9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'm a new '12 owner and love the car. Between my wife and I we've had an '01 Civic EX, '07 CRV, an '07 Ridgeline RTS and now my '12 Civic EX-L/Nav.

I traded in my Ridgeline for better gas mileage and I have nothing but great things to say about the Ridge. So far I'm impressed with the Civic and disagree with some of the 'professional' reviews of the car. Yes, I looked at the Focus, Jetta, et. al, but you know what you're getting with a Honda. Reliability! I'm fortunate enough to have a great local dealer so that made the decision to get into another Honda an easy one.

~Steve

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I'm a new '12 owner and love the car. Between my wife and I we've had an '01 Civic EX, '07 CRV, an '07 Ridgeline RTS and now my '12 Civic EX-L/Nav.

I traded in my Ridgeline for better gas mileage and I have nothing but great things to say about the Ridge. So far I'm impressed with the Civic and disagree with some of the 'professional' reviews of the car. Yes, I looked at the Focus, Jetta, et. al, but you know what you're getting with a Honda. Reliability! I'm fortunate enough to have a great local dealer so that made the decision to get into another Honda an easy one.

~Steve

Yes, Ford is already having problems with that new Dual Clutch transmission, and VW and reliability are polar opposites.

I really like the Ridgeline. I've never owned a truck, but if I did, it would be a Ridgeline because it drives like a car, but works like a truck.

·
Registered
717 Posts
welcome

·
Registered
214 Posts
lol the ridgeline is not a truck, its a tonka toy! its a sad attempt at a truck that failed.....sorry honda, stick with what you know.....cars!
Talon,
I respectfully disagree. I own a 2005, extended cab 4-WD Tundra. This one has a 5-sp auto and 282 hp. It IS fast and a great truck! I use it as a truck: live in the country, hunt bear, turkey, and deer. It gets rough usage and does great. But I have friends who have Ridgelines, who use them similarly and they hold up well. They are more than Pilots with a bed. It is possible that a Raptor could outrun the Ridgeline but surely not the Tundra:).
I saw a Civic like the one mentioned at a local dealer(white EX-L/Nav). What a beautiful, practical car!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
High RPM, Redline, leather, dash, wax...

Hi Everyone,

Got a few questions for the board and please excuse the novice questions...

I'm new to a 'small' engine and that of the 1.8L, feel that at times I need to push the car, but a bit timid in doing so. I know the redline is 6700 RPMs. What does that mean? Can I push the car to that point without fear of breaking something? I've not pushed the car over 4000 at this point and I'm afraid to do much more. How robust are these engines? Would I stress the engine to the point of shortening its life, components, etc?

Any recommendations on leather, dash and wax treatments, frequency, do's and don'ts? Best brands, etc?

Thank you!

~Steve

·
Banned
251 Posts
I would have no problem driving near the redline? Honda engines are in general very robust and meant to be driven. You can't have any fun with these engines if you never venture above 4k....

·
Registered
794 Posts
Go ahead, drive on. The redline is just telling you "don't go past this point." that's it, although it's more like "you -shouldn't- go past this point." If they didn't want you going up there then they wouldn't make you able to go up there. The car is meant to be driven anywhere under that line. But try not to drive too hard until you pass your break-in period, which is what, 600 miles?

·
Registered
201 Posts
You can push the r18. My 8th gen was driven hard and had no problems. I drive my 9th gen the same way. Honda makes great motors no reason to baby them.

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
Go ahead and drive it like you stole it. You ain't gonna hurt it.
Yet...lol...

They're good cars so it'll last you quite some long time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts