alot of time and money to get our credit right so we could make this purchase and we have 3 small kids so mechanical failure is not acceptable for us...so what would you guys advise us to do? We are about to go get the car this morning.

Thanks in advance.
What is an EGR Valve - What Does My EGR Valve Do - Where is My EGR Valve
What is the EGR valve and what does it do? — Yahoo! Autos

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They are closed Today (Sunday) so I will absolutely contact the service manager first thing tomorrow morning and tell them that I want a time stamped video of the oil being taken from MY civic and sent for analysis. I like that Idea! and I think I will more than likely go in person Monday to collect my sample myself so I can get it tested on my own.

We have already contacted Honda Corporate and made a claim and they are supposed to be supervising this issue...weather they are or not I cant say.

The tech who worked on the car initially took a pic of the debris in the EGR, i asked to see it and it looked like a pea size beat up piece of metal lodged in the actual valve itself and it had it stuck open. I have requested a copy of the pic which they said they will gladely provide, Ill try to post that up here when I get it from the dealer.

Keep the messages coming! Im still going to push for a new car and I WILL NOT take possession of that car. At this point Im ready to get the loan closed out or a new car. Only option unless they show me something that makes me believe this is the ONLY loose piece of metal in the engine and there is no damage (i.e. engine tear down)

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Stay strong, this may be a real pain in the you know what... I feel for you as I would not be able to keep my cool.i kinda had a similar problem with a sport bike back in 1990, it took awhile but I got a brand new bike in the end, but did lose out on 2 months plus summer riding, keep us informed

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

·
Registered
248 Posts
I work at a dealership and can say that everything everyone is telling you here wont help your case.

Make sure to reiterate that you dont feel safe in the car, they will drive it for a few days and if it there is something else wrong they will fix it. you will not get a new car because of an engine problem. If it comes down to that they will put a new motor in your car. The dealership is at the mercy of Honda, the dealership is not going to do anything that Honda isnt going to pay for.

Your best bet is to have them put a 100 miles on the car to verify that its "ok", make sure they document this as well as give you copies of documentation and make sure to be in contact with Honda about it. If any engine issues come up make sure you go back to the same dealership. It also helps if you are a regular customer. Remember that the dealership and the technician loose money on warranty work. It's not your problem but buying a few oil changes, tire rotations and air filters goes along way to keeping them happy... If they are happy they are much more likely to help you or even push through a goodwill repair, etc.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I know this is an old thread but the dealership and or the tech. does not loose money for manufacturer warranty work. That is completely untrue!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Common lemon laws state that 3 return visits for the same reason (mechanically speaking) and you basically get a refund. Have to check your local laws, however.

Sent from da Nexus 7

1 - 20 of 30 Posts