Is an oil spray worth it?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

New member/searching for maintenance advice

963 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  wishihadans2k 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I just traded in my 2015 LX for a black 2013 Si sedan! I'm excited af to pick it up this weekend, but also concerned about rust, as the Si has 125000kms on it in a city that gets tons of snow.
The previous owner maintained the car like a dream, but they didn't get it oil sprayed or anything similar, and the engine bay has a bit of corrosion/rust. I haven't looked closely at the underbody (which I feel really dumb about) so I'm not sure what shape it's in. I'm not concerned that this car will rot out in a year, but I plan on keeping it for the next 5 years and I really want to jump on any current issues so that I can enjoy it for as long as possible.

Should I be concerned about rust? I live in southern Ontario and we usually don't get a lot of snow, but it varies from year to year ofc. I'm looking into getting it oil sprayed as well, but I've heard mixed reviews about whether it's actually necessary for modern cars.

Also considering swapping my front bumper to a coupe, I've been reading threads on here and it seems fairly straightforward :) I'm super excited for this car

#2 ·
I can't speak on how badly our chassis is prone to rust, but undercoating to prevent rust in a place with a lot of snow or salt if/when it does snow is never a bad idea.

I just got in a coupe bumper for my 2012 Si sedan yesterday, it is straightforward. I'd recommend replacing the lower headlight bracket that the bumper clips into if it's rusty, though. Nobody likes a saggy bumper 😂

#9 ·
I went with an aftermarket OEM style polyurethane coupe bumper from eBay. Chose the coupe because of the larger lower opening for an intercooler sometime down the road. I'll be making a build thread here soon, I'm wrapping the car in Avery Dennison Magnetic Burst Blue as well.
That sounds sweet, make sure to include pictures!

#3 ·
you can oil/wax coat the car. i personally have not as i have an electronic corrosion resister module that seems to be doing good. (wpg manitoba here).
my parents had a place called ‘Ming’ wax/oil their new ram and journey r/t. they coat everything, even door inners. it really is amazing, and after 5 years, not a spec of rust. $200 per car i wanna say, but totally worth it if you plan to keep it.
winter typically isnt the rust culprit, it’s the slushy spring and ice melters that really eff isssht up.

#4 ·
you can oil/wax coat the car. i personally have not as i have an electronic corrosion resister module that seems to be doing good. (wpg manitoba here).
my parents had a place called ‘Ming’ wax/oil their new ram and journey r/t. they coat everything, even door inners. it really is amazing, and after 5 years, not a spec of rust. $200 per car i wanna say, but totally worth it if you plan to keep it.
winter typically isnt the rust culprit, it’s the slushy spring and ice melters that really eff isssht up.
Yeah my sister had my current car oil sprayed (she owned it before me), and it doesn't have a spot of rust at 135000kms after being winter driven in harsh winters. I've just heard some very strong opinions against it which makes me doubt whether it's actually necessary. Why did you choose to go with the corrosion module?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.