9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes it's true. After initially stating that a sportier version of the new Civic didn't fit in with Honda's vanilla marketing strategy, inside sources reveal that in fact, such a car is under development.

Following criticism that Honda has abandoned its enthusiast followers in favor of pure mass-market appeal; company president Takanobu Ito's plan to help the brand regain some of the sporting credentials it has lost this past decade, is a glimmer of hope to those who fondly recall the days of NSXs and anything Type R.

Exactly what features this new 'hot' Civic will incorporate remains to be seen, though expect suspension and styling tweaks, standard six-speed manual gearbox and a uniquely tuned four-cylinder engine As to when it will be launched, possibly a couple of years from now, though given that the previous Civic Type R didn't make it North American shores, expect this one to follow the same course, being based on the sportier Euro market model and primarily tailored for an audience across the pond. Pity.

More: New Honda Civic Type R 'Under Development' on AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Was looking forward to this until i saw it most likely be unavailable in the US AGAIN T.T
What a surprise, they for some reason seem to be in eternal confusion on what the US market wants.. but then again, how many people would be willing to pay a premium price for a Civic? Although a lot of us WANT it, would many really spend 30k+ on one? That's the question to which they answer 'no', and frankly I think that is the right answer..

·
Registered
43 Posts
It would be nice to see that Type R in North America thats for sure! I'd pay it so long as its not made of cheap crap... which I'm sure it wouldn't.

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
Yeah, how come we don't ever get any type r's ?
We did...Not a civic type r, but the US did get the older Integra Type R.

·
Registered
312 Posts
We did...Not a civic type r, but the US did get the older Integra Type R.

And I seem to recall reading sales figures - it did not really move..

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Please make a new ITR sports car with duel wishbone honda PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.

Cool they are making a new type r though, cannot wait to see what next gen Rs offer

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Civic Type-R to Get Turbo Engine

First came news that Honda would resurrect the Type-R badge for it’s all-new Civic, and now yet another revelation – the car will be turbocharged. Word of the brand’s first-ever turbo road car comes via Mugen, which is reportedly already hard at work adding upgrades to the new R.

The move to forced induction may draw the ire of some purists, but it’s also what many in the Honda camp have been asking for so that the Civic doesn’t fall behind rivals like the MazdaSpeed3 (as it did in our recent comparison).

While performance is the purpose here, Honda’s hand was forced by increasingly strict emissions regulations and so the new Type-R will use a turbocharged 2.0-liter 4-cylinder. Power output isn’t expected to increase by much, although torque will rise considerably. The usual upgrades will also be included, with custom bodywork, not to mention an upgraded suspension, wheels and tires.

Sadly, news of this development comes out of the UK with Honda reportedly only planning a Type-R version of it’s new European Civic hatchback.
Read the whole story at AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
348 Posts
Nice!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
i like it!

1 - 20 of 200 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.