9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, Thomas from Calgary, Alberta.

Picked up a severely hail damaged 2012 Honda Civic EX sedan this August, 2012.

I know it'll get asked anyways, got it for $15,500 ALL IN (taxes, dealer fees, tire tax, etc...) Canadian dollars.

·
H2O in hydrant - K9P out
2,169 Posts
Wow! That's not an ordinary, run of the mill intro. Welcome fellow Canadian. What's your plan to get the damage fixed? How much you figure that'll run ya? Curious where you bough it . Auction?

There are a couple of guys on here from Cow Town (I'm from Edmonton, but now live in Quebec Ciity). Just type Alberta Into the search bar.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Welcome! Im also from calgary! :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Wow! That's not an ordinary, run of the mill intro. Welcome fellow Canadian. What's your plan to get the damage fixed? How much you figure that'll run ya? Curious where you bough it . Auction?

There are a couple of guys on here from Cow Town (I'm from Edmonton, but now live in Quebec Ciity). Just type Alberta Into the search bar.
My plan, if it works out, is to use Paintless Dent Removal method to push most of the dents out (there're 2 crack paint spots cause by hail hitting edge of panel). With this type of severely, PDR, would most likely not be able to push the dents so that it'll be a "showroom condition" (100% flat in all panels, orange peel texture uniform)... But from there, the minor flaws after using PDR, I'm gonna try to 3M the entire vehicle with a xPel stealth car wrap (it makes the paint look flat)

Cost wise, if this was a vehicle that's owned by a driver and their insurance was paying for it... Not exactly in the "bodyshop" industry myself, but related, but if this was purely auto bodyshop with replacing certain panels, body filler, then repaint; I'd say a good $11,000-$13,000 (and to our American friends who thinks that's a ridulous guess on repair, please remember I live in an oil province/state, trades person labour cost is jacked up)

Because I bought from a brand new dealership, my purchase price already reflects the damage, plus the hail damage status will be regristered against the VIN till it's fixed. (i.e. on carfax/carproof)

So I'm basically putting some sweat equity using PDR method, then clear bra 3M wrap the whole thing. ($2,000 in 3M my local source quoted)

·
Hola
3,746 Posts
My plan, if it works out, is to use Paintless Dent Removal method to push most of the dents out (there're 2 crack paint spots cause by hail hitting edge of panel). With this type of severely, PDR, would most likely not be able to push the dents so that it'll be a "showroom condition" (100% flat in all panels, orange peel texture uniform)... But from there, the minor flaws after using PDR, I'm gonna try to 3M the entire vehicle with a xPel stealth car wrap (it makes the paint look flat)
Sounds awesome, Congratz on the ride, and welcome to the forum

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow. You the man with da plan. Good idea to go paintless removal. Will be very curious to see when all is said an done. Make sure to post pics.
I got started fixing the hail on this White Civic EX... http://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/build-section/12197-project-hailboy-2012-ex-sedan-hail-damage-repair.html

So this white car is at the house all torn apart (fixing hail, and collision/waiting on parts being ordered then painting)

Here's where it kinda got hectic, so ummmmmmm, I'm driving around this week (in my truck, since this Civic is in hospital mode) and just for the hell of it I called the sales guy from the Honda dealership, asked him if he still had more of these severly hail damaged Honda's (in general, I wouldn't mind a Pilot actually)

He says there was 2 Civic Sedan Si's

I asked him how much, he kinda hummmed and ahhhhed... then asked me to throw him a figure (I'm rolling eyes in truck, wtf buddy)... So I threw out some lowball, he came back, etc... etc... Then I made one final attempt, then we hung up... then he calls me back after talking to his "manager"... So from my final lowballed figure, the dealer went up a bit, BUT they ended up still firesale these to me.

Then the sales guy came to deliver these 2 Si's to my shop... Seeing it in person, that's when I realized wtf did I get myself into, again. (with the hail damage repairing) :(

But these Si's sure are cool

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, u bought 3 Civics. Awesome! How much is your final offers?
Same price as the EX (for the two Si's) butttttttt, I had to buy 'em both, lol

So tempted to switch into one of the Si's... but I solely bought the Si's for repair, then sell to dealer's auction for profit... So kinda scared I'll like it too much.

·
Banned
8,333 Posts
haha that's so awesome! I might suggest getting carbon hoods on the Si's. they are cheaper than the OEM hoods and will looks amaziinggggg :D

Welcome to the Forum tho :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Really taking a look ...Not that bad. Minor fixes to have a killer ride. Ali is right about the carbon fiber hoods. There is even a product by 3M that is a wrap that you can add to any hood, trunk, or roof. i think we charge a grand for all three? My Si had the wrap on the hood and it actually saved my backside and wallet when we had the hail storm back in the late fall

1 - 16 of 16 Posts