9th Gen Civic Forum banner

New speakers sound like poo

6K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  scottyrocks 
#1 · (Edited)
SO.... I (naively) took a friends advice, and he helped me install these 4 new Kenwood KFC-X173 2-way 6.5"speakers for the front and rear:

KENWOOD KFC-X173 2-WAY 6.5" CAR SPEAKERS SYSTEM BRAND NEW / FULL WARRANTY /

While I'm grateful for the attempted help, my friend obviously didn't know much about sound systems. After realizing that my sound quality had decreased tremendously, I took a look on here and realized that the cause of the problem is that they are not being powered correctly.

PLEASE HELP ME FIX IT. Do I just buy a 4ch amp and have a shop install it? Do I need a bypass kit from mercman? Do I scrap the whole project and reinstall the stock speakers? That would be super depressing.

(Edit: The reason why they sound bad is because I "installed coaxials in a component location for which the factory split the signal. [My] coaxials are no good here") Read below from EffBee

(Edit: 2012 Civic EX Sedan)

#2 ·
First I would double check the polarity of the speakers (+ to positive, - to negative) if they are wired backwards they could be "phasing out" and could sound weird or not as loud.

They are only going to sound as loud as the stock speakers anyways unless they have a higher DB rating or are powered by an aftermarket amp.

#11 · (Edited)
Yes, Yes, Yes. I listen to electronic music mostly. Now that I think about it, I might be able to live with the stock speakers and a sub. Probably a lot cheaper option eh? Mostly just want some more clarity and a good sounding bass.

I had originally thought that by replacing the stock speakers, I could increase the clarity and bass, and I wouldn't need a sub.

#17 ·
I'll add throughout the day.

But first and foremost
Regardless of amplified option you'll need to set aside

100$ of the budget
For the power kit.
Door baffles
Extra knick knacks for the install
Such as connectors and wire and what not.

Next I'll list vocal and low driver options and next steps.
As well as amp choices.
Unless tony beats me to it.either or
I'll try and aim for that 500$

#20 ·
Thanks EffBee. That's kind of an upper limit though. if I can get something that sounds a lot better than stock for 3 or 400, then I would prefer that. Again, I don't know what is necessary to upgrade the system (even just outlining this will help). If it's not possible to upgrade the system by a significant amount with $500 or less, then I'll just reinstall the stock speakers.

#24 ·
Coming back to the forum after a few years, because I just can't stand the stock audio any more. I posted this back then to try to understand the mistake I made installing coaxial speakers when i should have bought component.

Almost 3 years later, I still know pretty much nothing about audio and electrical, but am determined to figure out how to fix up my system without spending a ridiculous amount of money.

Does anyone have any good websites or resources that I can turn to so that I can learn how to wire up a new system? I'm still fine buying what was suggested in that original post. Would I need a new head unit in that case?

2012 civic EX sedan

#26 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.