9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi looking at possibly getting a 2012 Civic and thought that I would check this site out to see what others like or don't like about their civics as well as maybe some things to avoid getting b/c they just aren't worth the money. I currently own a 2001 Civic that has 174,000 miles on it which I am looking to replace, it has been a good car but don't feel it is worth investing any more money into to keep it going, lots of maintenance stuff is creeping up. I also own a 2005 Accord EX which I have been very happy with and have not had anything go wrong with it and it has 105,000 however there is this annoying squeak type noise on the drivers side between the two door in the pillar somewhere. I also own a 2008 Toyota Tundra which I have had for 3 years and has 17,000 miles which are mostly highway vacation miles.

So why a Civic, well basically I have been very happy with the one I had in the past and like the build quality of Honda. There are other cars out there that I actually like styling wise but don't think they compare to the quality, I also am looking to get very good gas mileage. My current civic gets about 37-38 mpg and I hope this new civic can get close to that or beat it.

Anyways glad to be here and I do have some questions which I will post in the appropriate sections.

Later,
Todd

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Front License plate bracket

Does the front license plate bracket screw into the front bumper through the bumper or does it attach under the bumper. I would check for myself but I don't own a civic yet and will be ordering one from a dealer in a state that requires front license plates, I live in a state where we don't need them so I will be taking it off and don't want screw holes in the front bumper.

·
Registered
246 Posts
It's mounted from underneath. Even though Texas requires front plates, I haven't had any cops pull me over ever since I removed mine along with the bracket.

I keep the front bracket and plate under my trunk with the spare as an excuse for the cop.
"I'm on my way to have it put on!" :dancingcoolsmiley:
Though that excuse wouldn't work to well in the evening or late night lol

·
Registered
225 Posts
make sure your dealer doesnt screw the bracket into the bumper!! they screwed mine in and i wanted to take it off and i see a hole in the middle of the bumper so it sucks i was pretty angry

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Installing Honda fog light kit

Has anyone purchased the honda civic fog lights and installed them yourself? I saw a youtube video on it and the process does not seem to difficult but am curious from someone here how hard they felt it was.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I did it 3 days ago. And it was about a 6/10 to me on the difficulty scale 10 being most difficult. As long as you have the right tools for this mod it was pretty moderate. How long have you been modding?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Does the front license plate bracket screw into the front bumper through the bumper or does it attach under the bumper.
The front license plate mounting varies through dealership. There is no particular way each one is mounted, so you would only know if you went to the dealership. Like Mitch said, just let them know not to do it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I was going to take mine off, but than realized they just put the bracket into the front bumper...so def tell them not to do that. cuz now i gotta hole in my bumper so i left it on

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I consider myself quite handy. I have done a few mods on my truck and this one does not really look too difficult. the only part that even looks a bit difficult is the part where you replace the lever where you turn the lights on and off.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts

·
Banned
1,339 Posts
There's nothing hard about this project IMO, I'd give it a 4/10 on the difficulty scale. The "hardest" part was cutting the bumper. I suggest using a dremel for this and not the way Honda suggests.

ADExternal said:
That was actually the easiest part. The hardest part I felt was removing the side foot trims, it took a while since I didn't want to break them. If you were going to do this, one of the tool I highly recommend is a clip removal tool. you wouldn't imagine how much easier this was with that tool.

This is what I used Car Door Panel Upholstery Clip & Trim Remover Auto Square Notch Blade Tool NEW | eBay
+1 on the clip removal tool, it works wonders.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
There's nothing hard about this project IMO, I'd give it a 4/10 on the difficulty scale. The "hardest" part was cutting the bumper. I suggest using a dremel for this and not the way Honda suggests.

+1 on the clip removal tool, it works wonders.
Now that you mentioned it Chris.

What non-si model did you get tmann77?

·
Registered
8 Posts
The ex front bumper already have cutouts for fog lights. If you have an Lx you will have to cut out the bupmer and install a bracket to hold the fog lights. I would not recommend this for the weekend mechanic. If you cut out too much the fog lights will not cover the hole and the bumper is pretty much worthless. If you do decide to DIY just cut very cautiously. Everything else ie EZ!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
The ex front bumper already have cutouts for fog lights. If you have an Lx you will have to cut out the bupmer and install a bracket to hold the fog lights. I would not recommend this for the weekend mechanic. If you cut out too much the fog lights will not cover the hole and the bumper is pretty much worthless. If you do decide to DIY just cut very cautiously. Everything else ie EZ!
If he has a coupe then he'll be good no matter what model he has. All coupes are good to go for fog lights in the front bumper. The hardest part for me was the connecter in the kick panel that you have to run the single wire too. Everything else was really easy. Makes it even easier if you have another body to help remove the front bumper too.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
If he has a coupe then he'll be good no matter what model he has. All coupes are good to go for fog lights in the front bumper. The hardest part for me was the connecter in the kick panel that you have to run the single wire too. Everything else was really easy. Makes it even easier if you have another body to help remove the front bumper too.
Exacty what I was thinking too. Did you remove your chair like I did? lol

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I didn't remove the connectors apart like the instructions said. What was the point of doing that? I hope I didnt forget something.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am looking at the EX sedan which has the cutouts already. Haven't bought it yet, wanting to get some info as to what I need the dealer to do vs me being able to do myself. Thanks for all the replies.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts