9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,
I am new so I have some really basic questions. I currently own a 2012 taffeta white civic. It isn't driven often.. maybe twice a week... and it is parked outdoors. I only wash it once a month... (I live in an apartment).

It was washed recently and had to go through the touch-less wash "twice".. i had to use 5 microfiber cloths to wipe off the "stubborn winter yellow grime" near the bottom panels of the doors....
Since it is winter and -10 or so... it is too cold to use wax products etc...

should I wait until spring?

I am new to this so should i do the following on an odd warm day during winter:

1) wash car
2) microfiber dry it
3) claybar + detailer
4) rubbing compound on any scuffs
5) ??
6) wax

Where does the polish/sealent step go?

And what products do you guys recommend? I have some meguiars UQW laying around...

thanks a ton

·
Car Care Ambassador
1,357 Posts
hi all,
I am new so I have some really basic questions. I currently own a 2012 taffeta white civic. It isn't driven often.. maybe twice a week... and it is parked outdoors. I only wash it once a month... (I live in an apartment).

It was washed recently and had to go through the touch-less wash "twice".. i had to use 5 microfiber cloths to wipe off the "stubborn winter yellow grime" near the bottom panels of the doors.... Doing this your marring the paint .. unless you can wash with a proper mitt and a pail of soapy water your basically wet sanding the car.
Since it is winter and -10 or so... it is too cold to use wax products etc...

should I wait until spring? Yes

I am new to this so should i do the following on an odd warm day during winter:

1) wash car Take a pail of hot water and your own car wash mixed in it and use the spray rinse wand to get all the crud you can off the car. Then quickly wash the car with your stuff and then use the rinse wand to get off the soap.
2) microfiber dry it Don't bother in the winter because the rinsing isn't great and you could be rubbing grit into the paint. I just dry the windows.
3) claybar + detailer Wait till spring
4) rubbing compound on any scuffs Wait till spring BUT then come back and ask for the proper technique .. there are many compounds and some will get you in trouble.
5) ??
6) wax

Where does the polish/sealent step go? Polish & sealant are 2 different things .. Polish is used to correct issues in the paint .... sealant does the same job as a wax ... just that sealants last a lot longer.

And what products do you guys recommend? I have some meguiars UQW laying around... Don't know what that is.

thanks a ton

See bold .. As for a sealant I recommend Duragloss #105 and you will prolly have to order it on line .. I think eshine carries it.

·
H2O in hydrant - K9P out
2,169 Posts
Welcome. Check out the Forum section and there is a section about cleaning/waxing etc. When Jesstzn says something we all listen so keep your eye open for his posts in that section. I ordered Duragloss, as J suggested, and am very happy with it......it lasts and lasts and lasts......which means less work for me.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Welcome to the 9th!

I too have taffy white, am complete newb to waxing/washing. Have always used auto car washes for years! Results=swirls.

From what I gather, Jesstzn is the best.

Another thing most are saying to to use a good machine polisher. Most are saying a Porter cable.
Between Jesstzn and a website called Autogeeks, I am learning a lot, and will decide what my cleaning/polising/wax products I will use.
Let my know what you used. Hope it warms up soon, so you can detail your taffy white complete!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Listen to Jezz!! In the winter I just take my car to a touch-less car wash. It pains me to pay so much for a shitty wash that never gets rid of road grime. But it's better than nothing. I clay and use a sealant in the fall just before winter and so far it's holding up, still shiny and beads water.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts