9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old car got totaled recently, I'm debating btw a 2013 non-Si Civic Sedan or a 2013 Mazda 3 Hatchback.
I honestly LOVEEE the new look of Mazda3 (Not to mention Skyactive and BSM) but their trim options suck and the price is high.
But of course, Civic has some advantages too, it's cheaper, good trim options, bigger community, and the new backup camera.
But down side is (I'm sure we all agree on this) the new design is mehhh...

But if I'm gonna go with Civic, I'm gonna get a 2013 non-Si Sedan because I don't drive stick. And since I'm not getting a Mazda3, I'm saving a couple grands and I should might as well mod the hell out of the Civic. So I was wondering what kind of things you can do to make it look nice?
Any good pictures you guys wanna share?
It's so hard to look for a photos of modded 2013 non-Si Sedan because 90% of the people on this forum drive Si. :/

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
My old car got totaled recently, I'm debating btw a 2013 non-Si Civic Sedan or a 2013 Mazda 3 Hatchback.
I honestly LOVEEE the new look of Mazda3 (Not to mention Skyactive and BSM) but their trim options suck and the price is high.
But of course, Civic has some advantages too, it's cheaper, good trim options, bigger community, and the new backup camera.

But if I'm gonna go with Civic, I'm gonna get a 2013 non-Si Sedan because I don't drive stick. And since I'm not getting a Mazda3, I'm saving a couple grands and I should might as well mod the hell out of the Civic. So I was wondering what kind of things you can do to make it look nice?
It's so hard to look for a photos of modded 2013 non-Si Sedan because 90% of the people on this forum drive Si. :/
The si sedan and non si look the same exterior wise.so what you see si is what you get non si.very minor diffs but not vastly.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I agree with eeffbee, differences between si and non si rrally aren't that different body wise interior or exterior. Basically anything that is made for non Si works for si and vice versa. Minus engine and drivetrain stuff of course. But just a heads up don't go looking for performance after you get a non Si because a word of advice from someone with experience is that it will mot be worth it especially if you are looking to smoke Si's or whatever. If you want performance Si is the only way. With all of that said I prefer the refresh models over the 12's just because of my taste in cars but I'm not all that crazy about all of the chrome Honda put on the refresh's and there are plenty of people with non Si's doing all sorts of things to there cars you just have to look. On another note I wouldn't waste my money on a mazda 3 regardless of it's new skyactive tech. Because it's just that "NEW" it's not going to be anywhere near as reliable as a Honda who's been doing relatively the same thing since the 80's Honda is more refined and has some age and experience. Where Ford/Mazda are just dabbling with this new eco boost/skyactive stuff. Anyone can build a car, but it takes time to build a great car.

·
Snake Eyes
1,648 Posts

I have seen some non si civics with coil overs, rims, good tint, and HIDs. They look clean as hell. If you are going to mod your non si, I would stick to cosmetic upgrades. Performance mods are expensive and don't net very good gains for the R18(non si motor). Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Auto trans or manual trans? If manual and if you can, test drive the manual Civic before you buy. See if you think the clutch is on the sloppy side...

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,485 Posts
Not a cop-out, but do searches here on just about any mod you are thinbking of and you will find hits with text and pictures. People here have done great things to their cars.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought 2012 Civic EX Sedan PMM about a year ago. I joined this forum shortly after and I have found a plethora of ways to mod the non-Si Civic, aesthetically and performance wise. But as said before, you're best going with the Si if you want performance. In hindsight, I wish I would have negotiated with the dealer to add OEM accessories such as a rubber floor mats, rubber trunk mat, trunk net, fog lights, interior accent lights, window tint, and especially the 18" HFP wheels. Mainly because now it's that much harder to convince my wife that I need all these add-ons! Plus, it would be built into my payment. Other things I am considering is HID projector retro-fit, Takeda Axle Back, Takeda Intake, beefier lower sway bar, and Civic Hybrid Tail Lights. Also, Plasti-Dip can do wonders for really cheap (emblems, grill, wheels, etc...)! Hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Between a regular Civic and a Mazda3, the Mazda3 wins handsdown in terms of the fun-to-drive aspect. With the SkyActiv technology, it makes it a very lucrative decision to consider over the non-Si Civic. The Civic's handling is not terrible, though.

While the 2013 Civic LX/EX are a much more rewarding car to drive than previous generations, it still won't be as fun to drive as a Mazda3, which in my opinion is probably the best handling compact car you can buy. The Civic is a solid balance of everything. Basically, its just a very good package, while not sacrificing anything in particular. The Mazda3, you might be sacrificing a bit of interior room and material quality (if that matters to you).

With the Mazda3, however, the interior isn't as well thought out or executed, in my opinion. The hatchback models, in particular, left much to be desired in terms of usable passenger space. Additionally, the redesign is coming within the next year or two (so you could maybe use that as leverage to get a better price...I'm willing to bet Mazda will come down far more than a Honda dealer will...check out TrueCar.com for some insight). With the introduction of the SkyActiv technology, the Mazda3's fuel economy went from mediocre to very competitive.

The regular Civic is a very refined, quiet drive, and the bump to interior quality and options for 2013 easily make the interior a better value than the Mazda3 (especially with the backup camera, Bluetooth, USB, and upgraded seat comfort), but it is not as enjoyable to drive hard. For the money, I don't think Mazda can touch the option list the LX comes standard with (though get rid of the god-awful wheel covers ASAP).

Each car has its strengths and weaknesses. Personally, if you want a car that is as sporty as you can get without going to a MazdaSpeed3 or a Civic Si (or their ilk), the Mazda3 is the way to go. But the design and technology (SkyActiv aside) is older and the Civic is more modern and hands down is the more premium, value-laden car. Either car will be a good choice, but you can probably score a better deal on the Mazda than the Civic, and that would potentially be a deal breaker for me.

If you're able to, make sure you test drive both and think about the things that really matter to you in the car. You can't go wrong with either, but when you start to list the driving factors that you want in the car, I think you'll have your answer.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Why no stick?

I'd test drive 'em both.

The Mazda 3 got high marks for handling: "Ride is compliant but not too soft, delivering very athletic moves ... The Mazda3 is fun to drive and feels light on its feet with a lively chassis. Steering is linear and nicely weighted, with the best feedback of the bunch"

Read more: Best-Selling Compact Sedans - Comparison - Motor Trend

Mebbe test drive a Ford Focus or Fiesta while yer at it.

Toyota just announced a new Corolla today:

2014 Toyota Corolla First Look - Motor Trend

·
Registered
2013 ex coupe 5 speed manual
68 Posts
But if I'm gonna go with Civic, I'm gonna get a 2013 non-Si Sedan because I don't drive stick. :/
I don't get this statement. If you don't drive stick, get someone to teach you! Unless you are physically unable to push in a clutch pedal, you should get an Si if you can afford it. Getting my Auto EX coupe (my first automatic car in 16 years), was a big mistake! So boring!! I gave in to spousal pressure (wimp). I'm making payments on a car that I don't even enjoy driving. Is there a reason you don't drive manual? Please don't say driving in traffic!
90% of the people here drive Si because they are the smart ones who are actually car enthusiasts, not just looking for transportation from point A to point B.
Might sound harsh, but I am just trying to save you from making the same mistake that I made.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't get this statement. If you don't drive stick, get someone to teach you! Unless you are physically unable to push in a clutch pedal, you should get an Si if you can afford it. Getting my Auto EX coupe (my first automatic car in 16 years), was a big mistake! So boring!! I gave in to spousal pressure (wimp). I'm making payments on a car that I don't even enjoy driving. Is there a reason you don't drive manual? Please don't say driving in traffic!
90% of the people here drive Si because they are the smart ones who are actually car enthusiasts, not just looking for transportation from point A to point B.
Might sound harsh, but I am just trying to save you from making the same mistake that I made.
Don't be so one-sided on this. Some people cannot drive stick for the life of them, my mother is an example. And a lot of people choose not to drive stick because of traffic, and it's a very valid reason. Foot and leg cramps aren't the best thing in the world for most people.

However, I agree that stick shift is a lot more fun, I drive a 13 Si sedan and it's a blast. I also drive it in traffic, but since I'm young, I don't really care. And keep in mind that many many people just want a car that can save gas, and go from point A to B.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,485 Posts
I say don't not get a stick if you haven't taken the time to learn. Give it a shot. You may love it. Then make a decision on what car you want. An Si may then be the one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts