9th Gen Civic Forum banner

121 - 131 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
That picture of the civic interior looks fantastic in that angle!
Yeah, it definitely does look great in that picture.

That aside, I'm still facing issues with the driver's side window having an air leak. I don't feel like going back to see my last post, so I might be repeating myself, but I am 99% certain that there is a "leak" when the windwo is rolled all the way up somewhere within the door panel, because the wind/road noise (especially while windy or rainy) is muffled, but quite pronounced. When the window goes down a fraction (so its still sealed), the noise completely goes away. Not trying to beat a dead horse (I'll beat my critics to the punch on this), but it gets the word out there and has helped solve issues in the past from other members who've experienced the same thing.

They've tried fixing it several times to no avail, and frankly, I'm about to demand a new door, and get Honda Customer Care involved, if necessary. Between the updates to the 2013 and the fact that this is practically a brand new car, this is an unacceptable flaw no new car should have. I've spoken to a few other members that have this issue as well (it's strange though, it did not have this issue when I bought it new, nor did my now-totalled first 2012 Si, at all), so I know its legitimate.

I can live with the rest of the car's 'uniqueness', but this is not one of them. I have VERY sensitive hearing and its loud enough on the highway to me as it is, let alone with a leaky driver's side door.

I'll let you guys know what ends up happening if they figure it out. Sometimes it takes a visit from someone from American Honda to get stuff done at a dealership.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Another point that is worth mentioning is that the OEM tires on the EX and EX-L, the Continental procontacts, are absolutely hideous in terms of road noise. Replacing these tires with a better, quieter tire will eliminate the tire noise that people complain about, especially on the highway.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

While I can't speak for anyone else's Civic, I can tell you that the two 2012 Si's I've owned have been significantly louder than the 2006 Si and 2010 EX-L sedan that they replaced. This is a very hard metric to measure without expensive equipment, given people's sensitivity to sound (and pitch/frequency) vary pretty widely: I can hear a canary fart in San Diego all the way from Minneapolis, so I acknowledge that my sensitivity might be a bit exaggerated compared to someone who isn't as sensitive to sound (or is more inclined to turn the radio up).

But I WILL agree with you for sure about the tires. I put Blizzaks on for winter, and the road noise was way less. The stock tires on the Si are garbage - really chatty and near useless in inclement weather. The Blizzaks have been GREAT.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I test drove a 2012 Civic Si and had EX-L as my loaner car while waiting for the delivery of my 2013 Civic Si. The 2012's are noticeably louder than my 2013 Civic. My car is as quiet as my old CT200h that I traded-in.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Update on the air leak coming from my driver's side door when the window's "completely" sealed.

I brought it to the dealership today. They've attempted to repair it twice and can't figure out what the problem is, but acknowledge that other models are not doing it (nor did my first 2012 Si, or this one during the first few months of ownership). However, they found a "Product Characteristic Sheet" on Wind Noise and told me it was "normal". It reads:

Product Characteristic Sheet
Wind Noise

Customer's Concern: "As I'm driving down the road, I hear the wind blowing in around my door (or window); closing the window tighter doesn't help.

What's happening and why:
The noise could be caused by normal turbulence created when air flowing around the vehicle no longer smoothly follows the body contours. Exactly when the noise will occur depends upon how windy it is outside (speed and direction of the wind), speed of the vehicle, and the shape and size of specific parts of the vehicle body, such as the door mirror, windshield pillar, and windshield molding.

Another possible source of wind noise could be acessroies such as roof racks, spoilers, and nose masks. Honda accessories of those types are designed to minimize wind noise, but aftermarket accessories of those types (or bug deflectors or door edge guards) may cause more than an acceptable noise level.

The noise could also be caused by an air leak; air flowing past or through an opening to the interior. Most newer Honda vehicles are so well insulated from engine and road noise that even a small air leak, unnoticeable in previous models, can cause a very irritating wind noise (side note from mno86: this is probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, given the complaints of road noise on the 2012 models. Also, if they were well insulated, they wouldn't have road noise or leaks, would they?)

I am not content with this answer, as my first 2012 Si did not do this, nor did this one in the first several months of ownership. It has never been in an accident or had any work done on that side that would have impacted this to cause it to occur. Other models on the lot have been tested and confirmed to be silent (in this regard).

I called American Honda Customer Service and explained the situation. They are going to assign me a case manager to go over this. I hate to take it this far, but the car is loud enough to me as it is, and this is definitely an air leak within the door panel. I will not accept this on a car I paid $22,000 for, when the beat up Nissan Versa rental I once had was infinitely quieter, and retailed for $10,000 less.

I explained that I was not inclined to believe it to be normal, as I am able to make the noise go away by fussing with the window down button, which seals it - that is not normal. She agreed.

I'm curious to see where this will go. If they have to replace the entire door, I expect them to - this level of quality is unacceptable. I mentioned to her that I was very disappointed by the updates to the 2013 Civic as the owner of a 2012 and feel like we were given a sub-par vehicle by Honda's normally high standards, as I truly believe resale is going to be impacted. She said that they've had numerous complaints stating the same thing (despite what Mr. Mendel has said on the matter), but they will not be offering compensation (and honestly, what could they offer? They already admit they dropped the ball, and Japanese companies rarely admit wrongdoing, so I guess that's the best we'll get out of it.)

I'll update as necessary. Cue the haters, but I felt this was pertinent information for the internet, in case someone else is experiencing the same issue (and I know a few others that are).

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
Update on the air leak coming from my driver's side door when the window's "completely" sealed.

I brought it to the dealership today. They've attempted to repair it twice and can't figure out what the problem is, but acknowledge that other models are not doing it (nor did my first 2012 Si, or this one during the first few months of ownership). However, they found a "Product Characteristic Sheet" on Wind Noise and told me it was "normal". It reads:

Product Characteristic Sheet
Wind Noise

Customer's Concern: "As I'm driving down the road, I hear the wind blowing in around my door (or window); closing the window tighter doesn't help.

What's happening and why:
The noise could be caused by normal turbulence created when air flowing around the vehicle no longer smoothly follows the body contours. Exactly when the noise will occur depends upon how windy it is outside (speed and direction of the wind), speed of the vehicle, and the shape and size of specific parts of the vehicle body, such as the door mirror, windshield pillar, and windshield molding.

Another possible source of wind noise could be acessroies such as roof racks, spoilers, and nose masks. Honda accessories of those types are designed to minimize wind noise, but aftermarket accessories of those types (or bug deflectors or door edge guards) may cause more than an acceptable noise level.

The noise could also be caused by an air leak; air flowing past or through an opening to the interior. Most newer Honda vehicles are so well insulated from engine and road noise that even a small air leak, unnoticeable in previous models, can cause a very irritating wind noise (side note from mno86: this is probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, given the complaints of road noise on the 2012 models. Also, if they were well insulated, they wouldn't have road noise or leaks, would they?)

I am not content with this answer, as my first 2012 Si did not do this, nor did this one in the first several months of ownership. It has never been in an accident or had any work done on that side that would have impacted this to cause it to occur. Other models on the lot have been tested and confirmed to be silent (in this regard).

I called American Honda Customer Service and explained the situation. They are going to assign me a case manager to go over this. I hate to take it this far, but the car is loud enough to me as it is, and this is definitely an air leak within the door panel. I will not accept this on a car I paid $22,000 for, when the beat up Nissan Versa rental I once had was infinitely quieter, and retailed for $10,000 less.

I explained that I was not inclined to believe it to be normal, as I am able to make the noise go away by fussing with the window down button, which seals it - that is not normal. She agreed.

I'm curious to see where this will go. If they have to replace the entire door, I expect them to - this level of quality is unacceptable. I mentioned to her that I was very disappointed by the updates to the 2013 Civic as the owner of a 2012 and feel like we were given a sub-par vehicle by Honda's normally high standards, as I truly believe resale is going to be impacted. She said that they've had numerous complaints stating the same thing (despite what Mr. Mendel has said on the matter), but they will not be offering compensation (and honestly, what could they offer? They already admit they dropped the ball, and Japanese companies rarely admit wrongdoing, so I guess that's the best we'll get out of it.)

I'll update as necessary. Cue the haters, but I felt this was pertinent information for the internet, in case someone else is experiencing the same issue (and I know a few others that are).

Do you drive in silence?
I think your tuning in to the leak too much.get window visors problem solved.oh and your confusing sound proofing with the car beign well sealed.
they are very well sealed but not so good on the soundproof but its not a boat of a Mercedes either.
Should of bought a BMW or Mercedes.
Oh yeah you may want to see if your car is "truely" Japanese or Canadian.made a difference.
Your window alignment could be at fault.
Oh yeah and to ask for a new door that's just silly.there goes your resale value.no longer vin stamped.if you go the new door route I hope you bought gap.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Do you drive in silence?
I think your tuning in to the leak too much.get window visors problem solved.oh and your confusing sound proofing with the car beign well sealed.
they are very well sealed but not so good on the soundproof but its not a boat of a Mercedes either.
Should of bought a BMW or Mercedes.
Oh yeah you may want to see if your car is "truely" Japanese or Canadian.made a difference.
Your window alignment could be at fault.
Oh yeah and to ask for a new door that's just silly.there goes your resale value.no longer vin stamped.if you go the new door route I hope you bought gap.

I don't drive in silence. But with all due respect, the people who go on here and tell me "mine is quiet, it must just be you." really bother me (not that you're accusing me of that, I'm just sharing). This is a legitimate leak, and it has been heard and verified by several technicians, a service manager, myself, and my friends and family. It did not do it before. So I ask those of you who offer responses such as that to be respectful that just because yours is quiet does NOT mean that mine (or others) is.

I don't expect Lexus level quiet on a Honda Civic, but I do expect it to be properly sealed. While I think the wind noise is excessive in the 2012 models period, its not that big of a deal, and that's just my personal opinion. An air leak on top of that, however - not gonna fly. The Si's are only made/assembled in Canada, to my understanding, and that is where both of mine were made.

I'm pretty sure they checked the window alignment and the track to verify nothing got in it, and it didn't help. They also replaced the 'seals' along the door trim. The fact is, I think its coming from within the door panel, because while its loud, its muffled slightly, and its definitely not coming from the top of the window.

And that's a good point about the door - I hadn't thought of that. I'll have to reconsider that approach lol.

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
I don't drive in silence. But with all due respect, the people who go on here and tell me "mine is quiet, it must just be you." really bother me (not that you're accusing me of that, I'm just sharing). This is a legitimate leak, and it has been heard and verified by several technicians, a service manager, myself, and my friends and family. It did not do it before. So I ask those of you who offer responses such as that to be respectful that just because yours is quiet does NOT mean that mine (or others) is.

I don't expect Lexus level quiet on a Honda Civic, but I do expect it to be properly sealed. While I think the wind noise is excessive in the 2012 models period, its not that big of a deal, and that's just my personal opinion. An air leak on top of that, however - not gonna fly. The Si's are only made/assembled in Canada, to my understanding, and that is where both of mine were made.

I'm pretty sure they checked the window alignment and the track to verify nothing got in it, and it didn't help. They also replaced the 'seals' along the door trim. The fact is, I think its coming from within the door panel, because while its loud, its muffled slightly, and its definitely not coming from the top of the window.

And that's a good point about the door - I hadn't thought of that. I'll have to reconsider that approach lol.
Respect noted,not saying its you either.
I know damn well these cars in cab are loud as hell between the tires and the little amount of sound deadening was noted when I bough it.but its an si.always been loud.
Also there are real Japanese built si's floating around.
Try this if you feel its in the door itself find the instructions to remove the panel yourself and drive around with it off and try and pin point the sound if its in the door paneling.
Not saying it doesn't exist either it very well can be not a single automotive company in the world that has a 100% target ratio in every department.that would define perfection.
Try that and go from there.I wouldn't be surprised if its not even the door.what about the mirror seal? Maybe leaking there never know.what leads me to that is if they replaced all Window surroundings chances are its not near the window but leaking else where and the noise you hear comes from around the window area even though its not leaking from there totally possible.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,089 Posts
Have you thought about when it began and if there is anything, anything that you remember happening or changing just prior to the commencement of the leak noise?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I can't pinpoint the time that it started precisely, but when I took it in for its first oil change, I asked them about it according to my service records, and that's when the repairs started. I looked back through all the paperwork to see if there was ever any work done on that door or window or anything that would lead there to maybe cause this and there's nothing. It really is the strangest thing.

If they can't fix it, it is what it is. I have a way of making the sound go away, its just kind of a pain in the butt to do, but its better than spending days at the dealership waiting for it to be fixed when it might never get fixed (or if it it does, it causes other problems). And we definitely don't want that. Hah.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Relative to the floorpan, I noted a possible lack of sound deadening in the car this morning. We had over 17" of snow on Sunday and the city was shut down on Monday as a result. The street in front of our house is a rutted single lane. Last night I drove my daughter's 2006 Impreza, which dragged bottom and I thought nothing of at the time. This morning, I drove my Civic to work over the same route, dragging bottom in places. The difference is that the Civic sounded much tinnier, like there was no significant sound deadening in floorpan. Can anyone confirm the layers in the 2012 Civic Si's floorpan? The sound I heard implied that there was no sound deadening material, just tin and a thin layer of carpet, maybe some thin padding.

121 - 131 of 131 Posts