9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Oil Air Seperator

10K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  ronco67 
#1 ·
Recently noticed my 13' Sedan LX has sprung an oil leak while changing the oil one day. The oil leak seems to be coming from the rear of the motor. From a quick google search, I discovered the oil-air separator tends to be the issue. Honda even put out a TSB for the 8th gen civic's for this problem. I purchased the Honda repair manual for a guide on how to tackle the job. In the manual, it states to remove the intake manifold the gain access and do the repair from there. Has anyone ever tackled this job? If so how did you complete it?

I can upload images manual images if anyone would like to see!

#2 ·
Are you positive that is the source of the leak? If I am reading correctly, the air/oil separator is built into the block and there is a cover over it. You would just need to reseal the over with some Honda bond.

Removing the intake manifold isn't particularly hard but will probably take some time. You need to remove/unplug all the accessories. Also you are suppose to replace all the o-rings in the plastic manifold as well. Hopefully you can get by with leaving the tb in place.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Just wanted to update the thread. It was indeed the oil-air separator plate that was causing the leak. I didn't follow the factory repair manual's guides as I didn't want to invest the time to remove the intake. So I did the next best thing and went through the passenger wheel well and did it from there. It is a much harder job, but I was able to successfully to it.

Why did I suspect the oil-air separator? Noticed oil dripping down from the rear of the motor but nothing was above the oil-air separator plate only below it. Plus I drive my car slightly "hard" and I read somewhere they're susceptible to leaks.

#7 ·
From what I am seeing there is a V-Tech solenoid on back top of motor that leaks as well which has an oring seal that cracks. It sits above the pcv valve on 1.8. I have a leak on exl with 55k on odometer and have been trying to narrow down If mine is leaking from solenoid or air/oil plate below that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.