9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is such a commonly disputed issue i feel that it warrants its own thread with an easy to find/search title. The owners manual on page 225 (atleast on the SI manual, and yes the break in should be the same for any of our civics) clearly states "durring the first 600 miles/1000 km avoid sudden acceleration and full throttle operation as to not damage the engine or powertrain." So to all of you who argue, "break it in like you're giong to be driving it," or "ive never heard of honda ever saying anything about a break in period" turn to 225 of your manual and read. Have a nice day.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App this thread doesnt need a ton of people arguing either. a thread that this very topic got brought up in for some reason was closed the other day. its right there in black and white officially published in a HONDA owners manual for my 2013 civic si sedan. END of story.

Attachments

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,489 Posts
Thank you for that. The mods can now shut down and/or remove about 8 billion posts in 3 million threads. ;)

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
agreed. Im blatantly tired of seeing people argue about it. some people argue their point to the end of the world even if they are wrong. ALSO. i can provide doccumentation when i go back to work monday (i can look for the bulletin) and show people that there IS a special break in oil in all hondas and acuras from the factory that should not be changed out prematurely. tired of hearing about that one too lol. That is a fact, ill provide doccumentation soon. thanks for the appreciation as usual scotty :)

·
Premium Member
8,538 Posts
Closing sounds good to me. Should anyone find evidence from an official Honda source to the contrary please contact one of the mods/admin(s) and we can reopen this thread to let the debate continue.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright. As promised here's the documentation showing that you should keep your factory till engine oil in there until due for your first service. Now a bunch more arguments are invalid. Thanks for reopening d wills... Before this is disputed, these pics are of a service news from 2006 from acuras interactive network... Leave that factory oil in guys. Its not like the olden days where it should be changed early and frequently at the beginning

Attachments

·
I Need A Vacation
13,542 Posts
Alright. As promised here's the documentation showing that you should keep your factory till engine oil in there until due for your first service. Now a bunch more arguments are invalid. Thanks for reopening d wills... Before this is disputed, these pics are of a service news from 2006 from acuras interactive network... Leave that factory oil in guys. Its not like the olden days where it should be changed early and frequently at the beginning

Kinda what I figured but for all those that said otherwise there you go.

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
I was really sweating this thread out when I started reading it. I just drove my new Honda like a sane person that uses a car to go from point A to point B, changed the oil at 5000 miles and damned if it doesn't run fine and not use any oil at 29,000 miles now.

Oh, what kind of oil is the best for a Honda? Just kidding, don't shoot!!!

May this be the last oil thread mankind ever started oh Might One.

Reactions: scottyrocks

·
I know who U R.
7,994 Posts
Does this apply to the R18 EX?

·
I know who U R.
7,994 Posts
Anyone changed the oil at 3000 then used royal purple break in oil for 3000 miles more?Its just that I havent ever gone that 5000 mile interval.BTW shut this thread down its corrupting my reason.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Anyone changed the oil at 3000 then used royal purple break in oil for 3000 miles more?Its just that I havent ever gone that 5000 mile interval.BTW shut this thread down its corrupting my reason.
I changed mine at 5k with royal purple 0w-20. No problems here, at least that I'm aware of. Doesn't eat oil either.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I just drove the car how I always drive, oil change will happen when ever it tells me to do it and it will be with honda oil. It's been proven over and over if you follow Honda's maintenance schedule your car will last 20 years no problem.

·
I know who U R.
7,994 Posts
You are correct ^^^^^

·
Raspy is a bad thing?
4,535 Posts
Same here. No problems with my car, oil levels are fine, and no mechanical issues.
Not yet, but I would think this would be on a more long-term basis. The engine may not have the same lifespan as one that was broken in as per Honda recommendation.

On another note, I wasn't babying mine to say the least. The fun-factor took over pretty much from day one. I didn't Vtec on a daily basis but I can't say that I never did it for the first 600 miles either...

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,489 Posts
1 - 20 of 99 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.