9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed some new headlights in my 2012 civic si this morning, drove about an hour and a half with them on before going to school. While leaving the parking lot my dash lit up light a rainbow. My ABS, VSA, and power steering lights came on so I drove to an O'reillys and plugged in the code reader. It read back that all of those functions have low voltage. When I went to leave my check engine light came on and I lost throttle control. Any ideas?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well, maybe more current, rather than more voltage, as I would assume that anything designed for most cars would be designed for 12 volts. But I could see how some bulbs would draw more current (amps) than what was designed from the factory. I'm just surprised that such a situation would cause low voltage to all of those other systems without first blowing the headlight fuse (though today's multi-computer equipped cars can be touchy). Did you disconnect the battery or anything else while doing the installation? If so, I would check those connections to make sure they are good and tight.

Additionally, do the warning lights and lack of throttle control only occur with the headlights on? Of course, I realize that once certain warning lights come on, they will usually stay on until reset by a code scanner. But were the headlights on when the warning lights came on? Does the lack of throttle response only occur with the headlights on? Another thought that comes to mind is the ELD. I know that, on my car, switching the headlights on causes the ELD to direct the alternator to put out the higher 14-volt range of voltage. Maybe non-factory spec headlights cause screwy operation with the ELD, causing the low-voltage issues you're experiencing. Again, touchy characteristics of computer-controlled cars.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Highly unlikely your headlights are causing an issue. Did you touch anything during install, like remove the battery to get to the drivers side?
Check your connections and make sure everything is tight. My bet is loose battery cable.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Highly unlikely your headlights are causing an issue. Did you touch anything during install, like remove the battery to get to the drivers side?
Check your connections and make sure everything is tight. My bet is loose battery cable.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Nope battery stayed in, Im taking it to the dealer tomorrow as Ive run out of ideas at this point.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, maybe more current, rather than more voltage, as I would assume that anything designed for most cars would be designed for 12 volts. But I could see how some bulbs would draw more current (amps) than what was designed from the factory. I'm just surprised that such a situation would cause low voltage to all of those other systems without first blowing the headlight fuse (though today's multi-computer equipped cars can be touchy). Did you disconnect the battery or anything else while doing the installation? If so, I would check those connections to make sure they are good and tight.

Additionally, do the warning lights and lack of throttle control only occur with the headlights on? Of course, I realize that once certain warning lights come on, they will usually stay on until reset by a code scanner. But were the headlights on when the warning lights came on? Does the lack of throttle response only occur with the headlights on? Another thought that comes to mind is the ELD. I know that, on my car, switching the headlights on causes the ELD to direct the alternator to put out the higher 14-volt range of voltage. Maybe non-factory spec headlights cause screwy operation with the ELD, causing the low-voltage issues you're experiencing. Again, touchy characteristics of computer-controlled cars.
Everything worked for about 2 hours headlights on, only after my night classes(about 2.5 hours long) did the issues pop up. I put back in my stock headlights just in case and the issue has stayed consistent. I havent checked ground wires but battery has good connections and everything else is working as it should be. Im totally lost at this point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts