9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i have 2015 Honda Civic LX and just switched over my key FOB with a new flip key off of amazon. Everything works fine except with the fuel/ trunk latch that locks. When i turn to lock or unlock the latch it dosent move at all. But when i go turn my old key its smooth as butter. I thought maybe it was a length issue (giggidy) but when i put the flip key in it dosent hit anything when i go to turn the key. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I don't know -- I see some quite noticeable differences in those two keys in that first picture. Maybe it has to do with the normal wear and tear of using a key over the years, when compared to a new key, but especially in the upper left area of each key. The old one has much more of a grove or cut into the metal than the newer one. And it does seem like the newer one has less length along the shaft (yeah, I know -- LOL) where the groves and notches occur.

I don't know if this is what is causing your issue or not, especially since you're saying the new key starts the engine. Could be the case that the tumbler that starts the car also has 7 years of wear and tear in it from (presumably) starting the car nearly every day and is more forgiving of an imperfect copy of the key, whereas the tumbler that locks the trunk/fuel lever is likely used much less frequently and therefore could be more sensitive to variations in the cutout of the key that is used for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response NightFlyer. I called the dealership that cut the key and they said to bring the key in again and they will re-trace my old key again and re-cut. Hoping this works.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hopefully that will take care of it. It reminds me of a time when I was installing car stereos. I grabbed what I thought was the work-order and keys for the next car to for me to work on, and I was having a bear of a time getting the key to turn the ignition switch to start the car (I think you can probably see where this is going!). It was an older car, so I just figured it was a worn key or ignition switch. After several minutes, I finally got the key to turn and got it started and pulled it into the shop. I got out of the car and my boss asked how I got that car into the shop. I showed him that I had the key, and he said, "No! THAT'S the key!" -- pointing to a completely different work-order and key! No wonder I had so much trouble getting that car started!

I didn't hear anything snap or break while I was starting the car -- I just wiggled the key enough to get it to work. I guess that was one of those times where if someone doesn't tell you something is not possible, then it can be possible!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts