9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right now i have the stock every thing in an audio sense
i hate the head unit of it , so if i buy a new head unit, do i need like a converter since its all awkwardly shaped or something(know where i can get one??)
and do i need an adapter of some sort to keep it sync with the screen on my dash. (if so i need help where to purchase that also)
thanks for any help

·
Registered
100 Posts
To change the radio you'll need a couple things. Firstly, you won't be able to see whats going on on the aftermarket radio on your iMid display. Basically, everything on the iMid will work the same, but the radio tab and radio info will not display anything. Second, you'll need a dash kid to properly fit the radio into the factory cavity, a wire harness to adapt the factory wiring to aftermarket, and an antenna adapter to adapt the Honda antenna to work with aftermarket radios. Metra makes all of these parts, dash kit is model number 99-7881G or 95-7881G depending if you want to go DIN or double DIN, 40-HD11 for the antenna, 70-1729 for the wiring, unless your system is a premium audio system from Honda, then you'll need 70-1730.

Also, you'll lose bluetooth functionality if you have it. Its best to get an aftermarket with bluetooth hands free calling and A2DP to have similar features from the factory unit. You'll also need a module to retain steering wheel controls if you have those as well, and you'll also need to make sure whatever radio you pick out has a steering wheel input.

·
Registered
995 Posts
criscotwister70-173070-173070-1730
To change the radio you'll need a couple things. Firstly, you won't be able to see whats going on on the aftermarket radio on your iMid display. Basically, everything on the iMid will work the same, but the radio tab and radio info will not display anything. Second, you'll need a dash kid to properly fit the radio into the factory cavity, a wire harness to adapt the factory wiring to aftermarket, and an antenna adapter to adapt the Honda antenna to work with aftermarket radios. Metra makes all of these parts, dash kit is model number 99-7881G or 95-7881G depending if you want to go DIN or double DIN, 40-HD11 for the antenna, 70-1729 for the wiring, unless your system is a premium audio system from Honda, then you'll need 70-1730.

Also, you'll lose bluetooth functionality if you have it. Its best to get an aftermarket with bluetooth hands free calling and A2DP to have similar features from the factory unit. You'll also need a module to retain steering wheel controls if you have those as well, and you'll also need to make sure whatever radio you pick out has a steering wheel input.
I am finding that many install "kits" online do not sell the 70-730 wiring harness, but include the 70-729. . I will just order the wiring harness separate.

This post was the BEST info I found for the do-it yourself after-market head unit install! Thank you !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts