9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I never did one of these proper introductions even though I've been a member for a while now.

Just picked up my new Si yesterday from Berkeley Honda in San Francisco and then drove it 400+ miles down to the OC. It was a very interesting drive, as it gave me 6 hours to really scrutinize the changes in the new model. I owned an 06 NHBP Si w/ Navi, and the differences between the 2006 and 2012 are vast (things like: smaller area for the dead pedal, harsher engaging points for the steering wheel stalks, etc) - Tons of little things. I plan on writing that up as a review later on.

So here she is. Had a set of Yokohama s.Drive 225/40/18's mounted on my BNIB Mugen GP's this morning. Doing this made one thing very relevant - a drop is needed. Tint will be done this weekend (20% rear, back & cockpit windows / 35% sides) She's dirty at the moment from the drive. But that will be remedied tonight. I'll post up some more pics later :)

Official Stuff:
2012 Honda Civic Si
Crystal Black Pearl
Navigation

Current Mods:
HFP Lip kit
Mugen GP's
Yokohama s.Drives

Planned for the future:
HFP Suspension
CAI
K20 RSX-S Head Swap?
KPro
etc...

·
Registered
568 Posts
The GPs help A LOT but then again they're Mugen GPs, they'll look good on any Honda.

Couple downers for your future plans. You can't swap heads from the K20s/K24s to the K24Z7 because Honda decided to completely change the head design & forget about KPRO unless you're willing to do some hefty work to remove that DBW TB but it can be done because it's been done on an 8th.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats! You should've waited to drop before putting on the wheels.
Impossible. Long story short, I've had those Mugen's sitting in their boxes in storage for the past two years waiting to be put on an Si. I woke up at 7am this morning to get them done before work lol. I couldn't wait any longer.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Impossible. Long story short, I've had those Mugen's sitting in their boxes in storage for the past two years waiting to be put on an Si. I woke up at 7am this morning to get them done before work lol. I couldn't wait any longer.
Should've held out for 4-5 more years to put them on the 10th J/K They look waaay better than the OEM Transformer wheels.

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
nice, can you get some side shots?

·
Registered
152 Posts
car looks great man. Ill be going from an 08 FG to a 12 Sedan shortly. I look forward to seeing your updates and reviews.

my old ride (still keeping, just adding to the garage)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
car looks great man. Ill be going from an 08 FG to a 12 Sedan shortly. I look forward to seeing your updates and reviews.

Glad to hear you're keeping your 8th. There are so many little things the 8th gen has that the 9th doesn't. Or changes that were made from 8th to 9th that aren't good. I don't want to sound like a negative nancy, the 9th gen is an awesome car and I'm loving every minute of it. But you can definitely see and feel the cuts honda made to the 9th gen si.

You can't swap heads from the K20s/K24s to the K24Z7 because Honda decided to completely change the head design
Figures... I was talking with a tech guy while getting my mugens put on. He's a honda fanboi and he told me about the swap. We also disussed the cast-in header. He said that you'll start seeing this a lot more in cars (not just the header, but other parts that can be cast-in). He said that this is actually a Government push to restrict modding that reduces intended eco-friendliness.

I dunno, could be. Either way, it sucks. Guess I'll just be happy to do my CAI/Exhaust. Turbo? I dunno, we'll see.

·
Registered
980 Posts
He said that this is actually a Government push to restrict modding that reduces intended eco-friendliness.
Its the indirect result of emissions, CAFE standards, etc - and Honda is on board with the green game. I wanted to get an Si before all we see from Honda is hybrids and stuff like the CR-Z, lotsa show, not enough mojo/move.

I don't want to sound like a negative nancy, the 9th gen is an awesome car and I'm loving every minute of it. But you can definitely see and feel the cuts honda made to the 9th gen si.
Still waiting for the detailed review and differences you've noticed between the two. Its hard to take those 8th gen only owners seriously but those who moved on or own both are another matter entirely - I do believe there's cuts in areas, but the 9th gen Si seems to still be a great value.

Awesome looking ride - looks like you keep it in perfect condition.

·
Registered
152 Posts
unfortunately, yes. lol. The weather we have here makes hand washing it a **** nearly daily thing! (usually twice a week)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Glad to hear you're keeping your 8th. There are so many little things the 8th gen has that the 9th doesn't. Or changes that were made from 8th to 9th that aren't good. I don't want to sound like a negative nancy, the 9th gen is an awesome car and I'm loving every minute of it. But you can definitely see and feel the cuts honda made to the 9th gen si.
Thank you for being honest even though you're an owner of a 9th.

Zephbane said:
... I was talking with a tech guy while getting my mugens put on. He's a honda fanboi and he told me about the swap. We also disussed the cast-in header. He said that you'll start seeing this a lot more in cars (not just the header, but other parts that can be cast-in). He said that this is actually a Government push to restrict modding that reduces intended eco-friendliness.

I dunno, could be. Either way, it sucks. Guess I'll just be happy to do my CAI/Exhaust. Turbo? I dunno, we'll see.
Sounds like Mr Techy is not up to snuff on the K24Z7 compared to the K20/K24s. Actually the cast in header has already been being utilized by Honda & other manufacturers before 2011.

You could install a test-pipe once they are released by aftermarket companies to eliminate the cat but w/o a true RH this motor will be choked up for the duration. Unless you go turbo then the cat exhaust manifold is a benefit.

·
Registered
12 Posts

What kind of wheels are those? Me likey :dancingcoolsmiley:

---

To OP: Can you post up some pics of your ride with the Mugen GP's?

·
Registered
221 Posts
^They appear to be 2002(7th gen) Civic Si wheels. See:

I'm curious to hear more about this from you - especially since I'm an 8th owner and need an ego booster. My car looks dated even though I take awesome care of the paint work and exterior. Nothing you can do about old design. I still love my navigation, horrible voice recognition aside.

·
Registered
333 Posts
^They appear to be 2002(7th gen) Civic Si wheels. See:

I'm curious to hear more about this from you - especially since I'm an 8th owner and need an ego booster. My car looks dated even though I take awesome care of the paint work and exterior. Nothing you can do about old design. I still love my navigation, horrible voice recognition aside.
The 9th tech is def better then the 8th I know what you mean when you say horrible voice recognition

1 - 18 of 18 Posts