9th Gen Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
I Need A Vacation
13,117 Posts
Who cares about 0-60? How often do you seriously be launching your car? Lack of traction is the issue there. I'd bet the car accelerates like a beast though from a roll - which is when you'll be mashing the gas most of the time from anyway.
When you buy a car like this it is all about the numbers just like being the fastest FWD car to lap the Nurburgring is all about the numbers but that 0-60 time does not impress me at all. I'm guessing most boosted Si's on here can take down the Type R in a 0-60 sprint? My dads stock 09 Infiniti G37X AWD automatic 0-60 time is 5.4sec.
I'm sure it is awesome in twisties and on a roll with the turbo spooled up it will be very quick.

·
Registered
256 Posts
When you buy a car like this it is all about the numbers just like being the fastest FWD car to lap the Nurburgring is all about the numbers but that 0-60 time does not impress me at all. I'm guessing most boosted Si's on here can take down the Type R in a 0-60 sprint? My dads stock 09 Infiniti G37X AWD automatic 0-60 time is 5.4sec.
I'm sure it is awesome in twisties and on a roll with the turbo spooled up it will be very quick.
Yeah but you need to remember that the numbers this car went for are not the 0-60. Look at the last sti, it was slower than the wrx 0-60 because it's six speed required an extra shift over the 5 speed in the wrx.
Regardless, I bet this would easily outrun that G37 in the quarter mile.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Because the infiniti is AWD, it hooks up quick off a hard launch. The civic will just spin the tires. If you want to drag race the civic, get a set of slicks and that time will drop dramatically with tires that will hook up.

I'd be much more interested in the 20-80 times. Bet the civic is much faster than the infiniti then. And that is more usable acceleration range daily driving anyway, because again you aren't going to be launching your car(unless you want to break it).

·
I Need A Vacation
13,117 Posts
Yeah but you need to remember that the numbers this car went for are not the 0-60. Look at the last sti, it was slower than the wrx 0-60 because it's six speed required an extra shift over the 5 speed in the wrx.
Regardless, I bet this would easily outrun that G37 in the quarter mile.
09 G37X AWD 0-60 5.4sec 1/4 mile 13.9sec
09 G37S RWD 0-60 5.0flat 1/4 mile 13.5sec
Do you think a Type R can break 13.5sec 1/4 mile?

·
I Need A Vacation
13,117 Posts
Because the infiniti is AWD, it hooks up quick off a hard launch. The civic will just spin the tires. If you want to drag race the civic, get a set of slicks and that time will drop dramatically with tires that will hook up.

I'd be much more interested in the 20-80 times. Bet the civic is much faster than the infiniti then. And that is more usable acceleration range daily driving anyway, because again you aren't going to be launching your car(unless you want to break it).
Your missing my point. My point is a car produced and sold in 2009 and a sedan nonetheless and costing around the same money or probably less bought new for new will take down the Type R in a 0-60 race, and take it down quite handily mind you, .3 sec is like 1 car length so thats why when I see that 0-60 time I'm not that impressed.

BTW the cars that the Type R is competing against are all RWD or FWD cars so the Type R better get use to being compared to those types of vehicles.

And nobody has really answered my question so a boosted 9thgen Si most likely takes down a Type R in a 0-60 race?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Your missing my point. My point is a car produced and sold in 2009 and a sedan nonetheless and costing around the same money or probably less bought new for new will take down the Type R in a 0-60 race, and take it down quite handily mind you, .3 sec is like 1 car length so thats why when I see that 0-60 time I'm not that impressed.
I am not missing your point. I am explaining to you the limitations of fwd. Doesn't matter how much power a car has if it can't put it to the ground. They should have made it awd to compete directly with the wrx, focus rs and golf R.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,117 Posts
I am not missing your point. I am explaining to you the limitations of fwd. Doesn't matter how much power a car has if it can't put it to the ground. They should have made it awd to compete directly with the wrx, focus rs and golf R.
Again, I don't see what the hype is as a street racer which is where this car will see most of its driving there are so many cars out there that can put up similar or better numbers than the Type R.

And you pretty much nailed it if I was blowing $45K on a sports car it's going to be RWD or at least AWD sorry Honda no way I would spend $40K-$45K on a FWD sports car.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Again, I don't see what the hype is as a street racer which is where this car will see most of its driving there are so many cars out there that can put up similar or better numbers than the Type R.

And you pretty much nailed it if I was blowing $45K on a sports car it's going to be RWD or at least AWD sorry Honda no way I would spend $40K-$45K on a FWD sports car.
I think you guys are over estimating how much a type-R would cost ere it sold here. A direct exchange is not an accurate estimate and Honda knows that $40k for a fwd civic wouldn't fly.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I think you guys are over estimating how much a type-R would cost ere it sold here. A direct exchange is not an accurate estimate and Honda knows that $40k for a fwd civic wouldn't fly.
I don't know.. The focus, golf, impreza and lancer all have variations well into the $40k's. Why can't a civic?
Now I personally won't be buying it but that price tag is not exactly out to lunch(Canadian market)..

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I'm betting low 30's-35k. The current R has the electronic adaptable suspension and prolly some other toys that won't make it to our 10th gen. Plus everyone is still using the current euro R price to convert to US dollars. Then again, I may be wrong.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I don't know.. The focus, golf, impreza and lancer all have variations well into the $40k's. Why can't a civic?
Now I personally won't be buying it but that price tag is not exactly out to lunch(Canadian market)..
Yeah but Honda knows it would also need to add awd to be able to charge that just like the others.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
$40k-$50k for a Civic TypeR? lol. They better only make like 250 of them. :D

For that amount, before a TypeR, I'd buy an Si, build a wide-stance body kit around some 19" wheels, throw on some Brembo brakes, boost it up to 500WHP with a turbo kit and other mods (racing clutch, exhaust, etc.), and have leftovers for a pair of slicks for fun at the track.

Best price range for this car would be between $34k and $40k (depending on options). Even then, I'd consider a STi before a TypeR.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,117 Posts
Once you factor in taxes etc easily upwards of $40K here in Canada especially with the falling CDN dollar.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,117 Posts

For that amount, before a TypeR, I'd buy an Si, build a wide-stance body kit around some 19" wheels, throw on some Brembo brakes, boost it up to 500WHP with a turbo kit and other mods (racing clutch, exhaust, etc.), and have leftovers for a pair of slicks for fun at the track.

Best price range for this car would be between $34k and $40k (depending on options). Even then, I'd consider a STi before a TypeR.
If I was going to blow $40-$45K I'd be looking at a BRZ STI which is confirmed for North America.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Yeah but Honda knows it would also need to add awd to be able to charge that just like the others.
Why do you keep saying "honda knows"? You aren't an insider.

It's like this, my '14 hfp cost me $36k on the road! LOL
So you can bet you ass the type R will be well into the $40k's.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Make sure you check the posters location. There are Canadian posters posting what they feel it will be in Canada. Obviously it will be cheaper in the US like everything else.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I feel sorry for you guys. That's just cruel.

You can send me cash, I'll buy it for you, drive across the border, and then fly back into the States. ;) You pay for tickets and save thousands.

·
Registered
237 Posts
If I was going to blow $40-$45K I'd be looking at a BRZ STI which is confirmed for North America.
Haha still not worth it though. It's confirmed that it's only cosmetics upgrade and no turbo. http://blogs.youwheel.com/2015/05/31/2017-subaru-brz-sti-special-model-information/

"Here is the latest information summary:

1. It will not be called BRZ STI, instead a new name that implies this BRZ special model is tuned by STI;
2. Upgraded/strengthened body construction, and added chassis braces provides better torsional rigidity and ride quality;
3. Other enhancements includes: intake/exhaust, Brembo brakes, body aero kit;
4. Unfortunately the engine will be the same as the standard BRZ, NOT turbocharged, output will be around 210hp;
5. On sale 2016 summer"

:(

·
Registered
256 Posts
Once you factor in taxes etc easily upwards of $40K here in Canada especially with the falling CDN dollar.
For it to be competitive it would need to be max 35k before tax. The car won't sell for sti money, even if it can best one around a track simply because it's fwd. The cost of the current one in Europe IS NOT an indicator of the cost of one that will be sold here. The msrp is all relative depending on the country it is being sold in.

·
Registered
390 Posts
For it to be competitive it would need to be max 35k before tax.
It will cost more. Most likely the Type R will already be fully loaded as a base just like the Si is in Canada.

Now, go check the cost of a loaded GTI, loaded Focus ST and iirc a loaded Mazdaspeed 3 was $36k before tax. They are all more than $35k.. And the ctr blows all those cars away.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts