9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
2013 Jan K24 ROTM Winner
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well the title says it, can the stock fuel pump provide enough fuel to run e85 with just bolt ons? And yes I am getting bigger injectors, although trying to decide which ones since the 1000s and 1300s are the same price.

·
2013 Jan K24 ROTM Winner
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Or does anyone know what the LPH rating is on the stock fuel pump?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
2013 Jan K24 ROTM Winner
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok found my answer, the stock fuel pump pushes 135lph.

So here's my thought process
Add 50% (to have enough for e85 and a little buffer as it takes approx 40% more fuel at full throttle and 20% more fuel at part throttle) to my 310cc stock injectors

That would mean I would need at 465cc injectors to push e85

At 465cc times 0.06 gives me 27.9lph

27.9lph times 4 injectors gives me 111.6lph

So if I only need 111.6lph(at full throttle) wouldn't the stock fuel pump at 135lph be good enough temporarily to run e85?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts

Add 50% (to have enough for e85 and a little buffer as it takes approx 40% more fuel at full throttle and 20% more fuel at part throttle) to my 310cc stock injectors

So if I only need 111.6lph(at full throttle) wouldn't the stock fuel pump at 135lph be good enough temporarily to run e85?

The stock fule pump isn't E85 compatible neither are the injectors.

Sent from my XT907 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
The stock fule pump isn't E85 compatible neither are the injectors
If the pump and stock injectors are not E85 compatible, what about all of the other flex pieces of the fuel system?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
If the pump and stock injectors are not E85 compatible, what about all of the other flex pieces of the fuel system?
The other pieces like fuel rail, fuel lines should be good. The only time I believe you would replace these is if you were gonna go boost and needed and extreme amount of E85 delivery.

Sent from my XT907 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
2013 Jan K24 ROTM Winner
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
15 Posts

You needa show me a vid of your car pulling:D:D

·
2013 Jan K24 ROTM Winner
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Go look in the video room I have one in there of 1st to 3rd but its crappy quality from my phone lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
908 Posts
Flex Fuel vehicles just mean they have an ethanol proof fuel system and an ethanol sensor that detects the percentage of ethanol in the fuel and adjusts accordingly without needing to be tuned.

The stock fuel pump should be fine for bolt-ons and E85. For boost it's not even gonna be close to enough though. Definitely gonna want you a 300 lph pump.

·
Registered
143 Posts
E85 and longevity

So, I understand that before you use E85 you have to tune for it to compensate for the difference in octane rating and I think the AFRs need to be different too. However, in the manual it states that anything over E10 may cause damage to the seals and rubber components of the fuel system. I was wondering if there really is any danger of using E85 in the long run as long as you're properly tuned, and if anybody has made that switch, what sort of gains have they seen? I now have access to E85 and want to give it a try!

·
Registered
187 Posts
E85 really does eat up the seals and some of the rubber components of the fuel system. Many manufacturers will NOT cover any warranty repairs caused by E85. Check with your warranty booklet and see what they say before you try. Just my 2 cents...it's your car.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
So, I understand that before you use E85 you have to tune for it to compensate for the difference in octane rating and I think the AFRs need to be different too. However, in the manual it states that anything over E10 may cause damage to the seals and rubber components of the fuel system. I was wondering if there really is any danger of using E85 in the long run as long as you're properly tuned, and if anybody has made that switch, what sort of gains have they seen? I now have access to E85 and want to give it a try!
To run it properly you will need to re do the entire fuel system to run on E85 with no long turn issues.

There are some members running it on stock components. Will it last if it'd run on all the time? No
Will it last if you run it just for a race event? Sure.

Fuel lines, injectors, pump and fuel tank all need to be treated to properly run E85 on a daily basis

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
You do not need to redo the "entire" fuel system. You just need a set of injectors and you are set. If the fuel sender (the level) isn't a sealed unit, it might burn out... one day.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Good to know! Are there any special injectors that are needed, or just anything that's capable of delivering the additional fuel?

·
Registered
7 Posts
e85 questions!?!?!?!?

for those of you tunned on e85, does the fuel sender go bad on it or is there a way to save it on this car. because i have an 8th gen on boost and the fuel sender took a crap because of the ethanol.... please i could use the info for my decision on tunning on ethanol

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
E85 is going to be corrosive on all fuel components. We don't have flex fuel vehicles...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts