9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I'm new to Civics but not to Hondas. My 2012 Si Sedan (alabaster silver) is my 4th new Honda since 2002. I still have 2 of the other three (02 CR-V and 09 Odyssey). But I traded my 2009 Fit in for the Si. I got it in May 09 with the previous summer's high gas prices still on my mind. But it was just too dog slow for me. My other car passion for a while was SAABs and I really missed a good blast down the highway every now and then. I took my Fit in for an a/c issue other day and the high cost of the repair gave me the excuse I needed to pull the trigger on something new. I had been thinking of buying something really fast like a Mustang or Camaro but my inner cheapskate and Honda loyalist came out in me and I gave the Si a test drive.

Long story short, I LOVE this car! It's only the second 2012 Si my dealer has carried and the first sedan w/ nav. I don't care what anyone says about the interior, I think it's amazing. I'm a bit of a techie so I'm just eating it up. And the power and handling of this car are great for something costing in the low $20's. I've always bought my Hondas b/c of their reliability and because they seemed to make sense for my needs. This is the first one that really connects with me on an excitement level. What a fun car!

·
Pickle Hammer Power
4,294,967,287 Posts
congrats on new ride and welcome to the site

·
August 2012 FB2/FG3 ROTM Winner
2,264 Posts
congrats! welcome to 9thgencivic

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. This car impresses me more every time I drive it. Maybe it's just b/c I'm coming from a Fit but the Civic, even in Si trim seems so much more refined. And the seats! Best seats since the Recaros in my 1982 320i aka my first car.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Too funny! Yeah, I'm beginning to think the Fit was only good from an upfront cost standpoint. Hills the Fit would drop two gears on the Si takes in 6th w/ creamy smoothness. We do have hills up here in north LA!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Too funny! Yeah, I'm beginning to think the Fit was only good from an upfront cost standpoint. Hills the Fit would drop two gears on the Si takes in 6th w/ creamy smoothness. We do have hills up here in north LA!
I liked the Fit and I would have kept it if I could afford two notes, but I love my Si and it feels much safer on the highway. I will be honest the only time I enjoy elevation changes are on the very few tracks I have traveled to. My mom has a place in Toledo bend I frequent, but the locals are much better drivers than here down south.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Exactly. The Civic feels like a much more secure platform than the Fit. Crosswinds in it were a b*tch! I was all over the place on what I wanted. I'd kinda thought about grabbing another 90's era 900 turbo just for a fun car and keeping the Fit but the wifey said 3 cars are enough! Thanks to my down payment, my Fit note was a non-issue ($172)! So then it was just muscle car or some sort of entry level Euro. But my inner cheapskate and common sense caught up with me when I saw I could grab a top o' the line Si sedan (the nav is awesome!) by just tacking a couple hundred bucks on my car note. It was too painless and I'm still getting over 30 mpg!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I've made some Fit owners mad...

I mentioned in my intro tread a week ago that I was moving to my new Si from a Fit. The difference is so drastic I've been more than a little enthusiastic about signing the 9th gen Civic's praises vs the Fit. In response, I've gotten more than 1 indignant reply from Fit owners, telling me I've lost my mind to enjoy such a blah car as the 9th gen Civic. Oh and the new Si is horrible, too, everyone knows that.

I realize the Fit wins a lot of comparos and is on the C&D ten best list and yada, yada, yada...but I just don't think its a great commuter car at all. Noise level is high, even by Honda standards. Steering is a little too jittery at highway speeds. The car is shaped like such a brick that it's aerodynamics are relatively awful compared to the Civic. It's hard to do anything quickly in the Fit as it's 108 hp and 106 lb/ft of torque are not conductive to going anywhere at any fast pace. And I never really saw anything inside my Fit that ranked its interior higher than the Civic's... I'll miss the cargo space in the Fit but that's all. I have an Odyssey and a CR-V as well so I'm not too concerned about it.

But anyway. Just had to share...

·
Registered
903 Posts
Lol... Welcome to 9thgen..... I was going to buy a Fit.....but 2.4L engine sounds better..muahahahah....

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket from At&t...4G LTE FTMFW!!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
To me a fit is a mini SUV. It gobbles up items with its trunk space like nobodies business. The Si a different beast al together and each has and serves its own purpose. I still own my Honda Fit and drive it when I'm no a long trip and want to save some gas. The Si serves as my little go cart that my former mustang served. I use it as a DD now and the gas saving differences between the two are kinda huge. The Fit gets me around 35-38 MPG and i use unleaded regular whereas the Si drink premium gas and gets around 26-28 mpg. Thats about a 10MPG difference.

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,763 Posts
^ That's too bad. Glad you're here. Opinions are like buttholes - everyone has got one and they all stink.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ah see except for the actual premium grade price difference, my mpg is similar. My route to work includes some hills. The Fit really strained in situations the Si handles w no problem in 6th. I could get up toward 40 if I really tried. But in day to day real life driving, little difference...

And the ability to light up that 2.4 when I need it...Priceless!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Don't believe all the negative press about the 9th gen civic si. there is some kind of smear campaign going on in the press and i think you can probably tell that most if not all the forum members really enjoy their cars. i read a MSN now article tonight about IHSS safety top pics and there was a picture of a Fiat 500 and first car listed was fiat 500 and first paragraph said qualifications to be top safety pick was getting good in every of 4 categories. i went and checked the fiat 500 and it got marginal(bad) ratings and us news reports say bad ratings...so my point is the media is out to sell cars and they get paid to sell you cars .not to report fair. Check out the Si you will love it.

·
Registered
641 Posts
lol a fit? really? I've never driven one but just looking at them they remind me of like hondas equivalent to a prius! haha Hope you are enjoying your Si. I know I love mine.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
lol a fit? really? I've never driven one but just looking at them they remind me of like hondas equivalent to a prius! haha Hope you are enjoying your Si. I know I love mine.
Yeah, well, it was our first foray into being a 3 car family so I was nervous about carrying 2 car notes (we'd bought our Odyssey a couple months before) plus the added insurance. Otherwise, I'd actually been looking into an Insight. But this was when they first came out and before all the negative press deflated their dealer markup. I commute 120+ miles a day so fuel economy is always on my mind. This is why I came back to Honda again this time. I was seriously cross-shopping the American muscle cars but just was hesitant to pull the trigger. With the Si, I still get a decent amount of performance (a gillion times more than the Fit!) and stayed fairly cheap with both the purchase price and the fuel economy down the road.

Regarding the negative press, I could care less. I like Hondas and know what to expect. The interior is on par w/ every Honda I've owned save the Odyssey. And this whining about the performance and the engine is just silly. For years everyone complained about having to rev the Si up so high to get any power. They said the same thing about the S2000. Now Honda doles out some useable midrange power and there's just more complaining... My car is not a toy and I could care less what the redline is. The 2.4l is great in traffic and incredibly quite at 3k rpms on the interstate. That's just what I need.

·
H2O in hydrant - K9P out
2,169 Posts
Uuuuuhhhhhhh.......? How can you possibly compare the two?
That would be like driving your Si and then buying a top notch Mercedes or BMW and then coming back to the 9th Gen Civic site and telling everyone that your new car is better. It stands to reason that a few people might get annoyed.

·
May 2012 K24Z7 ROTM Winner
405 Posts
Uuuuuhhhhhhh.......? How can you possibly compare the two?
That would be like driving your Si and then buying a top notch Mercedes or BMW and then coming back to the 9th Gen Civic site and telling everyone that your new car is better. It stands to reason that a few people might get annoyed.
good point, that might tick me off if I was a fit owner :)

Enjoy the Si! all things considered I think you'll be able to deal with the less cargo space.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts